Got the version I mentioned above working (1.3066)
Not sure if that will let the installer work, if it will work on Win95. If the installer won't work, disconnect from internet and install.
Edit: This does let the installer work, but now I can't log in? I'll keep poking around.
Further edit: It does work, I'm putting all the steps I've taken here, not sure if everything is necessary, but...
1. Download the version I have linked to above
2. Disconnect the PC from the internet
3. Run the installer, it may hang for a minute, but will eventually run.
4. Reconnect the PC to the internet.
5. Start Skype, you will see the ugly update box, tell it yes or no (doesn't matter)
6. Add line to hosts file and reboot
7. Start Skype and enjoy.
Edited by Steven W, 04 October 2013 - 08:35 PM.