Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

~ 8.1 Rants Or Raves ~

LIKES DISLIKES ISSUES

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

DosProbie

DosProbie

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 688 posts

Donator

To kick it off here is my first rant..

1. When using 8.1 and Internet Explorer 11 I am unable to paste anything into the "Reply to this topic" posts window
        but with Chrome and Firefox it will copy just fine, thinking it may be a software or system issue I did a complete
       reinstall of 8.1 but still a no go, anyone else having a similar issue or issues?. DP

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

helmutcheese

helmutcheese

Junior

• Pip
  • 74 posts

Windows 8.1 or IE11 seems to forget things in clipboard unless you copy/paste inside same window/app.

If you copy from one window, close it and paste into another its forgot the last thing you copied and paste the previous thing.

DosProbie

DosProbie

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 688 posts

Donator

Still not working , just have to Type the slow way, or go back to Chrome or Firefox..

RS3100

RS3100

• 11 posts

Not sure if it is the answer to your problem, but I found that disabling Enhanced Protected Mode from advanced settings fixed a number of issues I had with IE11, including inability to drag and re-arrange favourites and preventing me downloading statements in online banking.

Edit: Just tried, and it doesn't help with copy and paste :(

Edited by RS3100, 03 November 2013 - 03:07 AM.

RS3100

RS3100

• 11 posts

Hmm,

Been having a play, and I can copy and paste into forum reply boxes in every other forum I'm subscribed to. The problem only seems to be with this one.

Also, if I click Quote to reply to a post, I still just get an empty reply box. Shouldn't it populate with the quoted text from the post I want to reply to?

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,077 posts

Still not working , just have to Type the slow way, or go back to Chrome or Firefox..

Or go forward to Opera .... :whistle: ;)

jaclaz

NoelC

NoelC

Software Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts

The problem is this forum software.  There have been others (e.g., Adobe's forums) that don't work well with IE11 either, but they're gradually getting fixed.

-Noel

NoelC

NoelC

Software Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Oh, and the one (and quite possibly ONLY) thing I've found to rave about with Windows 8.1 is a feature that Windows 8 introduced:  I can mount an ISO file and see into it right from File Explorer.

So far that seems to be the only improvement I can find!  Microsoft wants us to think Metro/Modern is a big deal, but I just don't see it as such.  It's just toys.

Other than that, Windows 7 still appears to be every bit as good and in some ways better.

-Noel

xpclient

xpclient

XP was my idea. 3rd party apps make NT6 my idea.

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

They couldn't even get ISO mounting right. If you have one ISO mounted and try to mount another, sometimes it fails to unmount the earlier one and gives some weird error, then mounts the other one under a new drive letter.

Impossible to run NT6 without third party fixes.

ralcool

ralcool

• 48 posts

Virtual CloneDrive does the job better by supporting bluray.

Xeon X5460 | P5E-VM G35 | 4Gb DDR2 | nVidia GT440 | 256Gb Sandisk UltraPlus OS | Windows 8.1 x64 MCE

DosProbie

DosProbie

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 688 posts

Donator

i Do Miss my WEI Score in System Properties, and the Metro All Apps access is different as well..And 8.1 was an Improvement? where is it..?

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,716 posts

Donator

The problem is this forum software.  There have been others (e.g., Adobe's forums) that don't work well with IE11 either, but they're gradually getting fixed.

-Noel

Yes this is the case, however I have the same pasting problem with Firefox as well.

MSFN RULES | GimageX HTA for PE 3.x | lol probloms
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

DosProbie

DosProbie

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 688 posts

Donator

Now its allowing me to paste again from notepad, so go figure..geesh :}

NoelC

NoelC

Software Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts

8.1 was an improvement?

Who implied that?

8.1 isn't really an improvement over 7 in the very same ways 8.0 isn't an improvement.

It's an App Delivery System designed by Microsoft to do one thing:  Get people to spend money in the App Store.

Okay, two things:  Run on their tablets, which they hope to sell like hotcakes.  Too little, too late, IMO.

There's really nothing Windows 8 does for you, outside of the one minor new feature I mentioned above (mounting ISOs) for desktop use.  It's clear that not only is Microsoft NOT emphasizing desktop development, but they're actively hobbling it in order to drive us to want something else.  Some say it boots up quicker, though in my experience (with SSDs on the job) it's not that big a difference from Win 7.

But the 3rd party developers of the world just won't let Microsoft get away with hobbling it - Ivo Beltchev (ClassicShell), Big Muscle (Aero Glass for Win 8), T800 Productions (Folder Options X), Antibody Software (WizMouse), Georg Fischer (ShellFolderFix), Stfan Kueng (Subversion and grepWin), and a whole host of others are making it better again.

And I'm very glad for that:)

-Noel

vinifera

vinifera

<°)))><

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

They couldn't even get ISO mounting right. If you have one ISO mounted and try to mount another, sometimes it fails to unmount the earlier one and gives some weird error, then mounts the other one under a new drive letter.

I can't remember any MS product that came with OS, that was doing a quality job
somehow it seems that only 3rd party apps always replace MS tools... if you can even call them tools

If you want true Windows user experience
try Longhorn builds: 3718, 4029, 4066

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,716 posts

Donator

8.1 was an improvement?

Who implied that?

8.1 isn't really an improvement over 7 in the very same ways 8.0 isn't an improvement.

It's an App Delivery System designed by Microsoft to do one thing: 

You're only looking at the part of the OS, specifically the Start Screen. If you ignore that, then it is an improvement.

msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

NoelC

NoelC

Software Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts
How? Specifics? Have you found it to actually work better in your own personal experience? I don't buy the hype. I've been testing it quite thoroughly myself. From what I can see it does NOTHING better than Win 7.

-Noel

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,716 posts

Donator

I'm going based on what MagicAndre has posted about Windows 8 in the past. I trust his judgement as his knowledge of the inner workings of Windows is way better than mine. But in reality Windows 8.1 isn't any big change from Windows 8 from what I can tell but if you exclude the Start Screen and removal of the Start Menu, Windows 8 is a fine upgrade from Windows 7. Of course those two things I mentioned are also detractors for me which is why I am still on Windows 7. :whistle:

msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

DosProbie

DosProbie

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 688 posts

Donator

I have noticed that the install and boot-up time for Win8 and 8.1 or faster that Win7 but other than that not
much else to rave about.. DP :whistle:

http://www.greatis.com/bootracer/

Edited by DosProbie, 06 November 2013 - 02:25 PM.

NoelC

NoelC

Software Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Well, the one big thing it has going for it is that it's current.  We simply can't know all the things that have changed under the covers, but very little is changed that matters. 

I don't presume to know half the internals Andre does, but I actually am a rather experienced software engineer myself who creates and sells Windows applications commercially.

I've been doing a quite thorough Return On Investment analysis to determine whether now's the time to bring my company's workstations up to Windows 8.1, and given my recent discovery of a few more 3rd party add-ons that return functionality Microsoft has removed, right now the upgrade column is slightly positive.  This of course assumes several development efforts complete with stable releases (e.g., BigMuscle's desktop enhancement).

But it's no slam dunk improvement.  Basically it just does what it did before but is up-to-date.  It gives us opportunity in the longer-term to take advantage of things we might not know about today (e.g., some killer app that shows up in the App Store, though frankly I can't see how anything there could be that killer for serious computer use).  At some point we will be moving up to Visual Studio 2013 for development, and that will need Windows 8.

-Noel

Kelsenellenelvian

Kelsenellenelvian

WPI Guru

• Developer
  • 8,767 posts

However the costs of training millions, possibly billions of staff all around the corporate world to go from winxp\win7 up to win8 is going to be wholly insane...

And the way ms is making the "Old" os's (That counts 7 too) legacy and dead thus forcing companies to upgrade hurts them even more...

Also why should we have to pay for (Albeit GREAT) third party apps because the idiots at MS decided we don't need sh!t we have used for nearly 20 years...

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian, 06 November 2013 - 05:15 PM.

DosProbie

DosProbie

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 688 posts

Donator

Have noticed the feature "Create System Repair Disc" (recdisc.exe) with Windows 8 is no longer available for 8.1..DP :thumbdown

Aloha

Aloha

• PipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Have noticed the feature "Create System Repair Disc" (recdisc.exe) with Windows 8 is no longer available for 8.1..DP :thumbdown

I think it's the same as creating a recovery drive. You can access to it by opening Action Center > Recovery. It's the first choice on Advanced recovery tools. You can also go to Control panel > choose view by icons > Recovery.

What I don't like most about Win 8.1 is that modern applications are still running after I close them from the start screen. There are some other small changes I don't like either, but I don't think I will go back to Win 8!

Edited by Aloha, 07 November 2013 - 12:55 AM.

DosProbie

DosProbie

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 688 posts

Donator

Thanks for that info Aloha, also here is a reg tweak I use to close out the metro apps..DP  :whistle:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
;Adds "Task Manager" to This PC context menu to close out metro apps etc..
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\shell\taskmgr]
@="&Task Manager"
"Icon"="taskmgr.exe"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\shell\taskmgr\command]
@="taskmgr.exe"

Aloha

Aloha

• PipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

DosProbie,

Thank you for sharing the reg tweak. Please tell me how it works.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN