Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Oldest computer os that you own

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

Poll: what the oldest OS you have running on one of your computers? (110 member(s) have cast votes)

what the oldest OS you have running on one of your computers?

1. Windows XP (23 votes [24.21%])

Percentage of vote: 24.21%

2. Windows Millenium (3 votes [3.16%])

Percentage of vote: 3.16%

3. Windows NT (2 votes [2.11%])

Percentage of vote: 2.11%

4. Windows 98 (11 votes [11.58%])

Percentage of vote: 11.58%

5. Windows 95 (21 votes [22.11%])

Percentage of vote: 22.11%

6. Windows 3.1 (15 votes [15.79%])

Percentage of vote: 15.79%

7. Other version (20 votes [21.05%])

Percentage of vote: 21.05%

Vote Guests cannot vote

sven

sven

iPod therefore iHappy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • Joined 13-August 03
Just wondering how many of us are still in the stone age, im still running 2 windows 95 machines!!!

*Make sure your still using the machine also, those old computers in the closet dont count :). neither does virtual pc. this is the main OS.
Posted Image

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Datalore

Datalore

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Joined 05-October 03
Not counting any crappy public computers (like our school's) the oldest thing I'll work on is XP :)

Doggie

Doggie

I'm very inactive :(

• Patrons
  • 2,676 posts
  • Joined 13-October 02
well, as i fix computers every so often, i only myself work on XP, but i client of mine, just upgraded to 95 :/ lol

Crispy

Crispy

Retired Yiffy Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts
  • Joined 14-September 02
I still have one machine running 95, but I only touch it when I have to repair it :)
Posted Image

IcemanND

IcemanND

MSFN Junkie

• Super Moderator
  • 3,266 posts
  • Joined 24-September 03
I keep a dos 3 machine around to play those old games that just don't run any other way, or you can't play because the new system is to fast to even see things move.

Shotgun

Shotgun

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Joined 07-November 03
My dad STILL has a working, IBM XT clone! MS-DOS 3.30, no windows. He still uses it for writing out letters and some number-crunching (taxes? anyone?) with AS-EASY-AS (shareware). He still has an Epson FX-286e printer (he re-inks his cartridges himself). So I guess he has the oldest PC! He mostly uses his Pentium 4-1Ghz PC (Windows 98!!! ) but still uses the old "frankie" PC for simple stuff. It boots to command prompt in less than 30 seconds!. hehehe :)

A year ago I still had a working 386-DX-40 Mhz MoBo, but since I bought my current PC a 960 Mhz Pentium III PC with 256 MB RAM and 80GB HD, I kinda "donated" it to one of my cousins who's in a vocational school.

Everytime I see my dad working in the old PC, I joke him about donating it to the Smithsonian or to an antique shop. :rolleyes:

jayroller

jayroller

The Hindoo Howdo Hoodoo Voodo Man of George Formby

• PipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Joined 15-July 03
Well, I've got a P1 box running 98SE as a winamp player downstairs, but technically the oldest os I use on a (ok, semi-) regular basis is ZX Basic on my faithful old Sinclair Spectrum (48k, of course :rolleyes: ) And for anyone who remembers them, the reason is 3fold - 1) the feel of that keyboard, with its easy to see commands printed on, 2) one of my all time fave games, iD and 3) pure nostalgia. And of course for the fact that when it crashes, a flick of the switch and it resets in about 2 seconds. Beat that, microsoft :)
I think, therefore I'm right.

Gism0

Gism0

Huh?

• PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • Joined 11-November 03
the oldest thing i use day-to-day is xp, but i have a pc using win98
Wise man say, "forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza." -Michelangelo

likuidkewl

likuidkewl

[Centos~]$

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • Joined 16-September 03
NT 4 Machines at work, damned US government is so far behind!
BLOG...

gamehead200

gamehead200

SEARCH!!! SEARCH!!!

• Super Moderator
  • 7,039 posts
  • Joined 02-September 02
Windows 3.1! :)

Virtual and non-Virtual PC! :rolleyes:

Shotgun

Shotgun

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Joined 07-November 03

NT 4 Machines at work, damned US government is so far behind!

You really believe that! I work at an university, and they still have PCs with Windows 3.0 !!!! The previous university I worked with had PCs with DOS 3.0!

And they wonder why students "hack" their PCs all the time. :)

p.d.: Not the whole campus, but some departments are somewhat cheap-minded and they want to "squeeze" the maximum life of their systems. Try to explain "technology development" to those guys!

sven

sven

iPod therefore iHappy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • Joined 13-August 03

Windows 3.1! :)

Virtual and non-Virtual PC! :rolleyes:

what, then how come you never showed it to me?!?
Posted Image

cjharr

cjharr
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 23-March 04
:D Still using a :afro: 286 laptop for network trouble-shooting calls. Also use dial-up and Apache web browser :rolleyes: for DOS when I can not get on my computer at home. Finally upgraded the DOS from Zenith 2.1 to MSDOS 6.22 and Windows 3.0 for some of the older games that I still own. :)

Ghost

Ghost

• 35 posts
  • Joined 09-October 03
Im sittin on a win 98, 2000, and 3 XP machines. I refuse to use 95 anymore.......
You can not see me
I am not here
I am a figment of your imagination

tuxman

tuxman

• 47 posts
  • Joined 09-July 03
why do people still use 95
I am suprised at the level of use of this OS . the poll even states a high percentage when i voted
Posted Image

b0rk

b0rk

• 28 posts
  • Joined 28-March 04
I actually have a diskette of DOS 2.01 somewhere at home :)

b0rk

b0rk

• 28 posts
  • Joined 28-March 04
**Edit** Don't know why but my post appeared twice. Sorry mods, not sure what happened here. :/

CyberDrac

CyberDrac
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 24-February 04
I have disks somewhere with Windows 2.01 (I think) ... and I did have disks for Windows 286 & 386 (a lesser known variant) somewhere but I'm buggered if I can find them anywhere. I also have some very old versions of DOS lying around however the only ones I can put my hands on are 5.25" DOS 5.0 although I have a Research Machines version of DOS 3.12.

CD

b0rk

b0rk

• 28 posts
  • Joined 28-March 04

I have  disks somewhere with Windows 2.01 (I think) ... and I did have disks for Windows 286 & 386 (a lesser known variant) somewhere but I'm buggered if I can find them anywhere.  I also have some very old versions of DOS lying around however the only ones I can put my hands on are 5.25" DOS 5.0 although I have a Research Machines version of DOS 3.12.

CD

Yeah, actually your post just reminded me that at home I've also got a boxed copy of Windows /286. LOL those were the days! :)

FthrJACK

FthrJACK

I am a PC...

• Patrons
  • 3,394 posts
  • Joined 16-August 01
i have DOS 5.1 someplace.. not that its used.

ZaPbUzZ

ZaPbUzZ

• 25 posts
  • Joined 08-June 03
windows 98se stripped to 90mb no media or internet intergrated.
I use winamp and mozilla firefox with java.
with Irfanview and some other 3rd party tools,
Its a very strong system with a celeron 1ghz and 512mb ram.
As far as im concerned, I wont need to even touch windows 2000 for at least 5 years.
Even then, I'd still stick to 98se cuz its the best OS of the last decade.
Give me DOS anyday NT sucks.

ZaPbUzZ

ZaPbUzZ

• 25 posts
  • Joined 08-June 03
**supplimental**

I dont need a swapfile at all.
Instead it starts when memory runs out completely.
I partitioned my 40 gig hdd to keep a separate 2 gigs just in case the paging goes nuts.
I have instant-on memory paging even though my system is running after 0.980 seconds cold boot.
This is as 32 bit as anyone should need at home especially when free personal firewalls are out and better than xp.
like sygate and zonelabs.
AVG Antivirus better than norton and free.

magicfly

magicfly

<< I live in the 80's >>

• PipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Joined 14-June 03
i have on disk WINDOWS 1.0 :D

please don't ask me if i use that :)

bye bye guys!! :rolleyes:
PC Configuration: Pentium IV 2.8 Ghz - Gigabyte 8IPE 1000 PRO2 - 2 GB RAM Kingston - ATI Radeon X1600 - HD1: DiamondMax10 300GB SATA - HD2: DiamondMax Plus9 120GB SATA - HD3: DiamondMax Plus D740X 40GB EiDE - HD4: WD MyBook 500GB Essential Edition - DVDR: LG GDR8164B - DVDRW: Pioneer DVR-109
Software Configuration: Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

iCEhOT

iCEhOT

Junior

• Pip
  • 80 posts
  • Joined 18-November 03
I think I still have a copy of DOS 3.33 lieing around somewhere, dont use it of course, I'm using XP pro :)
Posted Image

Tarun

Tarun

Spectre

• Super Moderator
  • 3,190 posts
  • Joined 27-January 04
On my oldest pc (appx 10 years, and it just died a while back) it ran DOS-SHELL.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users