Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Title Bar Text and Background in Windows 8.1

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

YourNumbr1Fan

YourNumbr1Fan

• 17 posts
  • Joined 29-October 13

Hi everyone!

I'm wondering if anyone here has had any success in finding a way to remove or hide the rectangle image that MS has added behind the text title on the title-bar in Win8.1?

I know that changing the text color itself can be done in WSB (Style-Builder), by editing the color for the text in the Windows & Caption Buttons drop-downs, and I've been able to do that.

But the rectangular background, something that isn't in the 'Dwm Window' in 8, but MS has idiotically included in 8.1, is driving me nuts!

I'm currently using "Work for Windows 8", a dark-bordered theme by neiio (deviantART) http://neiio.deviant...ows-8-337353688

Screenshot:

s8BMDZi.jpg

1)- As can be seen, the theme, at defaults, has the color for explorer window-text in the title bar as black (which I've changed to a light grey after making this capture) 

2) and 3)- But other open windows, like the Control Panel and the frames around programs have the irritating image behind the title bar texting. Sure, I can change the text to black, I think, but the rectangle will still show. Even adjusting the color settings in Personalize doesn't touch it. 

I've tried stuff with the Registry.....can't seem to change it....I'm at a loss. It's driving me bonkers!!!!

I hope someone smarter than me can (or has) find a way to either get rid of it completely or edit it for dark themes.

Thanks ahead of time to anyone who responds!

Edited by YourNumbr1Fan, 30 October 2013 - 12:08 AM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

ace2

ace2

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Joined 12-June 13

Good news:
You can use Aero Glass (DWMGlass.dll) but i think you know this already, and are look for a way to remove this problem from the theme itself, without using Aero Glass (DWMGlass.dll). ;)

Bad news:
There are only two people on this forum who could help you with this problem, but don't hold your breath. :P

If you do find a solution for this problem Please POST IT. Thanks ace2. :thumbup

DosProbie

DosProbie

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 747 posts
  • Joined 16-October 12

Donator

Well for starters its a W8 theme not a 8.1! and I would say adjust the menu bar color but the color intensity slider and color mixer dont work as well with that theme
With the 8.1 beta2 aero I get a halo or glow around the text. :sneaky:    ==>http://glass8.berlios.de/win81.html

Work_Aero_with_Glow.png

Edited by DosProbie, 30 October 2013 - 04:49 AM.

YourNumbr1Fan

YourNumbr1Fan

• 17 posts
  • Joined 29-October 13

Good news:
You can use Aero Glass (DWMGlass.dll) but i think you know this already, and are look for a way to remove this problem from the theme itself, without using Aero Glass (DWMGlass.dll). ;)

Bad news:
There are only two people on this forum who could help you with this problem, but don't hold your breath. :P

If you do find a solution for this problem Please POST IT. Thanks ace2. :thumbup

Well for starters its a W8 theme not a 8.1! and I would say adjust the menu bar color but the color intensity slider and color mixer dont work as well with that theme
With the 8.1 beta2 aero I get a halo or glow around the text. :sneaky:    ==>http://glass8.berlios.de/win81.html

Work_Aero_with_Glow.png

@ace2: I've tried the Aero Glass, along with the Alpha 1 and 2 mods for 8.1, the .dlls, editing the registry as instructed, etc.....to no avail. The program just doesn't work right on my computer, or I'm doing something very wrong. Errors, errors, errors.

@DosProbie: Why is running a Win8 theme so peculiar? Win8 themes work fine in 8.1 for the most part. Sure, I know there are some differences, but many themes are made to run on both os-versions. Please explain EXACTLY how you got the Work theme to look like that?

Edited by YourNumbr1Fan, 30 October 2013 - 05:27 AM.

DosProbie

DosProbie

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 747 posts
  • Joined 16-October 12

Donator

Contact the author (neiio) and he can revise the msstyles for 8.1..DP

ace2

ace2

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Joined 12-June 13

DosProbie, What is the point in posting a working method (Pic), if you are not going to explain how you where able to get it working. :wacko:

DosProbie

DosProbie

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 747 posts
  • Joined 16-October 12

Donator

Ace, you did not read my post above #3 or else you would not be asking..DP

ace2

ace2

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Joined 12-June 13

Yes i read your post, and it don't explain how you did it.

DosProbie

DosProbie

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 747 posts
  • Joined 16-October 12

Donator

MrGRiM

MrGRiM

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Joined 17-October 12

Donator

Another way to remove that is using a blank font, it will remove the text on all windows as well as the box.

Here you go mate I made one for you with the blank text and also made another with white text, there are also 2 reg files included for the system metrics, that is very important to apply as they don't work in Windows 8 when you change themes, they keep the system metrics from the default aero theme unless your using Windows Style Builder and then they get applied, I also included my own shellstyle.dll, you can rename the old one if you prefer no folderband, although by the looks of it in your screen you don't disable the ribbon anyway so you wont see it either way.

I also included the blank font you will need.

http://www.mediafire...3xc6z/Theme.zip

Here are a couple of screens with and without text, I am also using Aero Glass so the box doesn't show anyway on mine.

f58rsmsbn031rpjfg.jpg
n77qp1l7d7u1npsfg.jpg

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

Aero Glass for Win8 developer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts
  • Joined 18-August 12

As I remember correctly, you cannot remove background color on frame titles. They are rendered very simply using GDI: CreateBitmap -> FillRect -> DrawText. But I'm not sure whether brush color used for FillRect can be different from frame color, I didn't study it so much.

Aero Glass for Win8.x --> http://www.glass8.eu

ace2

ace2

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Joined 12-June 13

Another way to remove that is using a blank font, it will remove the text on all windows as well as the box.

Here you go mate I made one for you with the blank text and also made another with white text, there are also 2 reg files included for the system metrics, that is very important to apply as they don't work in Windows 8 when you change themes, they keep the system metrics from the default aero theme unless your using Windows Style Builder and then they get applied, I also included my own shellstyle.dll, you can rename the old one if you prefer no folderband, although by the looks of it in your screen you don't disable the ribbon anyway so you wont see it either way.

Here are a couple of screens with and without text, I am also using Aero Glass so the box doesn't show anyway on mine.

f58rsmsbn031rpjfg.jpg
n77qp1l7d7u1npsfg.jpg

Very nice MrGRiM and well done, can you Please make it work on windows 8.1 with StartIsBackPlus, Thanks ace2. :thumbup

YourNumbr1Fan

YourNumbr1Fan

• 17 posts
  • Joined 29-October 13

f58rsmsbn031rpjfg.jpg
n77qp1l7d7u1npsfg.jpg

Mark-----YOU ARE AWESOME MATE!-----I LOVE YOU, I LOVE YOU, I FREAKING LOVE YOU! (in a completely hetero way, of course, haha!)

Thank you so much, my friend!---This site doesn't have 'Likes' or 'Thanks' modules, or I'd definitely add them to your post here. But what I will do, if it's OK with you, is 1st) ask neiio if I can re-up his modified versions of this theme (your mods) to mediafire, and, if he says yes, 2) ask YOU if you'd mind, and if YOU say yes, then 3) do a follow-up video to my 1st Win 8.1 video on my YouTube with the fixes you've modded. 

If both or one of you say 'No' however, I'll just keep this between us here and be happy you've found a way around yet another of Microflop's stupid "improvements".

QKM0u9H.jpg

OG3pO1V.png

Edited by YourNumbr1Fan, 30 October 2013 - 05:56 PM.

MrGRiM

MrGRiM

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Joined 17-October 12

Donator

Your welcome Jimmy, don't worry about giving me any credit mate, it was nothing, you can ask Neiio if he wants you to post it or he he wants to add an update.

YourNumbr1Fan

YourNumbr1Fan

• 17 posts
  • Joined 29-October 13

Your welcome Jimmy, don't worry about giving me any credit mate, it was nothing, you can ask Neiio if he wants you to post it or he he wants to add an update.

Thanks Mark, but yes you get the credit if he says it's ok with him. Unless you just forbid it, that is, LOL!

You're awesome man.

:yes:

Edited by YourNumbr1Fan, 30 October 2013 - 06:54 PM.

DosProbie

DosProbie

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 747 posts
  • Joined 16-October 12

Donator

Good Job MrGRiM! and especially like your device icons as well..DP :yes:

helmutcheese

helmutcheese

Junior

• Pip
  • 74 posts
  • Joined 17-September 13

I do not have any glow or background to my text in Explorer windows or IE windows, I use Classicshell (the IE part of it controls this) and it has settings to do either but I have not used the explorer side of it so not sure why they are ok as they are.

Berrypicker

Berrypicker
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 01-December 13

f58rsmsbn031rpjfg.jpg
n77qp1l7d7u1npsfg.jpg

I am having the same exact issue that you have fixed with another theme by neiio. I would like to have the text and black background removed.

http://neiio.deviant...ows-8-379225979

Can this one be done the same?

link6155

link6155

• 17 posts
  • Joined 04-February 13

Hey, how do you revert the changes made to the registry?

MrGRiM

MrGRiM

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Joined 17-October 12

Donator

Hey, how do you revert the changes made to the registry?

You need to run a registry file with the default settings, I have attached one for you, log off to see changes.

Attached Files

Edited by MrGRiM, 29 December 2013 - 07:17 PM.

neiio

neiio
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 04-January 14

Here is a reg file that will change any themes font to blank, 1 in Windows 8.1

also included one to change it back to default.

Stil need the colorization hack for the background. ;)

You'll need to log off and on to notice the changes.

http://sta.sh/08ccm9ua7dr

Also can I just say hi and you guys are amazing.  Congrats.

IanRuss88

IanRuss88
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 05-January 14

Hi, Everyone. I have same problem with Snowy 8 Theme in windows 8.1 

Title bar text is white and borders are black but the is also black "box" behind the text. Looks very ugly if you know what i mean. I am new in this customization so if iI will be very thankful if you can help me.

Here is screenshot of my problem

shot.jpg

IanRuss88

IanRuss88
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 05-January 14

f58rsmsbn031rpjfg.jpg
n77qp1l7d7u1npsfg.jpg

f58rsmsbn031rpjfg.jpg
n77qp1l7d7u1npsfg.jpg

Can you help me Lord of Themes aka Mr Grim to fix my theme? I am using windows 8.1 and theme Snowy 8. 

screenshot:

nimet_n.jpg

ace2

ace2

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Joined 12-June 13

Completely remove the caption text in Windows 8.1

Old

Download neiio Post #21

Edit Blank.reg TO

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics]
"CaptionFont"=hex:00,ff,00,00,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,\
  ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,\
  ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,\
  ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff
"SmCaptionFont"=hex:ff,ff,ff,ff,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,90,01,00,\
  00,00,00,00,01,00,00,05,00,42,00,6c,00,61,00,6e,00,6b,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,\
  00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,\

MY Glass Theme using WinaeroGlass.exe and Snowy8 theme with Glass borders and NO DWMGlass.dll.

Attached File  Snowy8 theme with Glass borders.jpg   79.57KB   6 downloads

New Update, Cleaner:

Remove Text:

"CaptionFont"=hex:f1,ff,ff,f1,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,90,01,00,00,\
  00,00,00,01,00,00,05,00,53,00,65,00,67,00,6f,00,65,00,20,00,55,00,49,00,00,\

Restore Text:

"CaptionFont"=hex:f1,ff,ff,ff,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,90,01,00,00,\
  00,00,00,01,00,00,05,00,53,00,65,00,67,00,6f,00,65,00,20,00,55,00,49,00,00,\

Blank Fonts not need, works for me.

Edited by ace2, 13 January 2014 - 09:20 AM.

IanRuss88

IanRuss88
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 05-January 14

Thank You ACE ;) Now its better than text and ugly background "box" behind it. 

nimet_n.jpg

but if you know how to keep text and remove the background "box" Id like to hear it. Thank You Once again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users