Video Error During Install (when GUI is started)

JayMan

Ok, I have successfully gotten to the point where the install reboots and tries to go into the GUI section of the installation. How ever when the GUI is being started my screen displays nothing but vertical black and white stripes!

I have two video cards, a Matrox P650 (PCIe x16) and a Matrox G550 (PCIe x1).

When I remove those cards and use the on-board video the GUI setup works fine, but if I plug in my P650 the gui produces the stripes. The cards support Win2K.

Is anyone aware of any issues in regards to this?

Sadly my BIOS doesn't give any options to disable the on-board video, nor to select which video has primary status. So I'm currently thinking that the issue might be that the windows install gets confused as to what video port to use. I have tried plugging my monitor into the other video ports just to see if the signal jumped, but they are all off .

As a side note, when using BartPE on the system the video card works just fine. Sadly I can't try my original Win2K CD, as my system only has SATA HD that are 300gb and 500gb - so the original CD sees the drives as corrupted.

Is there a way to slipstream some setting so that the setup GUI is forced to use the correct video card?

I saw on http://www.windows2000.tk/updates/ that there is a patch for the video, but the link is dead. Does anyone have a way to get this file still? Its called "Windows2000-KB829884-x86-Global.exe". According to the page it is "Unofficial (blackwingcat, translated to English by Google Translate, recompiled by tomasz86)".

Thanks in advance.

I was able to, praise God, force flash the Intel BIOS on to my eMachine mobo. Doing so opened up some additional settings, including selecting the primary video, which I set to PCIe. However the same striped screen is still coming up.

Ok, this is getting down right annoying.

I set in the BIOS to use the onboard video so I could complete an install. Got it to install, but lo and behold my PS/2 MOUSE isn't working!!!

This is so befuddling!!!!

Just as a point of reference. Both the video, 137GB+ sata drives, keyboard (with USB 2.0 enabled), and mouse work just fine in XOSL and BartPE without a single hickup!

But in Win2k I'm getting a boat load of issues!!!!

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, if this is an issue with my mobo, or an issue with Win2K, or an issue with Win2K working with my mobo.

In regards to the mouse, I went into control panel into the mouse settings and it has an error 10: can't start up the device.

Any help would be appreciated.

it might be worth to try to hardcode the video resolution used during guimode - see here

not sure on 2k but i can confirm this works for xp (although using another notation) see attachment (injected through hfexpert\hiveinstall)

What resolution would you suggest to set it to? I can't think of a more compatible resolution then the normal 640x480 mode that the setup GUI uses. So any suggestions would be appreciated.

• 1 month later...

Its been awhile since any activity here on this thread. Figure I do a post.

I am wondering that maybe there's an issue with the generic drivers Win2K uses at the GUI level of the instalation. So to me it seems that its the video card drivers, or maybe a mobo chipset drivers - especially since the video cards are PCIe, a technology that like SATA came out after Win2K was released.

So here is my question:

It has been dicussed at lenth how to slipstream SATA drivers into the install, is there a way to slipstream the chipset and/or video drivers?

I'm hoping that if I can slipstream the correct mobo/video drivers that this error/issue will be resolved.

• 5 months later...

I'm sorry for not responding for such a long time..

..as for the hardcoded resolution try the attached hivevga.inf injected via hfexpert\hiveinstall.

So to me it seems that its the video card drivers

I seem to remember that the matrox drivers are 'little' special.. (and a pita to slipstream)

is there a way to slipstream the chipset and/or video drivers?

There should be a way.. I would always suggest the chipset drivers first (there are several how to's on this forum depending on the manufacturer)! And perhaps run the original matrox setup post os install?

hivevga.inf

• 2 weeks later...

No problem, thanks for getting back to me! :)

I am intrigued by the use of these folders in the hfexpert folder. (you mentioned "hfexpert\storage" in another post).

Thanks for the file.