~ 8.1 Rants Or Raves ~

DosProbie

Then close them by either way on that guide.

CloseThreshold did work for me when I first installed it. Like it a lot. I found it not working around a week ago when I happened to open Task manager.

I have Task Manager added to my context menu and it works great in closing any running 8.1 metro apps..DP

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00; \\\\ THIS PC - CONTEXT MENU //// ;== TASK MANAGER == [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\shell\taskmgr]@="&Task Manager""Icon"="taskmgr.exe"[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\shell\taskmgr\command]@="taskmgr.exe"

Well, you don't have on your profile what OS you are running , but if Windows 8/8.1 just copy my script to notepad and call it TaskManager.reg with the .reg extension to create a reg file then click on it to merge over to your registry, after that just right click the "This PC" icon on your desktop and should show up as task manager, then any app that you want to close out such as a the Music app can be turned off..DP

DosProbie,

Thank you for sharing the reg tweak. Please tell me how it works.

Recently when doing a re-install of Windows 8.1 and finishing at the desktop I have noticed my icons in directories for exe files are not displaying. Only after I do a logoff or reboot will they display properly, Was wondering if anyone else has had this issue? ..DP

Recently when doing a re-install of Windows 8.1 and finishing at the desktop I have noticed my icons in directories for exe files are not displaying. Only after I do a logoff or reboot will they display properly, Was wondering if anyone else has had this issue? ..DP

Yes, I think I saw a similar issue. The icons were missing but I don't know when exactly they reappeared. For me this seems to be a bug in the system :}

Edited by tomasz86

Yes, I think I saw a similar issue. The icons were missing but I don't know when exactly they reappeared. For me this seems to be a bug in the system :}

Thanks for the confirmation, Don't have a icon issue with 8 just with 8.1, even tried a refresh icon script from batch file but that did not work until I did a logoff and back on or restart..DP

Rant of the day:

So... we have an activated (legal) copy of win8.1 that got slightly damaged so that it runs sluggish. Hey, didn't microsoft add a "refresh" function that is supposed to reset windows without having to reinstall it? Let's try that.

- starting refresh prompts for installation medium. uh, fine.

- instead of copying files it needs so that an installation medium isn't needed, it actually relies on it - contraintuitive, but ok

- what it does is just pack everything into the windows.old folder and setup a clean installation

- the only thing that you skip is the OOBE stage

Now comes the infuriating part: your copy of windows gets deactivated, then reactivated, wasting an activation.

WHY! It's THE SAME PC! It looks like it will bug me about having to phone for activation again. Seriously, the only people who are inconvenienced by this are those who actually buy a copy. Anyone who pirated it just installs an activation hack and is done with it.