Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Serious computer build experience.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Rick

Rick

• PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Joined 18-August 01
I need to talk with somebody that truly is experienced in putting together a computer. If you want to help me out...please PM me and I will let you know what I have and what I want to have.

Rick
Welcome to MSFN!

Read the Forum Rules
Posted Image

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

FthrJACK

FthrJACK

I am a PC...

• Patrons
  • 3,394 posts
  • Joined 16-August 01
ask chris.. or me to a lesser extent, but chris sounds like your man for this Q :)

Rick

Rick

• PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Joined 18-August 01
Yeah, Chris sounds like the overclocker, build it yourself man. I want to upgrade my machine bigtime. I need an ATX case, I need a new mobo, fan supply, and CPU...if I go with the new DDR, then I will need some more RAM...but why not...the darn stuff is only $36 bucks at crucial.com. I'm not going to do some fast buying on this, I'm looking at reviews and picking out the best of each (with decent price in mind)

Rick
Welcome to MSFN!

Read the Forum Rules
Posted Image

FthrJACK

FthrJACK

I am a PC...

• Patrons
  • 3,394 posts
  • Joined 16-August 01
im building a new box at the moment too, plan to have

Athlon 1.4ghz
Athlon DDR chipset
Burnproof burner
dvd, cd combo
40gb HDD
minimum 256mb DDR
geforce 2 or 3 card
turtle beach soundcard (make do with soundblaster x gamer till then)

ill be adding other things no doubt... just picking and choosing at the mo, and buying cables etc. getting a 80mm drive bay fan (only £15 ) to cool the HDD down through post at mo, and some IDE leads, ill order the case shortly

case from h*tp://eclipse-computers.com (very cheap bits, match any UK prices!)
RAM from Crucial.com
leads and fans from aria.co.uk
check out the copper heat sinks at h*tp://www.aria.co.uk !!

xper

xper

Insane Clown

• Administrator
  • 20,155 posts
  • Joined 16-August 01
:erm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Become an MSFN Sponsor Now! Keep Up MSFN Running

Read MSFN Forum Rules
Not a member? Donate here!

XPerties

XPerties

MSFN OG Senior

• Patrons
  • 2,994 posts
  • Joined 18-August 01
Whats up guys, I heard someone say they want to build a computer? Thats my field of XPerties....Let me know what kind of cost is and we can work out the best hardware for your system!:)

-Chris

You want some Glock with that?
★ :::: Xbox Live GamerTag = ScreamingSkulls

Rick

Rick

• PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Joined 18-August 01
Chris, I will email you with details but I am basically building the same sys. as fthrjack.
1.4 gHz Athlon chip...266 FSB support
Need ATX case with probably 300W fan.
Mobo that supports DDR.
DDR 256mHz...definetely going to buy from crucial.com
I have all other components such as 30GB HD, DVD, Burner, Soundcard, modem, nic card, floppy drive, video card, new cooler master heat sink that cools up to 1.7gHz...all up to date enough for me except video but that will have to be phase 2.

I have been reading tomshardware.com's reviews in order to research the best mobo's out there...I was looking at an enlight case with 300W PS and there were bunches of good reviews but then I got down to the not so good ones that complained about getting the case with PS not working at all or it dying in 3-9 months.

Rick
Welcome to MSFN!

Read the Forum Rules
Posted Image

Aaron

Aaron

The MSFN Banana

• Patrons
  • 5,767 posts
  • Joined 17-August 01
how do I find out if the DDR RAM I have in my new PC is unbranded or Crucial? I asked in my specs for Crucial DDR RAM, but I get the feeling that they put in unbranded. Is there any software that will detect the brand I have? I will have to try out sisoft sandra pro 2001 to find out, but any other suggestions are welcome :)

XPerties

XPerties

MSFN OG Senior

• Patrons
  • 2,994 posts
  • Joined 18-August 01
theres 2 programs, I think Doc Memory allows you a spec on memory...Check it out

ht*p://www.overclockers.com/tips79/

-Chris

Aaron

Aaron

The MSFN Banana

• Patrons
  • 5,767 posts
  • Joined 17-August 01
these two programs look like RAM benchmark programs... (not what I wanted) Can it really find out what brand of DDR RAM I have?

I guess I will try out DOC Memory first

XPerties

XPerties

MSFN OG Senior

• Patrons
  • 2,994 posts
  • Joined 18-August 01
ya but if you read on spec sheet under program it allows you to view items about that specific ram. Like I said Im not sure if it says exzactly what kind of ram you have. My suggest would be go on a ram website like crucial and enter the serial number that can be found on the ram itself....pony site will give you a run down on ram.

-Chris

Rick

Rick

• PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Joined 18-August 01
If sis sandra works for sure, then I want to get that and run it on my computer as well. Do you have it Aaron? I am going to look for it now. Like I told Chris, I am trying to fix it up so I can serve FTP but for some reason, nobody is ever able to sign on to me when I have BPserver running. Tried to get on IM with Chris but I am not able to get MSN to work from my computer.

Rick

:mad:
Welcome to MSFN!

Read the Forum Rules
Posted Image

FthrJACK

FthrJACK

I am a PC...

• Patrons
  • 3,394 posts
  • Joined 16-August 01
umm pull the cover off the pc and read the crucial sticker on the RAM ?
im sure you dont want to invalidate your warranty tho and u wont do that...

Rick, you cant get MSNm to work? EH? have you got a hotmail account? are you on a network or connected to a router? have you got a firewall running? let me know, you should have MSNm working no problems... if not, its probably somthing to do with why BP-Ftp wont work too

XPerties

XPerties

MSFN OG Senior

• Patrons
  • 2,994 posts
  • Joined 18-August 01
ya rick...Its a must to get MSNmessanger to work. FthrJACK and I talk once in ahwile....the question jack asked, are you behind a firewall...ect ect. Let me know, and open a hotmail account.

-Chris

Aaron

Aaron

The MSFN Banana

• Patrons
  • 5,767 posts
  • Joined 17-August 01
I can't get MSN Messenger working at college either, pain in the a** proxies.

I did an IPCONFIG /ALL to find some information, entered IP numbers in the HTTP Proxy options in MSN Messener, had no luck. also Newsgroups, IRC and FTP is also blocked (f***ers)

XPerties

XPerties

MSFN OG Senior

• Patrons
  • 2,994 posts
  • Joined 18-August 01
Sounds like your school is on a router which from past experiance gives xp messanger, and remote assint major promblems.

-Chris

Guest_LouCypher_*

Guest_LouCypher_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --
I seem to recall there is a good "System Information" section of Motherboard Monitor 5 that will tell you who made you RAM and what speed it is. It seems I had some RAM that was labeled PC-100 rated for PC-125...

Motherboard Monitor homepage:

h**p://mbm.livewiredev.com/

Rick

Rick

• PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Joined 18-August 01
Oh man Aaron...you are seriously restricted from the best stuff...you'll have to write up a list and go d/l everything when you get home I guess.

Even if I try to set up a .net account for msn, it won't connect to the server. I haven't seen anybody else complaining about it on here so it must not be a problem of which XP version I'm using. I'm using Sygate firewall (BTW--Chris, do you get a lot of code red attack alerts using sygate?)

Rick
Welcome to MSFN!

Read the Forum Rules
Posted Image

Rick

Rick

• PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Joined 18-August 01
Okay, got signed on...firewall was blocking access.

Rick
Welcome to MSFN!

Read the Forum Rules
Posted Image

XPerties

XPerties

MSFN OG Senior

• Patrons
  • 2,994 posts
  • Joined 18-August 01
Rick-

Never recieved any code red attacks. ARe you using the latest sygate version, especially made for XP? You say you got signed on, to MSN Messanger? If so give me a look up online sometime in the future!

-Chris

Overlord

Overlord
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 27-September 01
Some mobo's you may want to check out are:
Gigabyte GA-7DXR
ABIT KG7 (several versions)
these are good OC boards and use a new chipset (760 I think)
the abit board uses all softbios switches whereas the giga board uses dips and some softbios. Both use DDR( they where designed from the ground up with that in mind)and are 2nd gen AMD based DDR boards.
Whatever mobo you pick, if you are looking at amd760 chipset boards, they all perform quite closely. So its more a matter of price and features.
P.S. they both support raid

Rick

Rick

• PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Joined 18-August 01
I tell you that I am just stuck on the new KT266A chipset...not to be confused with the one that was released in April. I think this one is referred to as Pro or something like that. I saw a review of it on Tomshardware and it looks great but there is no list there for who plans on using this chipset in their boards. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Rick
Welcome to MSFN!

Read the Forum Rules
Posted Image

BAH

BAH

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • Joined 04-September 01
Aaron,

Im sure sandra soft gives all info on memory..

Here

Regards,

BAH

Rick

Rick

• PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Joined 18-August 01
I don't think that Sandra will tell Aaron what he is asking for...the posts above tell the answer...look at the chip as I am sure Aaron has figured out by now.

Here's what I got after researching and losing sleep over which new hardware to buy.

Enlight Mid-Tower 72370X3C ATX Case 300 Watt Power Supply Bundled with an 80x80mm Case Fan--Dont' comment on P/S probs...I already know.

512MB of Crucial DDR PC2100 RAM

1.4gHz Athlon (Thunderbird) 266FSB processor

And the mobo: ECS K7S5A Socket A Motherboard w/Sound. Not one that people are raving about but Tomshardware did a complete review using this board and the SiS® 735 System Chipset. Results show that this board was right up there with the top Athlon chipsets and board proved to be stable. Great price too.

I will pull cables and other components from my current computer. Now I just have to wait for UPS to get all the parts to me!

Rick
Welcome to MSFN!

Read the Forum Rules
Posted Image

Guest_aMb_*

Guest_aMb_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --
Rick, I would avoid the ECS motherboard. Personally I would go with a better make in the market. Number one for me at the moment has to be EPoX, they are still a smaller manufacturer, but they are becoming extremely popular due to their good stability and other features.

They are selling the new Via KT266A chipset, whcih I would personally recommend in mid-October, which is what I'll be purchasing too. It is going to be called the Epox 8KHA+, and the model before this has got high reviews at a large range of places:

http://www.vr-zone.c...eviews/ep-8kha/
http://www.amd3d.com...p8kha/index.htm

Other options on the motherboard could include Abit, Asus or MSI, but personally EPoX seems to be best.

RAM and CPU is fairly straight forward, you may want to wait for the Ahtlon 4, Palomino which has rated speeds of:

XP 1500 - 1.33GHz
XP 1600 - 1.4GHz
XP 1700 - 1.47GHz
XP 1800 - 1.53GHz

I would defiantly urge towards Crucial too for RAM, and make sure to get PC2100.

For the case, I guess there are a few competitors, and I personally would not go with Enlight. Fong Kai, Antec, Coolermaster or Lian Li would be my preference for cases. Check out http://www.theoverclockingstore.co.uk for more options. I own a Juno P6, which was cheap and cheerful, which looks good, and was cheap, around £70 I think.

Oh, and for the heatsink go with TaiSol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users