Windows XP API Wrapper for win2k issues?

Ok, i was looking up various things where some games "would" run in win2k that wouldnt normally due to API Calls not implemented in 2k that appeared first in XP. (aka AttachConsole() ) i found this: http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-2000-oldcigarettes-windows-2000-xp-api-wrapper-pack.167843/

when at first the link for the Wrapper API seemed to be down (i guess issues w/ Older Firefox :/ *shrugs*) i tried the KDW Wrapper. and That caused an unrecovverable BSOD Stop screen (no Safe mode No SM w/ command prompt no normal mode. (i had chosen all avilable API's to install/update if it matters any)

im now making a dualboot DVD for my Dell Latitude X200 (XP/2k) and a "Supplemental Disc" (which contains my Drivers/Updates as all i got to spare atm are RW's (money's a reall tight premium for me atm.[yes im that broke for a month everysingle cent i get goes towards food/rent] anywho...) while the Dell i have's Media Docking Station came w/ the CD-RW Drive instead of the CD-RW/DVD-Rom combo im using my I/O Magic 24x USB2.0 DVD Burner.

a quick read atm my best updates for 2k is SP4 Update rollup 1, then from here its "Update Rollup 2" and " UURollup" i have downloaded UR2 and UURollup-v10d from http://www.windows2000.tk/#ur2

anything else im missin?

Hi,

1. Did you applied All Windows Update ? If some update were deficient , KDW system install causes BSoD.

2. Did you combine Oldcigarettes API and KDW ? That causes BSoD.

3. Did you read KDW readme ? It shows how to recover from BSoD. If you can control Recovery console or use dual boot envrionment , it is easy to recover to the environment before you install.

4. I don't recommend KDW system install, Now KDW was End-of-Support , and I recomend use Extended kernel.

--

I think Update Rollup 2 is normal update and UURollup is extended update.

i skimmed the readme for KDWbut i think the laptop was updated as far as it could be before it was sold and sent to me.

but the only thing i Can access is recovery console.

if i may ask where can i find then "Extended Kernel" ?

Offtopic sorta , i mentioned im atleast trying to make a dual boot Installer Disc of Win 2k and win XP. i'm using this guide for Easy BootCD to do it but now that i got it for teh most part Stage 2 (GUI stage) Installer for 2k, it errores at the start stating that the digital signature is invalid.

is there any method that still works to DualBoot an installer disc ?

You can recover from KDW 's BSoD with overwrite KDW same

files in system32 from dllcache or SP4SRP file on recovery console or Other Boot by Dual boot.

On Windows XP and 2000 dual boot system , you must keep recently ntdetect.com and ntldr ( and bootfont.bin)

When you install XP at first, you must recover these files after install Windows 2000.

Following Extended kernel project.

http://blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/archives/1299806.html

i skimmed the readme for KDWbut i think the laptop was updated as far as it could be before it was sold and sent to me.

but the only thing i Can access is recovery console.

if i may ask where can i find then "Extended Kernel" ?

Offtopic sorta , i mentioned im atleast trying to make a dual boot Installer Disc of Win 2k and win XP. i'm using this guide for Easy BootCD to do it but now that i got it for teh most part Stage 2 (GUI stage) Installer for 2k, it errores at the start stating that the digital signature is invalid.

is there any method that still works to DualBoot an installer disc ?

Blackcat ok correct me if im wrong but i think i've fouled something up i decided to just reformat/reinstall.

i in order installed SP4 Update rollup 1 (From MS) then the "unoffical rollup 2" the UURollup v10d then Extended Kernel v23e

after installing EK v23e.. its in a reboot loop. "The system process C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\SERVICES.EXE terminated unexpectedly with status code 128. The system will shut down and restart"

is Extended Kernel incompatable w/ Update rollup 2 / UURollup v10d? have i just used older versions? and is v23e the latest for english users? (was a pain and ahalf tracking down a full installer for IE6 SP1 and the required Cumulative update to install 23e)

edit: to be noted: http://w2k.flxsrv.org/cgi-bin/dl.cgi?file=Windows2000-KB935839-v23f-x86-ENU.exe〈= is offline/missing from your Legacy windows update.

Edited by CaelThunderwing

@CaelThunderwing I think you're confusing some things :wacko: (which is no surprise since there are several different unofficial packages for Windows 2000, not necessarily connected with each other :o)

Anyway, first of all, you don't need to install any wrapper if you've already installed an unofficial kernel. You may need to use some files / functions from it to run specific applications but don't try to replace system files directly as it will only lead to a crash.

Secondly, there are two unofficial kernels available for Windows 2000 which have been developed independently from each other. The first one is the blackwingcat's one (already mentioned above) and the other one is the WildBill's kernel. They are not compatible with each other.

Thirdly, UURollup is a package of unofficial updates and other files, including the unofficial kernel. The problem is that up to UURollup-v10d the WildBill kernel was used, and you've just installed UURollup-v10d and BlackWingCat kernel which just cannot work together. BlackWingCat kernel is included in UURollup starting from v11.

Lastly, Update Rollup 2 (and Unofficial SP5) are packages which consist only of official M$ files so they shouldn't cause any problems regardless of which kernel you use.

Edited by tomasz86

• 4 months later...

@CaelThunderwing I think you're confusing some things :wacko: (which is no surprise since there are several different unofficial packages for Windows 2000, not necessarily connected with each other :o)

Anyway, first of all, you don't need to install any wrapper if you've already installed an unofficial kernel. You may need to use some files / functions from it to run specific applications but don't try to replace system files directly as it will only lead to a crash.

Secondly, there are two unofficial kernels available for Windows 2000 which have been developed independently from each other. The first one is the blackwingcat's one (already mentioned above) and the other one is the WildBill's kernel. They are not compatible with each other.

Thirdly, UURollup is a package of unofficial updates and other files, including the unofficial kernel. The problem is that up to UURollup-v10d the WildBill kernel was used, and you've just installed UURollup-v10d and BlackWingCat kernel which just cannot work together. BlackWingCat kernel is included in UURollup starting from v11.

Lastly, Update Rollup 2 (and Unofficial SP5) are packages which consist only of official M$ files so they shouldn't cause any problems regardless of which kernel you use.

Just to confirm, v11 will not install over v10. Just tried today, no luck.

Edited by aofarrell2