Advanced Appearance Settings for Windows 8

MrGRiM

Given how sloppy they are regarding implementing new windows (e.g., that Metro/Modern title bars are just black and big, without adhering to the theme AT ALL) I'd suggest that the time that controlling the desktop through the registry key that MrGrim's control panel alters is limited

It's the inevitable result of Microsoft removing control of the desktop elements, and will spell the doom of "have it your way" desktop look and feel - assuming of course some 3rd party doesn't come along and just re-implement more and more of the desktop management.

I can imagine that at some point someone might completely replace Windows' desktop management / Explorer entirely with an entirely self-contained UI.  But even then, applications will assume they're running on the Microsoft-supplied desktop, which will mean that they're poorly (or non) integrated.

The inevitable demise of the desktop is at hand.  And with nothing useful yet to replace it.  That won't keep of course.

We have seen the golden era of Windows computing come and go.  So...  What's next?  I'm game.

-Noel

It seems like it might be time for alternate Windows shells to make a comeback.  If I remember right, alternate shells such as bbClean were popular back in the Win2K era, but I don't remember how well they played with other apps that assumed that the MS shell was in place.

But Noel, as reluctant as you are to even want to use a non-MS browser, how likely are you to use a non-Ms shell?  :) LOL j/k

Cheers and Regards

We all know it would be better if MS themselves did the software right, but that's just not happening.

I know you're just prodding a bit, but I'm just about things that work.  When a shell or browser or any 3rd party software comes along that's actually better I'll use it.  Don't forget I already use Classic Shell, Aero Glass, and some other 3rd party stuff that actually works now.  If you're suggesting I should want to use Chrome or Firefox just because it's not made by Microsoft, it's understandable that some folks feel that way but alone it's not a valid reason to make a choice which software to use.

If I'm not waiting for anything, am able to see the data I want online, and am not getting infected by anything tell me why I should want to change?  Neither Google nor the open source community writes software that's actually any more functional for my needs, in my experience.  Some folks think Chrome is faster, and it may well be faster on a run of the mill computer or tablet, but Internet Explorer is plenty fast and is perfectly stable on my setup.   Some folks think Firefox has a better color-management model, and it does under some conditions, but those conditions don't exist for me.

One of the few problems I had with Internet Explorer 11 was initially on this very site.  I couldn't paste things into forum posts with the editor implementation here, but that was resolved a long time ago - presumably by changes to the site and/or the browser (via Windows Update).  At the time I used Firefox or Safari occasionally to work around the issue.  Both icons are on my desktop in addition to IE.  But I didn't experience some magical improvement in my web experience.

I know you're just giving me a bit of a hard time, bphlpt, but in reality those of us with experience are just looking for things that really work, and for whatever nefarious motives Microsoft is making broad moves away from "better mousetraps" and seemingly toward "outrageous fashion", probably because it's easier.

-Noel

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hey!  Hopefully somebody's still around on this topic.  I'm not a computer guy at all, just can't figure them out at all, but I just created an account here because I so badly needed this.  My 8.1 experience has been driving me nuts without having advanced appearance setting's around.  First off, I can't believe the zip still worked, so a HUGE thanks for that right off the bat.  After it's unzipped, what exactly am I supposed to do with the HTML app?  Man o man, hopefully someone's still around.  Thanks.