Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Upgrade Windows Server 2012 to R2 with Native Boot VHD

vhd windows server 2012 native vhd upgrade

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

chrislynch

chrislynch
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 21-March 07

Is it possible to upgrade Windows Server 2012 to Server 2012 R2 when Native VHD Boot is used?  So far I have found it's not possible.  I've looked through the DISM documentation and it mentions offline updated, but I do believe that refers to OS patching, not direct upgrades.

If this isn't possible, why not?  I would imagine folks would rather upgrade an OS than deploy new for things like Domain Controllers, infrastructure servers, or even client OS like Windows 8 to Windows 8.1.

------------------------------
Hewlett Packard does not share the same view points or comments that I may post here. My statements/comments/opinions/recommendations are my own, and do not reflect that of HP's.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 6,103 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

this is not possible. Setup stops with an error:

Setup_VHD.png

Posted Image

chrislynch

chrislynch
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 21-March 07

Yes, I'm well aware of the error message when you run setup manually.  That's why I'm asking if DISM or another method can be used to upgrade the OS without a complete re-install or V2P2V.

------------------------------
Hewlett Packard does not share the same view points or comments that I may post here. My statements/comments/opinions/recommendations are my own, and do not reflect that of HP's.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 6,103 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

I know no way. Maybe someone else has an idea.

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vhd, windows server 2012, native vhd, upgrade

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users