Office Shrinker [reduce source of o2k3/xp/2k]

buckeyeXP

Hi ppl

Im looking to use this office shrink , would someone please explain how to use?

i m using office 2k3 the folder is 400mb and it needs to be reduce to get onto to my cd....

Thanks

Hi

I am trying to use this with office 2k. I greated a .mst file from an adminitration point made by someone else in our company. I keep getting the following error message when running officeshrink3.

Windows Installer

This patch package could not be opened. Verify that

The patch package exists and that you can access it.

or contact the application vendor to verify that this is

a valid Windows installer patch package.

Is this talking about the .mst file? The Custom Installation Wizard can read it.

I gave it a go but unfortunately it pauses at the first setup screen of the normal office install as though it is not using the unattended.mst

should your code use the /qb switch to force setup to use the unattended.mst perhaps?

I've tested it on Office 2003 CD1 French professional version without any luck. If I choose to abord office install, it only copies the root files and then just stops. If I choose not to abort, it says "error time out" in a small popup.

BTW I just discovered how great is the custom office 2003 install (the setup that creates the mst file), you can also integrate your personal OPS file :)

Ok im back....

@squallgreg: This dosent work on any language but english :)

@pmcx9: Yeah i designed it that way so that i could stop it before office was finished installing. But i think i have come up with a way to do it with /qb

@EFudd: Yeah i fixed taht problem in Office 2K.

I fixed a lot of things yesterday but i have to work a couple of things out before i release it. :/

So probably later today there should be a version up that works for office 2K, XP and 2K3.

@squallgreg have you read this? http://unattended.msfn.org/xp/office2003_advanced.htm

it should work as it does with mine.

@bucketeye

the tray icon disappears now almost straight away.

it seems to finish prematurely at this point

2004-04-01 00:16:58 : Unattended.MST

2004-04-01 00:16:58 : <---------------------------------->

2004-04-01 00:16:58 : Command Run: C:\office2\SETUP.EXE TRANSFORMS=C:\office2\Unattended.MST

2004-04-01 00:17:01 : <--- Exclamation Sound Muted/removed:

for O2K3 what directories are:

INSTMSI.EXE

INSTMSIW.EXE

SETUP.INI

located in??

Unless office was already installed i think that is the reason that the install box didnt show up.

This is what is looks like in 2k and XP. The box ontop flashes as the files are being copied over.

post-70-1080693210_thumb.png

There is a new download up:

I tried to test it with office 2k3 but i have a S@*tty version, I was able to test the process and it works.

But when i add the /qb argument it gives me a corrupt disk error.

So, if somebody could test for office 2003 and let me know if they get an error or if it works ok

If nobody else gets that error then im pretty sure this is finally complete. :rolleyes:

Hopefully i have not spoken too early. :)

i have tested the office shrink on 2k3

it was reduced to 293mb but when i did an admin point it still went up to 632mb

the install of the 293 would not install due to corrupted cab file the only way i can install is through an admin point....

hope that helps people if anyone knows how to compress this office would be gratefull

NOTE: if you have it install everything in your mst file this program is not going to save you that much. This removed files that are not needed in the install.

I just want to clarify incase that was in question

@farte: you have to run office shrink from the admin point. It will not work the other way. Also are you planning on installing every option? If so this method will not save you that much

@buckeyeXP when using shrink from a admin point only get 18mb in the office folder and just fails to install not sure whats the problem

i have defaults installment but looking at removing powerpoint and infopath i need to reduce office to at least 300mb if possible