Office Shrinker [reduce source of o2k3/xp/2k]

buckeyeXP

ok let me clarify... The most important thing is that you dont already have office installed on the machine that you run shrink on. The idea behind a fresh install is that you will have only the files that you have after installation as to insure that office will completely install on an unattended install.

It is really to cover my behind. That way if it is a clean install of windows i dont have to figure out what isnt working.

@Chris Lee: i dont know what the deal is with your problem. i have never had that problem. Ill look into it further

@buckeye - i bet you're wishing you never released this super handy tool now? i mean, you probably spending more time trouble shooting it than it took you to code it :)

when i made my Unattend.MST file, as part of the wizard I told it that I wanted it to remove completely any previous versions of office that were on the pc... maybe this is why mine worked even though i already had office xp installed?

anyway :rolleyes: i'm very happy that you decided to release this tool buckeye... now everything I ever wanted fits onto a single 700mb cdr disc

Well, I tried office shrink on a VMWare XP Pro, it still gave me 7 mb, the prompt said.. However, after closing the prompt, I get a error 25003 or something that say setup files are corrupted and when I press ok, it exits. How can this be?

Here it is ladies and gentlemen.

I added another option for the language support. I overlooked the fact that the word for "Error" changes in different languages and fixed that.

It should work fine for the Dutch language now. Devilrunner... im looking at you for conformation on that.

I also think i came up with a simple solution for those of you that shrink does not close for.

The file is in the first post.

1.) Slipstream and make the MST file according to MSFN's instructions. XP O2k3

2.)Run Office Shrink(It is pretty self explanitory)

@devilrunner: I dont know why it would do that. try running it again. The thing that dosent make sense to me is that the file on the error and the file on the log are different. If there was a problem copying they would be the same. Try copying G:\OFFICE2\FILES\PFILES\MSOFFICE\OFFICE11\MSAEXP30.DLL manually and rerunning office shirnk.

buckeyeXP,

I've read through previous postings and run into the same error as devilrunner.

When I put some extra info in the shrink.ini file where it says "Office setup EXE=SETUP.EXE" into "Office setup EXE=c:\office\original\SETUP.EXE" I get an error telling me "Execution not succesful. Command Run: C:\office\final\c:\office\original\SETUP.EXE TRANSFORMS=unattended.MST /qb FAILED"

Is this this perhaps a hard coded problem that is pointing to the "Final" instead of the "Original" directory. Although when I run the utility originally, I get the error on every file it would place in the "Final" place. So you have to start "Shrink_lang" over and over again. Every time the error occured, the file is actualy placed in its destination directory.

Regards,

wghout

@wghout: This is not the same error as devilrunner is getting. And no it is not supposed to be pointed to the origional directory. It has worked for many before you i dont see how the code could be wrong now.

Delete you shrink.ini file and run the program with out it.

If you are trying to get another language to work. delete it and run without, then change only the language settings and rerun.