Perhaps the Most Expensive New / Used DVD Ever ?

Monroe

I have several very valuable film DVDs in my collection ... dvds that I bought years ago at a "normal" price but have since gone up in value since they have become scarce in the market place. Last year I bought a DVD from Amazon ... new - sealed for less than $7 but was selling for $999 by an Amazon seller. There was one DVD left in the Amazon stock at $6 and change ... didn't think it would be sent to me as there was another DVD of the same film (with a different cover) going for $10 ... package came and the thousand dollar DVD was inside for $7. The DVD for $999 has since disappeared but there is still a seller in the United Kingdom selling the DVD for £69.54 ($111.88) ... I have the DVD still unopened and ordered the cheaper version (with the different cover) instead to open.

Out of Bounds - Sophia Myles ... I happen to be a Sophia Myles fan.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Bounds-Anthony-Michael-Hall/dp/B0002K117E/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1380488969&sr=1-1&keywords=out+of+bounds

You cannot believe what some of the older (some not that old) Disney films (DVDs / tapes) are going for today. Some of the older tapes have high prices also but I would be nervous in paying too much for an older tape to add to a collection ... could break or just be in really bad shape.

I bought this DVD set for under $20 years ago as soon as it was released since I liked John Thaw and the film ... A Year in Provence (1993) ... some prices now for that particular set ... there are other sets cheaper but some are saying they are not the full film ...

A Year in Provence (1993)

John Thaw (Actor), Lindsay Duncan (Actor) Format: DVD

Price: $99.99 & FREE Shipping.

Only 1 left in stock.

http://www.amazon.com/Year-Provence-John-Thaw/dp/B00005NKCN/ref=sr_1_2?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1380493349&sr=1-2&keywords=a+year+in+provence

I have quite a few older DVDs that have gone up in value and they are like new, as I bought them. However, last evening I think I have found the most "expensive" price for a DVD set ever. There may be more out there as I search around for high priced DVDs and tapes.

Hot Springs Hotel: The Complete Series (1995)

1 new from $176,468.15 ... 1 used from $99,999.99

http://www.amazon.com/Hot-Springs-Hotel-Complete/dp/B002F3BPTU/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1380488155&sr=1-1&keywords=hot+springs+hotel

It may be a gimmic or for real ... perhaps a DVD set that was very limited, I don't know but I thought others might might like to see this particular DVD price.

Just this year in May, I finally got around to getting the three seasons of "Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's The Lost World" ordered ... I got lucky on the first and second season ... they were going for just under $20 or slightly over but about two weeks after I ordered and received those two sets they must have become very scarce ... Season one I got for under $20 and sealed ... now look ...

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's The Lost World - Season One (1999)

Price: $93.09 & FREE Shipping.

Only 1 left in stock.

http://www.amazon.com/Arthur-Conan-Doyles-Lost-World/dp/B0000E69H6/ref=sr_1_5?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1380490624&sr=1-5&keywords=lost+world

This was in May and I had just received Season 1 and 2 ... Season 3 is still on order for $23 from Amazon. They have not cancelled my order but I don't expect they will be sending me Season 3.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's The Lost World - Season Two (1999)

Price: $92.59 & FREE Shipping.

Only 2 left in stock.

http://www.amazon.com/Arthur-Conan-Doyles-Lost-World/dp/B0001I2CFC/ref=sr_1_8?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1380490624&sr=1-8&keywords=lost+world

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's The Lost World - Season Three (1999)

7 new from $131.99 ... used from $56.50

http://www.amazon.com/Arthur-Conan-Doyles-Lost-World/dp/B00063MCI4/ref=sr_1_7?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1380490624&sr=1-7&keywords=lost+world

Just thought some might find it interesting what some "older" DVDs are going for these days !!! Search around those yard sales and then find a buyer ... but only DVDs that are in great shape ... no scratches and such which may be hard to find DVDs in that condition.

... just to add about another film. Happen to be a Toni Hudson fan from back in the 80's and she may have been the first teen hacker in a film. The film is "Prime Risk" and the VHS tapes are not cheap but I bought a DVD when they were first sold ... maybe only 5 DVDs were manufactured ... just joking, but no one has a DVD for sale today and I have no idea what that DVD could be worth. It just disappeared very quick and I have read where people "wish" this film would be released on DVD ... well it was released on DVD and disappeared. There must have not been very many copies released.

Prime Risk (1985)

Lee Montgomery (Primary Contributor), Toni Hudson (Actor) | Rated: PG-13 | Format: VHS Tape

4 used from $27.46 ... 1 collectible from $289.95

http://www.amazon.com/Prime-Risk-Lee-Montgomery/dp/B000BT58JS/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1380496046&sr=1-1&keywords=prime+risk

I can't exactly remember where I got the DVD, one of the places online ... that has to be one scarce DVD.

Here is a customer review of Prime Risk ... one of the very early computer films with a pretty teen girl hacker!

This was made in the mid eighties, the big computers used rolls of tape, the desktop machines had five and a quarter inch floppies, and the whole story is built on mumbo-jumbo and double talk about the magnetic strips on ATM cards being recorded as music and "spies" from a foreign power seeking to destroy the United States by an attack on the Federal Reserve System using multiple point electronic jamming.

It's kind of laughable now, and the average second grader can poke holes in it, but it was interesting then and is still kind of fun to watch. Being a pre 9/11 movie they get to fly a light plane around Washington, DC landmarks, run through real airport terminals, and indulge the "really smart girl who is also drop dead pretty and a guy who is misguided but really fairly smart" movie pairing in fun.

It's a romantic thriller comedy, so there is boy and girl stuff, guns, shooting, blowing up stuff, and absurdist leaps of action, but it still easily qualifies for a PG-13 rating-- and might even get a PG today.

Interesting, fun, and a way of looking back at "those days.

Edited by duffy98

Just to stay on topic, I think the CD box set of Zero, Zero is the most expensive. It is around 200+ and 89leer??? I have been searching for this for a long time. It is one of those futuristic films ( made for TV ), like 1984, or THX but Eurotrash style. Simular to the world of Dune in a sense. "Cult" ( Charles Manson types ) from the 1960's and so forth. I want to hear the score so badly, but it is not so popular.

Oh television, I remember those good days. I would go to the store and buy a dub for $24.95 on VHS. Then rush home in glee and happiness, sometimes friends and or family members would have this thing called movie night. We would perform wrestler, and street fighter moves on each other. HA HA HA. But now nobody buys anything anymore

trying to stay on topic with a tight insane smile, ha ha ha. Honestly it is hard for me to say, because I see those DVD, Blu-ray, etc. All I see is plastic rubber begging me to back them up to a solid state drive, and keep on my USB when I use a public computer in the library.

I have tons of CD's, and all, but I do not have the "Quality of life" to afford carrying them around with me all the time.

Lost World was nice, I remember Magaretta being hard headed annoying to work with, in every episode. I perfer Zebbs on "Lexx" but I will look into it, when I get a chance. It is no suprise "Lost World" got a VCD release because like "Highlander" it was made for house wives, who reads those Romance Novels. Like WWF. However it was intresting enough for people to watch over the weekends before going back to work/school.

Edited by ROTS

Its hard to be sure with Amazon because you can't see what the real selling price is like on Ebay. So you can be sure that those DVDs that have a really high price on them probably aren't selling or are joke listings. However, there have been some legitamite items with prices that seemed "wrong" on Amazon that were indeed. Correct.

One example was any of the Season 1, 2 or 3 of the original Transformers DVD set from Kid Rhino. Each set would set you back $150-200! However this was a case of not enough supply was available to meet demand. I had managed to get Season 1 when it was in the store, but the other 2 seasons I did not get until they were re-released, nearly a decade later. A re-release dropped the price down to normal, or in some cases, below normal.

Another oddity caused by short-printing and other factors, is the case of MVP Baseball 2005 for PC. EA Sports had lost the baseball license shortly after publishing the game. While the console versions all managed to get out, the PC version got pulled shortly after release. Mix in the fact that it was the last baseball game available on PC, easily modded (and huge mod fanbase) and shortprinted results in its high price tag on Amazon of $130. That's for a sports game from 2004, almost 10 years ago! Not a collector's edition or anything.

http://www.amazon.com/MVP-Baseball-2005-PC/dp/B0006SL92O/

Yes Tripredacus you are right about Amazon prices ... for instance I can not find anything on why that particular DVD "Out of Bounds" was so high priced except for one small mention last year somewhere on the internet ... I just searched around and can no longer find the mention ... but it basically said the dvd had been produced by a company that did not have permission to make or release that particular dvd product. I can't be sure that I actually have that same dvd or that is really the reason the dvd has such a higher value. Just nothing to be found on the subject ... the "Out of Bounds" dvd cover of the higher priced one is much nicer than the cheaper $8 to $10 dvd product.

Out Of Bounds [2003] [DVD] ... higher priced version

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Bounds-Anthony-Michael-Hall/dp/B0002K117E/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1380549882&sr=1-1&keywords=out+of+bounds

cheaper version ...

Out of Bounds (2004)

Sophia Myles (Actor), Merlin Ward (Director) | Rated: NR | Format: DVD

Price: $8.99 & FREE Shipping on orders over $25.

Only 1 left in stock.

http://www.amazon.com/Out-Bounds-Sophia-Myles/dp/B0001Z4PSC/ref=sr_1_4?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1380551194&sr=1-4&keywords=Out+of+Bounds

but as you say, some prices seem for real and I'm afraid the TV show "Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's The Lost World" ... all three seasons ... is for real unless there is a re-issue in the future. I was going to get it last year but kept putting it off. At least I grabbed the first two seasons before the jump in price. Another great show from the 1950's was "Sea Hunt" ... they give credit for people wanting to suddenly go scuba diving when it hit TV ... a whole new business started ... scuba shops, charters, instructors.

They just released four seasons and Amazon was selling them at $12.99 each in April ... and the prices have started to slowly increase ... no telling how many sets were issued but I got mine at $12.99.

Sea Hunt

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dmovies-tv&field-keywords=sea+hunt

Ah yes, the "famous" million dollar +++ book for sale on Amazon. Heard about it last year ... interesting things on Amazon!

Actually, when I was younger I did have a bug, insect collection but I didn't properly prepare some of them and a "fungus" pretty much destroyed most of my collection !!!

Yes Tripredacus you are right about Amazon prices ... for instance I can not find anything on why that particular DVD "Out of Bounds" was so high priced except for one small mention last year somewhere on the internet ... I just searched around and can no longer find the mention ... but it basically said the dvd had been produced by a company that did not have permission to make or release that particular dvd product. I can't be sure that I actually have that same dvd or that is really the reason the dvd has such a higher value. Just nothing to be found on the subject ... the "Out of Bounds" dvd cover of the higher priced one is much nicer than the cheaper $8 to $10 dvd product.

Out Of Bounds [2003] [DVD] ... higher priced version

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Bounds-Anthony-Michael-Hall/dp/B0002K117E/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1380549882&sr=1-1&keywords=out+of+bounds

You can't find Out of Bounds on Ebay, but only on Ebay UK. On there only 1 copy of the movie sold and it is the "2003" version and for less than the used price. I want to say that maybe Amazon has the pictures flipped, since no copies of the one with the house in the picture were there.

ROTS ... I'm a bit confused on what you were saying in your earlier post ... spent some time late yesterday checking out what you posted.

You say "I think the CD box set of Zero, Zero is the most expensive. It is around 200+ and 89leer??? I have been searching for this for a long time. It is one of those futuristic films ( made for TV ), like 1984, or THX but Eurotrash style. Simular to the world of Dune in a sense. "Cult" ( Charles Manson types ) from the 1960's and so forth. I want to hear the score so badly, but it is not so popular."

I am assuming you meant DVD instead of CD and the only mention of a film that I can find of a film called "Zero" is a Polish film from 2009 called "Zero" ... not for sale on Amazon USA or UK.

Zero (2009)

110 min - Action | Drama - 23 October 2009 (Poland)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1519661/

There is a short trailer on Youtube with some music from the film playing, if I have the right film.

Zero (2009) trailer

I couldn't get the link to appear correctly ... but it's there.

This web site from Poland has info ...

http://www.filmweb.pl/film/Zero-2009-478499

Seems to be a hard film to locate but maybe somewhere in Europe there might be a copy available.

also found this site ...

Film: Zero (2009)

http://www.ekino.tv/film,zero-zero-2009,6586.html

Edited by duffy98

I was thinking more about the TV made movie called "Zero Zero". It comes in a CD box set. The box set is directed around the music that was

scored for that one TV film. It is a short story, about a utopia futurisitc world, and one is not allowed to have any emotion ( simular to THX ). I forget the rest, but I like intresting odd things like that. I am pretty sure it is expensive because the "artist" will not sell it anywhere else or lessin the price. Probably because they are basing the price off inflation.

Edited by ROTS

ROTS ... Ok, I understand better now, the comma between Zero, Zero threw me ... I only saw Zero as one word. You didn't give a date for the film ... is this the film you are talking about?

Zero Zero (1983)

TV Movie - 42 min - 1983 (Australia)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0445850/

It says TV movie ... may have seen it one time on cable, not sure.

I didn't check Youtube for any clips, sometime people put a whole film on there ... it will be in sections or parts but at least a person has something till finding something better.

... I see from my first post that the "most expensive" DVD ever is no longer listed as for sale ... only the used price of $99,999.99 is still there.

Hot Springs Hotel: The Complete Series (1995)

Rated: Unrated | Format: DVD

Available from these sellers.

1 used from $99,999.99

http://www.amazon.com/Hot-Springs-Hotel-Complete/dp/B002F3BPTU/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1380488155&sr=1-1&keywords=hot+springs+hotel

Well for anyone just reading this thread now ... there really was a DVD listed there as "new" going for $176,468.15 ... maybe it sold at a lower price, maybe it never existed, who knows. Anyone that has a copy of the Hot Springs Hotel (1995) set may still have something of value.

Edited by duffy98

• 1 month later...

Here we go again ! ... I bought this DVD from an Amazon seller on Jan 31, 2013 ... The Deadly Look of Love ... there were not many available and my cost was $2.46 + shipping. It was new and sealed. I was just now checking some prior DVD purchases and now see the price of this DVD listed as $31,200.70 ... there are no longer any "new" ones listed for sale just this one used DVD. It's crazy ...

The Deadly Look of Love (2000)

Meg Hogarth (Actor), Phil Jarrett (Actor), Sollace Mitchell

1 used from $31,200.70

http://www.amazon.com/Deadly-Look-Love-Meg-Hogarth/dp/B000JMKJPU/ref=sr_1_3?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1384875535&sr=1-3&keywords=the+deadly+look+of+love

There are some later editions but I have the 2000 release.

Check them old DVDs and don't be using them as a "Frisbee" !

... update, I see the $31,200.70 priced DVD is gone or whatever but there are now two used ones for sale, each going for $100.

Edited by duffy98

buyerninety ... I guess with the Season One Lost World set around $100 ... give or take ... that's one way for someone to see what they missed. I was lucky to get Season One and Two but missed out on Season Three. Amazon quietly canceled my ordered ... had it locked in for under $24, it just "went away".

• 2 years later...

I'm a rabid collector myself - VHS, DVD, Bluray, 3/4" you name it - and have amassed several rarities. The most obscure is probably a VHS of a softcore erotica from 1980 called Centerfold, with Playmate Martha Thomsen - that ran me $225. I tried to back it up on a DVD but couldn't get round the copy protection even with a destabilizer. Now it is impossible to find at any price. I also got one of the limited edition box sets of Camera Obscura, the Walerian Borowczyk set that Arrow put out in 2014. It ran me about $210 but is now virtually impossible to find. Amazon lists one addl copy for sale at $1700! Mine is in excellent shape aside from the paper wrapper that encircles the box and split in one corner. If that decreased the value, I don't much care because the rest is perfect.

In any case, so many of these prices online are completely arbitrary. The DVD of Deadly Look of Love is a great example - $32000 is psychotic for a single movie let alone an obscure one! And here it is 3 years later, the cost has fallen to below $20.

Of course the most notorious DVD collectible of all time is the nimbus white ring edition of Saló, by Criterion - some copies have sold for $600 - but imho it's far inferior to the re-issue because it lacks the book and supplement disc. Hard for me to imagine that anyone would seriously pay that much for a little piece of white plastic.