Guess who needs help with printing from 2 pcs

XPerties

Yes, that's right XPerties needs help with XP systems.

Ok here it is. I have one PC running XP upstairs and 2 PCs downstairs. One PC (My main PC) has a Printer connected to it. I need to know if there is a way Michele (Jerseygirl) can print from her PC to the printer downstairs.

They are all connected to a linksys router.

Thanks in advance.

01. Make sure all computers are connected to the network. In other words, make sure each computer can actually see the other computer.

02. Share the printer from your main computer (you can even specify a password). Goto Control Panel -> Printer Settings -> Right Click on the printer -> Share it

03. (restart and do all that stuff) - thou I doubt it is needed

04. Go to your secondary computers, and add your printer (control panel -> printers -> add printer) It should start installing the printer drivers

05. Everything should be working

(by the way, I have the same setup! three computers with one connected to a printer over a linksys wireless network)

i would think they are already in a network since u're using the router.

so look at the printer properties and tell it to share.

add drivers if other pc's are older..

and if u have network setup wizard normally other xp pc's will find the printer theirselves

u'll see "(auto) Hp/lexmark whatever printer on Xperties"

by the way i don't have the same setup :rolleyes:

I just have 3 comp with a hub (we've 56k to share yet back home so router doesn't do any extra) (my parents are not really interested in accessing the internet from home. only my sister, but she chats :) )

since i don't need any extra stuff to configure from the router i just setup printer sharing and then run network wizard on other comps. works good!

Thanks guys for the direction I need to head. ran the wizard and just need to restart my main PC (Downloading at the moment). Once restart Ill run the wizard on Michele PC and see how it goes.

Ok. I ran the wizard on my main PC naming it OFFICE then rebooted. I ran the wizard on Michele PC and while it's trying to config the new network it gives me a:

Spooler SubApp error.

The wizard finishes but it doesn't do anything. I'm unable to add a printer, see a printer. Any clues?

Your network should have been mosly setup already because of the router, if all your pc's are in the same workgroup, assuming you don't use AD @ home, on the host, just right click the printer share, choose all applicable options. Now on the other machines, just go through the My Network icon to the pc with the printer on it, now you should see the shared folders, printers, etc. If you double click the printer it shoud ask you if you want to add this printer and then hit yes, this should automap the printer for you, I know it does for me.

My printer is checked to share.

When trying to add a printer her PC sees mine but when it ask for the name for the printer I enter the exact name I named the shared printer and it gives me an error.

I have tried to use the auto detect and that doesn't work.

Try this:

Make sure on all 3 pc's that in the system properties, allow remote assistance invitations to be sent from this computer are checked, NOTE make sure you uncheck this computer may be controlled remotely if you don't want to use remote desktop. I know this was an issue for me to see the other pc's from my XPpro machine's. Then also remember windows workgroup networking is very slow compared to AD, and it takes a minute to see all the other computers.

Sounds to me like the Print Spooler service is disabled or not starting properly. Check to see if the service is disabled or not and if it is, set it to Automatic. To do so if you don't already know, click start > run and type services.msc and hit enter.

Make sure Print Spooler, Server, DHCP, DNS, are all set to Automatic and that they're started. Then, make sure SSDP Discovery Service, and Network Location Awareness are all set to Manual and started as well.

Once you've ensured the above, see if the problem persists if you had to make any changes. If you didn't change anything, then you might have Xp's firewall enabled which prevents file and printer sharing unless properly configured.

To check if that's enabled/disabled, if you didn't already know, click start > and then right click on my network places and select properties. Now, right click or double click on local area connection (or whatever you use for your network connection) and select properties again. At the top, click on the advanced tab and uncheck the box to enable the firewall if it has a checkmark. Click apply and ok.

Check all the above on both computer and then reboot each. Then check to see if the printer is shared and accessible.

Edit - the firewall goes for other software firewalls as well. Normally you don't have to disable them but open the ip range of your router which is generally 192.168.2.1-192.168.2.255 or 192.168.0.1-192.168.0.255.

Hope this helps,

newdles

http://www.webzila.com

yea Spooler SubApp error. would probably be because of print spooler.

also u can check the logs for what exactly is wrong.

also spooler might be another thing.

in printer options i'd choose spool (i think u already have it checked.)

and I agree with newdles...

also i doubt that u'll have it removed but check your local area connection properties for "file and printer sharing for ms networks" service.