XP SP2 Slipstream Bloated. Over 800 megs

mrclasik

When I try to slipstream SP2 into my CD the ISO is like 882 megs. I am slipstreaming it into my SP1 CD, is this wrong. I have no special programs in OEM or anything,, Is there something I am missing.. I used the XPCREATE method, and normal extraction-intergrating. Same thing for both.

I think you may need to wait for the final. The betas of SP2 are much larger because they have debug symbols and other junk included. It shouldn't matter whether you slipstream over a SP1 copy or a retail copy. I slipstreamed SP4 into my SP3 copy of Windows 2000 with no problem.

One possibility: Just in case you overlooked this, make sure you are not including the downloaded service pack file when you create the ISO. I believe it's around 200MB isn't it, so that would certainly explain the unusually large size of the ISO.

@mrclasik did u try to integrate sp2 after running xpcreate?

if so it could create some problems :) (not problems but some things will be installed over again)

edit: something i've just discovered. when sp2 is installed the sp1.cab is not being used. so it might be good idea to slipstream sp2 to a clean xp disk.

@mrclasik: The problem is that SP2 adds/replaces files on the ORIGINAL Windows XP CD. If your trying to intergrate it into the SP1 CD, then your replacing those files but SP2 doesn't DELETE THE OLD SP1 FILES.

Therfore, you have (in effect), a SP2 slipstream CD with a few hundred MB of SP1 specific files (which will never be used).

Hope that clears up your confusion. :)

Another thought: Are you including your old $oem$ folder? All the updates, including media player, are in SP2, so there is no need to update old windows components, including those that are not system files.