Cannot Copy File, Parameter Incorrect

Tommy

I'm at my wits end for this problem.

I have three different computers in play on my network, a Windows 2000 machine which is my main computer, a Windows 98 computer which is my secondary, and a Windows XP laptop which is only used on occasion.

All three are connected via my Belkin wireless router and the only computer to use a wire is my Windows 98 machine. But here's where my problem gets interesting.

Windows 2000 and Windows 98 have no problems copying files between each other. 98 copies from 2000 and 2000 copies from 98 flawlessly. Windows XP on the other hand...does not. When I try copying files from my Windows 2000 computer to my Windows XP computer from the XP computer, I get that same message! Cannot Copy File, The Parameter is Incorrect. I've looked far and wide on this problem and nothing really makes sense. The external hard drive issue is debunked because it won't copy from the main drive either. I set up network shares, that doesn't work. I can see everything on my computer but when you try to copy and paste, I get that stupid error message. It's not just the laptop either because I've installed Windows XP on a client's computer and I had the same problem right after a fresh installation. I honestly haven't tested copying files from the Windows 98 computer to Windows XP but I know in the past I've never had issues like this. It's getting me very upset because nothing really seems to solve my problem. It's bad enough I might have to upgrade my Windows 2000 computer to at least Windows XP because I have a piece of software that just will not run on 2000 but I cannot have these issues on my network either. I really utilize my home network for what it was meant to be, not just to share the internet and this is beginning to be a big problem for me. Any input would be appreciated!

I've looked far and wide on this problem and nothing really makes sense.

Google seems to have a few answers. I guess you're doing that from Windows Explorer ?

Can you create a file on the remote computer then copy it back to the local computer ?

You're right, for this particular issue, it doesn't seem to have many answers since it all leads to either FAT32 or external USB Hard drive explanations.

But to answer your question, while I'm on XP, I cannot copy files from the Windows 2000 machine but I can copy files to the Windows 2000 machine. I believe I could also copy files from Windows 2000 to Windows XP while being on the 2000 machine as well but I cannot test that at this time.

But to answer your question, while I'm on XP, I cannot copy files from the Windows 2000 machine but I can copy files to the Windows 2000 machine.

My question would then be, can you copy them same files back from the 2000 machine? If yes, that would indicate a user rights problem.

I can't test that at this time because I installed Windows 7 on that machine however, I'm now at another very interesting issue regarding that. Usernames and passwords between the machines are identical and the Windows 7 machine can see and do whatever it wants on the XP machine but the XP machine is halted in its tracks asking for a valid username and password (All neccessary file sharing properties have been checked and enabled). But a detail I forgot to mention that happens on all XP machines that connect wirelessly all say Unable to find certificate to log you into network. I updated my router from Linksys to Belkin about a year ago and it's possible this happen since then. But I even went as far as disabling all security on the router, reconnected, and still got the certificate message. I'm really wondering if that has something to do with this. Unfortunately, I don't know how to fix it. Several sites suggest turning off Enable IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network but that is impossible because it's completely whited out so there is no way to check or uncheck it. So that's where I am. If need be, I will reinstall Windows 2000 on that machine to test this out but where we are right now is the former Windows 2000 machine with 7 can copy and delete files on the Windows XP machine but Windows XP machine fails to log onto Windows 7 with the same username and password at all.

Okay, so I reinstalled Windows 2000 on this computer and even after a router swap and completely disabling security, I still have the same problem. But I did a little more testing and here is what I found...

While on the Windows XP computer, I cannot copy files from the Windows 2000 computer, but I can copy files to the computer, but not from it.

While on the Windows XP computer, I CAN copy files from the Windows 98 computer and vise versa. The Windows 98 computer is directly wired to the router so it is not wireless.

Now this one goes to blackwingcat or tomasz86, could the Unofficial Update Rollup have anything to do with this? It's a bit late for me to go uninstalling it but could something from that be causing this issue and making Windows XP go crazy?

Edited by Tommy

Wild stabs in the dark -- It almost seems just as likely that there is something wrong with the XP machine, since you say it had some issues while trying to interact with the Windows 7 machine. But then the Windows 7 machine and the Windows 2000 machine are the same machine, right? Maybe it's some kind of weird hardware issue on that machine? Definitely weird.

Cheers and Regards

It's possible, I might wipe it and reinstall. I didn't put any protection on it at first since it was only used for Skype and nothing more, since then I had put antivirus and a few other things on and it hasn't found anything bad but the performance itself just seems kinda sucky. I'd just use Windows 2000 on it but my video cam doesn't work on anything below XP which is why I went with XP to begin with.