Jump to content

Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account


Photo

How to save as unicode?

- - - - -

  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1
thedogcow

thedogcow

    Newbie

  • Member
  • 12 posts
Just wondering how to save the xml as unicode, as this is the source of my xml not working :)


How to remove advertisement from MSFN

#2
visaversa

visaversa

    Face it...

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts
open your xml in notepad or wordpad, save as "unicode" type.
thats it...

Attached Files



#3
thedogcow

thedogcow

    Newbie

  • Member
  • 12 posts
thanx m8 :)

#4
mconger

mconger
  • Member
  • 4 posts
Wraith: Great work. this little guy is a lifesaver.

I did run into a glitch when I changed over to 1.0.5. I'm running an unattended install (not from CD, won't fit.). I stage everything onto the local laptop from the network, including Xplode and the XML for the platform. It appears something gets lost in using xcopy or copy to stage the xml over to the new platform. The original XML on the network works fine, but any copied XML just gets a complaint of it not being in Unicode format. Does anyone have any idea how to copy a Unicode ASCII file and maintain that encoding? I've tried xcopy and /a and /b switches on copy. No luck.

Thanks!

#5
SlimShady

SlimShady

    Member

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts
I can't answer your question, sorry.
But I have a workaround:
- Copy the contents of the ASCII XML file
- Create a new textfile
- Paste the content into the file
- And save as Unicode

#6
mconger

mconger
  • Member
  • 4 posts
Slim,

Thanks, but I have a working Unicode file on my server, but when that file is copied to the platform where the unattended is being staged it apparently looses that encoding. Doesn't exactly work for an unattended automated isntall to have to go through and rebuild those xml files by hand on every platform.

#7
Alanoll

Alanoll

    CODE tags people, CODE tags!

  • Patrons
  • 5,496 posts
when does the file get copied over?

if you're running it at GUIRunOnce and copying over, then starting XPlode, you could just point XPlode to use the XML file directly on the network.

you could try the /G /K /X

one might work, dunno
Welcome to the Forum! Please READ Me!!
Alright, that's it for the site for now. Now on to the next project....which could concievable replace the current site :)

#8
KMan

KMan

    Newbie

  • Member
  • 29 posts
Hi!

did you check the file after copying it ?
it would be helpful to know what actually changed.
is it really converted back to ansi, or did it loose its unicode header ?

and this might be a little extraodinary for such a little problem, but you might also consider, instead of copying the file to its new location, create an sfx and let it extract at the proper time to its new location.

This is not elegant, but at least might be a soltion if you need one quickly!

Greetz

KMan

#9
mconger

mconger
  • Member
  • 4 posts
Alanoll,

I prestage pretty much everything locally, so its copied during that phase. I haven't tried those switches I'll take a look.

#10
mconger

mconger
  • Member
  • 4 posts

Hi!

did you check the file after copying it ?
it would be helpful to know what actually changed.
is it really converted back to ansi, or did it loose its unicode header ?

and this might be a little extraodinary for such a little problem, but you might also consider, instead of copying the file to its new location, create an sfx and let it extract at the proper time to its new location.

This is not elegant, but at least might be a soltion if you need one quickly!

Greetz

KMan

Kman,

The file appears to be intact. I did a diff on the two and came back with no changes. If I open the file that is giving me problems and open save as it defaults to Unicode formating. I'm guessing something of the header didn't quite make it. I may have to resort to some kind of self extractor. That's a good idea that I hadn't considered.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users



How to remove advertisement from MSFN