Acer and Windows 98?

RacerBG

My suggestion to you bud is try Windows 2000. We have LOTS of projects going on with that and there about a 75% chance all your devices will function under Windows 2000, the only thing that *MIGHT* be an issue is the Acer Nplify 802.11b/g/n. Check out the Windows 2000 projects if you're interested, but I highly recommend it because Windows 2000 gives you that Windows 98 feel and the inner works of the NT line.

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/156521-unofficial-sp-52-for-microsoft-windows-2000

You'd want to look for Unofficial Update Rollups here compiled by tomasz86. I can also assist you with it as well since I'm a Win2000 expert as well. ;)

Im sure Windows 2000 will work just fine here, does there exists any extra benefits for having it over XP? Of course the support for 2000 was dropped a while ago but you guys and all the community here are doing great job for extending it. ;)

I'm going to go out on a limb and say yes simply because UURollup contains blackwingcat's kernel and core updates which actually contain some Vista/7 extensions. Simply put, Windows 2000 with UURollup installed will have some XP/Vista/7 components in it which I believe makes 2000 a lot better than XP. Of course you still have a bit of an issue with drivers but there are even unofficial drivers that work great with Windows 2000. We've also modified a lot of programs that were XP only to work on Windows 2000 as well. I also personally believe that Windows 2000 is a bit less resource dependent than XP so it seems to have a bit more power. Funny though because my Windows 2000 computer really seems a lot more stable and less crash prone than my Windows XP laptop downstairs. But I've been using Windows 2000 for 12 years and have used it well beyond the cutoff date, doesn't bother me a bit. :)

Oh, and tomasz86 has also created a compilation where you can install every single NET framework from MS, from 1.0 all the way to 4.0 and applications that require 4.0 really run on Windows 2000 now.

Yeah, I saw also the unofficial SP 5.2 project. Im interested to find Windows which is not a target for hacker's attack's because Im sure that after April 2014 there will be massive XP destruction... Also low res Windows because my laptop is getting old and more hardware expensive OS make it overheating easily. Anyway Im also Linux user so I have big choice. :)

Yeah, I saw also the unofficial SP 5.2 project. Im interested to find Windows which is not a target for hacker's attack's because Im sure that after April 2014 there will be massive XP destruction... Also low res Windows because my laptop is getting old and more hardware expensive OS make it overheating easily. Anyway Im also Linux user so I have big choice. :)

You still have to be careful but it's not quite as bad as the newer versions I think. The more people shift to Windows 7/8, I think that's the OS most hackers will be after and they'll forget about Windows 2000 like they probably have with Windows 95/98 for the most part.

• 2 months later...

I want just to point out that my laptop rather will be dead than running with 98. I checked out what drivers it can support. The results are scary - it can support minimum XP SP2 drivers. In other words anything older than XP will not work on it. As a prove I tested Windows 2000 SP4 on it and it refused to boot after the disk partition.

In other words: Problem solved.