Office Shrinker [reduce source of o2k3/xp/2k] Cut it down from 600 MB to 75 MB
Posted 06 September 2005 - 02:39 AM
Anyone got an answer to this, maybe it's my virtual machine that doesn't work correct, I didn't install any additions cause I don't know where to download, thx in advance...
Posted 06 September 2005 - 06:47 AM
It starts ok for me , but half way into the process the progress bar starts going backwards, and eventualy quits. Office doesn't get installed.
The answer might be somewhere in here but I didn't have the time to read over a dozen pages just to check.
EDIT: after further searching I found others had similar problems. BUT I tried to install manualy, but with /qb only, not /qb-, and I found out I have a LOT of files missing !!
This post has been edited by xtremexxx: 06 September 2005 - 07:13 AM
Posted 23 September 2005 - 12:59 AM
Successfully shrinking the source of Office XP, but not for Office 2K.
Just selected Office 2K: Microsoft Word & Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Tools & Documents, others removed by Office Shrinkler.
Attached is the log file as u suggested, pls help to indentify where the mistakes might be.
Number of downloads: 54
This post has been edited by sunamigaza: 23 September 2005 - 01:01 AM
Posted 04 October 2005 - 02:02 AM
any help would be appreciated. I can post my log files if you want
Posted 04 October 2005 - 07:47 AM
First of all many txs to buckeyeXP for this great little app... I've been using it for a while now and it has never failed me... So dude, BIG UP... . (btw... I wouldn't mind having a look at the source... hmmm... no asking no spanking.. lol )
@h11 : Hmmm.... the answer is YES... lol. It works great... .
Thought it would be a good Time for a complete recap....
This is for Office 2003 Pro + SP2 + KB904631 and all work is being done on XP Pro SP2 Full Updates platforms.
What you will need:
- Office 2003 Original Full source from CD.
- Office 2003 SP2 (Full NOT Client). Here
- KB904631 Outlook 2003 Junk E-Mail Filter update: September 2005. [/URL]Here
- A virtual machine ready with xp SP2 installed and all updates. (That ya got to figure out by yourself... ).
- buckeyeXP's Office Shrinker... iunno... first page... lol
- Microsoft Office 2003 Resource Kit (To be installed on virtual machine). Here
- 7zip (To be installed on virtual machine). Here
- A reshacked version of 7zS.sfx module (For completely silent install). Info Here
- Not mandatory but very handy "Open Cmd Here Powertoy" (To be installed on both physical and virtual machine). Here
On your Computer create 2 Folders in "c:\" O2K3 and SP2
1 - Create an Admin install from your original Office source (CD ?) and install in O2K3 Folder. (More info on topic Here.)
"Full Path to Office source"\setup.exe /a
2 - Splitstream Office 2003 SP2 into your Admin Install. Place your Office2003SP2-KB887616-FullFile-ENU.exe in "c:\"
! - The result of the Extraction will give you 6 files including 3 *.msp files... Only 2 ( MAINSP2ff.msp and OWC11SP2ff.msp ) will be splitstreamed, the 3rd one being an update on office xp web components (Probably only needed when using SP2 on an upgraded version of Office XP... not the case here...).
Extract: (cmd prompt from c:\) Office2003SP2-KB887616-FullFile-ENU.exe /Q /C /T:C:\SP2 Splitstream: (cmd prompt from c:\SP2) msiexec /p MAINSP2ff.msp /a C:\O2K3\PRO11.msi SHORTFILENAMES=TRUE /qb msiexec /p OWC11SP2ff.msp /a C:\O2K3\OWC11.MSI SHORTFILENAMES=TRUE /qb
3 - Splitsream KB904631 the only non included update for full phishing protection... Place office2003-KB904631-FullFile-ENU.exe in "c:\"
Extract:(cmd promt form c:\) office2003-KB904631-FullFile-ENU.exe /Q /C /T:C:\SP2 Splitstream: (cmd prompt from c:\SP2) msiexec /p OUTLFLTR.msp /a C:\O2K3\PRO11.msi SHORTFILENAMES=TRUE /qb
You're done for the splitstreaming part...
4 - Shrinking Office: (From now on all happens on the virtual machine).
! - You need a clean install of windows with NO Office software previously installed (I use VMWare and clone a full XP SP2 all updates for this purpose).
1) Copy your O2K3 folder with the Office 2003 SP2 you've just created to the "c:\" of your fresh virtual machine.
2) Install Microsoft Office 2003 Resource Kit on your virtual machine if you haven't done it yet and create your own Transform file you will name Unattended.MST and save in c:\O2K3 on virtual machine. (More info on topic Here.)
! - If you have Office 2003 installed on your physical computer you can create an *.OPS file using the "Microsoft Office 2003 Save My Settings Wizard" or "Profile Wizard" in ORK. This allows you to further tweak your install easily by integrating your actual Office settings into your *.MST... (Keep in mind that at compression stage you will have to include your *.OPS file as well as your *.MST file in the 7z archive but nothing else changes...).
! - Keep in mind that the resultant *.MST file is what will determine the size of your shrunk source so take the time to consider all the apps and modules delivered by Office 2003.
3) Once done... run buckeyeXP's shrink_lang02.exe on your vitrtual machine and follow instructions... (For the rest of the example we'll assume shrunk source is placed in c:\Office2003 on the virtual machine...)
My results at this stage:
Office 2003 SP2 + KB904631 Full source = 637mb
Office 2003 SP2 + KB904631 Shrunk source = 422mb
MST = Keep Access/Excel/Outlook/Word + Most tools and Xtras...
5 - Compress the shrunk source ... (If ya haven't installed 7zip yet on the virtual machine this is the right time...).
Copy your Unattended.MST from c:\O2K3 to c:\Office2003 and compress the entire shrunk source + Unattended.MST to Office2003.7z (Using LZMA method at Ultra compression Level). * If you've used an *.OPS file with your Unattended.MST don't forget to include it in your Office2003.7z.
My results at this stage: 156mb... lol...
6 - Creating the silent .exe (You need a reshacked 7zS.sfx module and a config.txt).
1) Delete everything from your c:\Office2003 on virtual machine except the newly created Office2003.7z
2) Create a config.txt file you will save as UTF-8 format in c:\Office 2003
- With progress bar and cancel option:
;!@Install@!UTF-8! RunProgram="setup.exe TRANSFORMS=Unattended.MST /qb-" ;!@InstallEnd@!
- Totaly Silent:
;!@Install@!UTF-8! RunProgram="setup.exe TRANSFORMS=Unattended.MST /qn" ;!@InstallEnd@!
! - More info on switches that can be used in your %OfficeSource%\SETUP.HTM
3) Place your reshacked 7zS.sfx in that same folder.
4) Open a cmd prompt in c:\Office2003 and type:
copy /b 7zS.sfx + config.txt + Office2003.7z Office2003.exe
This will create your silent .exe in the same folder...
Well seems we're all done.... Copy your fresh Office2003.exe out of the virtual machine to your computer.....
Did I forget anything ? Leme know....
Some little Xtras:
- For some reason, even if your *.MST specifies that some options should be kept "locked" and "unavailable", MS Installer won't keep track of those settings and will still offer to install those Items when using the Add & Remove programs | Change or remove MS Office wizard... ??? If anyone has an answer on how to effectively getting rid of unwanted objects from the installer (like graying and really making option unavailable) please let us know.... Btw, this has nothing to do with buckeyeXP's Office shrinker...
- Some of you peeps might want to have a closer look at the Setup.ini files located in your "%OfficeSource%\FILES\SETUP\" and "%OfficeSource%\FILES\OWC11\"... Check the [cache] options at the end of those files...
- Also... It seems Microsoft has released an Enhanced Version of the Office 2003 installer that supports more [cache] options. It can be found Here.
- Usefull links :
Office 2003 Resource Kit Downloads
Description of Office 2003 Service Pack 2
Preparing to deploy Office 2003
This post has been edited by XXsplit: 05 October 2005 - 05:29 AM
Posted 07 October 2005 - 06:21 AM
Awsome right up on this I will try your guide this weekend. I have already slipped streamed office 2003 sp2 with all hot fixes as of 4 Oct 05. I was having problems when I ran the office shrink program it would run for about 1 minute then give me an error. But I am willing to try it again thanks
Posted 07 October 2005 - 08:33 AM
1) Office 2003 Original source (ie with no updates at all) only needs SP2 and KB904631 to be fully up to date...
2) Most of the errors people get with buckeyeXP's Office Shrinker occur because it is run on a machine that has had Office software installed at one time... Not sure if it's your case though...
! - As a reminder, it is mandatory that NO Office software be installed on the virtual machine you are working with prior to running the Office Shrinker. If you've installed it to get your *.OPS file ready, simply uninstalling Office will not work... You will need to reclone your virtual machine...
Well i hope you'll get it to work.... It tok me ages the first time i remember.... lol
Posted 09 October 2005 - 01:41 PM
I read somewhere that you cannot use the 'shared folders'-option of the VMware-windows, and that you have to use the c:-partition on the virrtual machine to avoid errors. Maybe some of the above mentioned problems can be solved this way?
So: as an extra step, I copy my slipstreamed source to the VM's hard drive before using ORK or OfficeShrink. Works like a charm!
THX again, BuckEyeXP and XXsplit!
Posted 12 October 2005 - 08:10 AM
I followed all your steps and what do you know everything worked perfect. I was able to get my office Down to 200 mbs this includes word, outlook, excel, powerpoint, publisher, access, office infopath and all plugins that come with the office 2003 corporated ed. thanks
Posted 12 October 2005 - 10:03 AM
Hmmm.... note that using the exact same technique and same Office 2003 Resource Kit to create your *.MST you can:
- Create an admin install of your Office 2003 PTK
- Splitstream the PTK SP2 into the admin install
- Create your Unattended.MST for PTK with Office 2003 Resource Kit
- Use the 7zip technique to get a compressed silent instal off 520mb more or less.... (Original splitstreamed admin source around 1.2Gigs).
What you need:
- Your Office 2003 PTK source CD
- Office 2003 PTK SP2 Here
- Office 2003 Resource Kit Here
- 7zip Here
- A reshacked version of 7zS.sfx module Info Here
Now buckeyeXP.... time to integrate a new feature to enable the same shrinking capacities on PTK... ;p
Posted 13 October 2005 - 12:26 PM
for the portuguese language, the shrink.ini is wrong and i was unable to use the program.
retry=&Repetir <-------- (CORRECTED)
error=Erro <-------- (CORRECTED)
Office Setup EXE file=INSTALAR.EXE <-------- (CORRECTED)
Office Setup MST file=Unattended.MST
after this changes the program run well
i hope this can be useful for someone.
sorry for my terrible english. cya!
Posted 17 October 2005 - 02:16 PM
first of all my ini
Office Setup EXE file=SETUP.EXE
Office Setup MST file=unattended.MST
office2003 folder contains office2003 with sp2 slipstreamed (created with a admin install setup.exe /a)
I am attempting to shrink it on vmware with a fresh install of windows xp sp2.
Office 2003 sp2 is in the "office2003" folder (source)
the "office" folder (target) is i assume a folder created by shrunk with the new version in?
But i am not too sure. As i keep getting errors unable to find xx file in office folder. But ofcourse you won't aas thats the destination, the source is Office2003? Am i missing something (show all files and file types is set)
Cheers for any help
Posted 19 October 2005 - 08:23 AM
Bry, as much as i would like to help you out i can't....lol... the reason is i never had to modify my shrink.ini so i don't know what it looks like... lol
I will have a go at it as soon as i have a min to myself and will get back to u if i find anything wrong with what you posted... In the meanwhile the only advice i can give you is.... Do it again and again to test out the results... lol
Posted 20 October 2005 - 04:13 PM
Try changing your mst file to something like office.mst instead of
I had a problem with my mst if it was over 8 characters long
Hi thansk for that but no luck im afraid. This is the noly thing stopping me from compelting ym unattended dvd:(
One of the errors img etting is :
Error 1308. Setup cannot find the required file C:\Office\FILES\PFILES\MSOFFICE\OFFICE11\1033\XLREADME.HTM. Check your connection to the network, or CD-ROM drive. For other potential solutions to this problem, see C:\Office\FILES\PFILES\MSOFFICE\OFFICE11\1033\SETUP.CHM.
Yet this file exists in the c:\office2003\ fodler i.e. my soruce fodler as is defined in the ini yet its looking for it in the destination folder???
Posted 20 October 2005 - 06:51 PM
When adding all the missing files, it just keeps getting errors for more and more files. The end result is approximately the same as before using the prog, minus a few components.
I thought the program was great when I first started working with it, but now it feels like it really sucks.
It might however work for some people with their hardware/software/language/installation configurations, but it certainly doesn't work for everyone at all times.
Some notes: It has worked for me a few times, in both virtual and physical machines. It has successfully slimmed down the installation source, but as I said it is a bit too effective.
Posted 24 October 2005 - 02:28 PM
Anyway, want I want to ask fot is a version for Microsoft Visio (2003). Is it possible? cause I really think its setup is pretty much the same thing with the office setup ... Correct me if I'm wrong
And, if it is possible, will it be implemented? It would be awesome to have a complete suite of "xxx_shrinkers" for all miscrosoft office products (visio, project, onenote) ... until then all I ask for is the visio version.
Please post back if you do have some spare time to work further at this project.
Sorry my English, I'm just dizzy right now.
This post has been edited by sadicq: 24 October 2005 - 02:29 PM
- ← MS PowerPoint 2007 automation via vbScript
- Microsoft Office 97-2013
- XL Hours & minutes calculations →