Need help slipstreaming Dell Dimension 3000 Drivers

PJAmerica

Hello everyone, I realy need some expert advice on how I can slipstream 5 drivers I need for Windows XP SP3 via nLite. Or if another way that is possible.

I had a Dell Recource Disc for years that provided the drivers for me. I want to add those 5 drivers to my slipstreamed XP disc but they won't. I have even extracted them and tried the inf files as has been mentioned in tutorials on the web. Not al of the drivers even have inf files and the couple that do will not install.

I realy need help with this so I can slipstream them into XP SP3.

The drivers are:

R58201.EXE

R74542.EXE

R78727.EXE

R81063.EXE

R82503.EXE

Edited by PJAmerica

Do some legwork first. Find the filenames on Dell's website and indicate exactly what devices they correlate to. Bear in mind that some packages have software as well as drivers embedded in (e.g.) InstallShield CAB files.

edit - Which "tutorials on the web"? The only valid ones are here in the nLite FAQ and Guide (they are stickied). Other than that, there are several SATA tutorials and drivers on MSFN.

Please clarify. We are "helpers" for those that "do" and we require "more input".

Edited by submix8c

I read the tutorial here and the ones regarding sata drivers etc via google. It's all greek to me. I know exactly what these drivers are for and correlate to.

In no specific order.

Chipset

Modem

Network

Audio

Video

I came here seeking help so I am someone who "does" or I would not be here. There are no cab files. Just the files I noted above. They are the required drivers I need slipstreamed and I have them. Not everyone can make sense of this stuff and so when I do need help after doing as much research as I can then I ask for it.

There are no inf files that work in nlite within the exe files. If you cannot help then I understand. I appreciate your time just the same. Please be kind with me though.

Edited by PJAmerica

All those exe when ran create a C:\dell\.. folder (like those of HP do) and the drivers are copied there with the installer. I'm pretty sure you'll find .inf files in all of those folders. Also if you use softwares like HWInfo32 on that system (if it's up and running), you are likely to find more up to date drivers for your devices on the manufacturer's sites (Intel, Broadcom, ..).

I am aware of where they extract to and what is in them. There are only a few inf files that are available and they do not work in nLite. I am aware of the updated versions of drivers. There are 2 that can be updated and they do not work in nLite either. So I guess there is no other way to incorporate these drivers in a slipstream. Thanks for your time just the same. Have a great day.

Edited by PJAmerica

There are 2 that can be updated and they do not work in nLite either.

They most probably do. We just don't know what you've done. Why not attach your "last session.ini" ? Why not list what you get from the unpacked Dell exe files instead of listing what you don't get ? Why not simply tell EXACTLY what your machine is (model or S/N), maybe someone more patient will tell you exactly what to do. You are the one closing the door here.

You come here asking for "expert advise" with something that "doesn't work", and 6 posts later, the only thing we learned is that "it doesn't work". Fine for you if you know enough. You can stop reading here.

Still just for people looking for info and finding this [uNSOLVED] thread, I think that they have the right to know that this has been done by loads of people. :hello:

Hence my closing the door on it.

Just for the record, and generally speaking, the real issue with closing a door is whether you will be able to re-open it at a later time... :whistle:

And yes, one way or the other driver integrating/slipstreaming has traditionally been solved, it is possible that not all the five drivers that you listed (in no specific order) may be slipstreamable/integrable, but I would bet that three (or more) out of five can alright, and/or you can probably use WPI (just an idea, example):

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/159976-customize-install-window/

jaclaz