Please help with CPU info!!!

Rick

I bought a 1.4gHz AMD Athlon OEM chip with 200FSB and I am very confused about what will actually work with my computer. Supposedly after reading support info from the site I bought it from, if my chipset is a KT133, then there is a double rate or something with Athlon where I can buy a 266FSB. Okay is that true for a KT133 chipset? If it is true, I screwed up and bought a 200FSB when I shoud have bought a 266FSB. How do I change the settings in my mobo in order to support the 200FSB?

Rick

Spitfire - GVC AR862 Motherboard with Integrated Components

MBD001137-00

Weight (Kg): .51

Processor Type: AMD Duron/Thunderbird

Socket Type: Socket 462

Expansion Slots: 3 PCI, 1 AGP

Memory Type: 1GB

Cache: On Processor

Northbridge Chip Set: VIA KT133 VT8363

Southbridge, Super I/O Chip Set: VIA 82C686A

FWH Chip Set: SST M29F00281

Maximum Memory: 1GB

Primary IDE Type: ATAPI Devices, PIO Modes 4 IDE, Bus mastering, Ultra DMA/33, Ultra DMA/66

Vendor ID: 1106

Device ID: 0571

SubSystem Vendor ID: 14A4

SubSystem Device ID: 2132

Secondary IDE Type: ATAPI Devices, PIO Modes 4 IDE, Bus mastering, Ultra DMA/33, Ultra DMA/66

Floppy Drive Interface: On-board VIA 82C686A; 1 - Floppy Drive; 360KB, 5.25in; 1.2MB, 5.25in; 720KB, 3.5in; 1.44MB, 3.5in; 2.88MB, 3.5in

Communication Ports: 2 - 16C550A UART's 9-pin D-Sub; 1 - Parallel Port; SPP; EPP; ECP; ECP and EPP

Audio SubSystems: Analog Device AD1881 Audio Codec

Vendor ID: 1106h

Device ID: 3058h

SubSystem Vendor ID: 14A4h

SubSystem Device ID: 2132h

Certifications: FCC, UL

BIOS Information: SMBIOS: Ver 2.3; APM: 1.2; ACPI: 1.0; PCI: 2.2; PC98/99

Oh, this totally sucks!!!!

This is a MicronPC board and I bought the CPU from Thompson's Computer Warehouse. I called them and a very knowledgeable guy recognized my board right away. He said that Micron tried to dump this off on them about nine months ago because the reality is that even though it is supposed to support 266FSB, it will not support anything beyond a Duron. It will not POST at anything above like 900gHz. I am stuck having to buy a newer board and power supply but the guy was very nice and gave me an RMA with no questions asked. Just on a side note...I highly recommend Thompson's Computer Warehouse because their prices are almost too good to be true and their stuff is quality. tcwo.com

Rick

Yes, chipset is KT133 but in Athlon, you have a "Double Data Rate" which means that it supports 266FSB. See quote below.

First, we would like to clarify where the 200 and 266 MHz front side bus speeds come from. All Athlon CPUs use a "double data rate" that doubles the amount of data that is sent and received on the front side bus signal. The front side signal can be either 100 or 133 MHz, thus the CPU's front side bus can be 200 or 266 respectively.[/quote:0f40e8e2c1]

Rick