~ 8.1 Rants Or Raves ~

DosProbie

8.1 was an improvement?

Who implied that?

8.1 isn't really an improvement over 7 in the very same ways 8.0 isn't an improvement.

It's an App Delivery System designed by Microsoft to do one thing:

You're only looking at the part of the OS, specifically the Start Screen. If you ignore that, then it is an improvement.

How? Specifics? Have you found it to actually work better in your own personal experience? I don't buy the hype. I've been testing it quite thoroughly myself. From what I can see it does NOTHING better than Win 7.

-Noel

I'm going based on what MagicAndre has posted about Windows 8 in the past. I trust his judgement as his knowledge of the inner workings of Windows is way better than mine. But in reality Windows 8.1 isn't any big change from Windows 8 from what I can tell but if you exclude the Start Screen and removal of the Start Menu, Windows 8 is a fine upgrade from Windows 7. Of course those two things I mentioned are also detractors for me which is why I am still on Windows 7. :whistle:

Well, the one big thing it has going for it is that it's current. We simply can't know all the things that have changed under the covers, but very little is changed that matters.

I don't presume to know half the internals Andre does, but I actually am a rather experienced software engineer myself who creates and sells Windows applications commercially.

I've been doing a quite thorough Return On Investment analysis to determine whether now's the time to bring my company's workstations up to Windows 8.1, and given my recent discovery of a few more 3rd party add-ons that return functionality Microsoft has removed, right now the upgrade column is slightly positive. This of course assumes several development efforts complete with stable releases (e.g., BigMuscle's desktop enhancement).

But it's no slam dunk improvement. Basically it just does what it did before but is up-to-date. It gives us opportunity in the longer-term to take advantage of things we might not know about today (e.g., some killer app that shows up in the App Store, though frankly I can't see how anything there could be that killer for serious computer use). At some point we will be moving up to Visual Studio 2013 for development, and that will need Windows 8.

-Noel

However the costs of training millions, possibly billions of staff all around the corporate world to go from winxp\win7 up to win8 is going to be wholly insane...

And the way ms is making the "Old" os's (That counts 7 too) legacy and dead thus forcing companies to upgrade hurts them even more...

Also why should we have to pay for (Albeit GREAT) third party apps because the idiots at MS decided we don't need sh!t we have used for nearly 20 years...

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

Have noticed the feature "Create System Repair Disc" (recdisc.exe) with Windows 8 is no longer available for 8.1..DP :thumbdown

I think it's the same as creating a recovery drive. You can access to it by opening Action Center > Recovery. It's the first choice on Advanced recovery tools. You can also go to Control panel > choose view by icons > Recovery.
What I don't like most about Win 8.1 is that modern applications are still running after I close them from the start screen. There are some other small changes I don't like either, but I don't think I will go back to Win 8!
Edited by Aloha

Thanks for that info Aloha, also here is a reg tweak I use to close out the metro apps..DP :whistle:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00;Adds "Task Manager" to This PC context menu to close out metro apps etc..[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\shell\taskmgr]@="&Task Manager""Icon"="taskmgr.exe"[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\shell\taskmgr\command]@="taskmgr.exe"

Gosh, I've known how it works! The reg tweak adds Task Manager to the context menu when I right click on This PC, right? I thought it would close the modern applications after I ran the reg file!

Well, I simply pin Taskmgr.exe (from Windows\System32\) to Taskbar and it works OK for me. It doesn't look nice there, however.

Edited by Aloha

Gosh, I've known how it works! The reg tweak adds Task Manager to the context menu when I right click on This PC, right? I thought it would close the modern applications after I ran the reg file!
Well, I simply pin Taskmgr.exe (from Windows\System32\) to Taskbar and it works OK for me. It doesn't look nice there, however.

If you want a better looking icon for Taskmgr in your taskbar, just make a shortcut fo Taskmgr.exe then right click shortcut >> Properties >> Change Icon then select the icon you want, save that then pin to taskbar and your done..DP

Have noticed the feature "Create System Repair Disc" (recdisc.exe) with Windows 8 is no longer available for 8.1..DP :thumbdown

I think it's the same as creating a recovery drive.

Except that you can't actually make a DISC with Recovery Drive.

Best thing is to keep a bootable Windows 8.1 disc on hand.

-Noel

DosProbie,

Thanks for the hint. I found this and it looks a little better:

NoelC,

I don't have an iso file to make a bootable Win 8.1 because I upgraded 8 to 8.1 through the store. Now that I have 8.1, I can make a system image with File History and I guess I can restore it using the recovery drive. Never have a chance to try it though! I prefer to use AOMEI Backupper now.

The imageres.dll also has similar icon with better resolution that you could just default to as well without using a 3rd party Ico.
DosProbie,
Thanks for the hint. I found this and it looks a little better: