VLC 2.1.0 and Windows 98 - not quite working (?)

Nomen

When I was first interested in VLC 2.1.0 on Nov. 9, I downloaded the installer version (vlc-2.1.0-win32.exe) and ran it. It wanted to remove the previous version (which was either 2.0.6 or 2.0.8). I said sure, go ahead. So I now have fully installed 2.1.0, and the default for both waveout and DirectX was to turn on float32, which caused problems for audio playback (which made it really nasty-sounding noise). Even when I turned off float32, I couldn't play 192 khz audio.

I then downloaded the portable (.zip) versions for several versions of VLC, such as 1.1.5, 2.0.0, 2.0.8 and 2.1.1. I ran those, and NONE OF THEM worked for 192 khz audio.

I then downloaded the installer version of 2.0.8 (vlc-2.0.8-win32.exe) and ran it. It wanted to un-install the previous version (2.1.0) and I said sure - please do. I told it to delete cache and preferences during the install.

I then started 2.0.8 and the default setting for float32 for waveout was on (I turned it off) and the default for directx was off. I then tried the sample 24-bit/192 khz file (the file I mentioned above) -> AND IT PLAYS.

So -> VLC 2.1.0 is somehow incompatible with playing 192 khz audio files on win-98, and installing the "installable" version of 2.1.0 does something to win-98 system files that PREVENTS earlier portable versions of VLC (like 2.0.8) from playing 192 khz files.

So when *installing* 2.1.0, what win-98 files (or registry entries?) does it touch / alter / replace?

Edited by Nomen

I then started 2.0.8 and the default setting for float32 for waveout was on (I turned it off) and the default for directx was off.

For whatever reason I also already noticed that float32 of this version is disabled by default for directX. <_<

So when *installing* 2.1.0, what win-98 files (or registry entries?) does it touch / alter / replace?

You can use InCtrl5 to compare the installation of 2.1.0 with another version.

We noticed that the specific 24-bit/192 khz flac file will only play on 98/ME with "audio output modul" "wave out". You have to set it manually for 2.1.0 and 2.1.1. The setting takes effect after restart of the player.

It doesn't matter on my test system if float 32 is enabled or disabled. In your case, I think the problem has more to do with the sound card. Do you have the possibilty to check it with another soundcard or on another system?

Edited by schwups

Personally I use Trout as audio player and GOMPlayer for video (beware of 2.2.53.5169, it's buggy even on XP - last 98-compatible is 2.1.43.5119 I believe and haven't tried newer versions under KernelEx).

I 've successfully installed Gomplayer unicode versions 2.1.47, 2.1.49 and 2.1.50. All these versions are running here as good as 2.1.43 with the K-lite cdec Pack 5.83. For the installation I've to fake the OS in the registry. http://kernelex.sourceforge.net/wiki/Installing_programs

Also these newer versions don't play the 24-bit/192 khz flac file. I get an runtime error.

GOM Player needs an external codec to play FLAC even on XP (mentioned that somewhere above). It does have an output choice in Preferences > Audio >Audio tab --> Output device setting, but I'm not sure if it works correctly or if the currently installed FLAC codecs support WaveOut. I've tried oggcodecs 0.68/0.73/0.81 from illiminable (now opencodecs - Xiph) to no avail. Maybe my CPU is not up to the task. With the referenced FLAC track, my GOM is spitting a script error lang=GetLanguage() - undeclared function and the subsequent dialog is completely empty. :(

Can you please tell where you got all those GOM versions from? I don't have 2.1.49 and 2.1.50 (my auto-update is off).

Oh and you just gave me an idea for an installer script. ;)

Can you please tell where you got all those GOM versions from?

filehorse http://www.filehorse.com/download-gom-player/

I already tried wave out. This setting didn't change anything.

I guess, in the view of that Gomplayer immediately crashes, the log file remains empty, if I try to play the 24-bit/192 khz flac file. 16-bit/44,1 khz flac files are played without problems.

Mine doesn't crash, just displays an empty About dialog after the undeclared function messagebox. It remains usable.

FileHorse doesn't allow me to download through FlashGet. I noticed the same system recently at YouTube. They are slowly but steadily destroying the Internet. :( Nevermind, I was out of (incorrectly reported) free space on a network drive.

Edited by Drugwash

I 've updated the k-lite codec Pack to version 8.95 (KernelEX comp mode XP - during installation I set all to ffdshow). It has installed with some errors, but in the end successfully. Now the file plays. And without stuttering.

System: ME / Pentium 630 Prescott / Creative SB 128 PCI / Gomplayer 2.1.50

Log:

====== GomPlayer Log File ======

TITLE : 2L50SACD_tr01_stereo_192kHz.flac

Filter List :
1. Default DirectSound Device
2. Video Renderer
3. ACM Wrapper (0x0001)
4. ffdshow Audio Decoder
5. Gretech Audio
6. madFlac (2L50SACD_tr01_stereo_192kHz.flac)

Vidio Info :
-

Audio Info :
1. FormatTag : 1
2. Channels : 2
3. AvgBytesPerSec : 176400
4. BlockAlign : 4
5. BitsPerSample : 16
6. cbSize : 0

Edited by schwups

Which version of ffdshow is that? Maybe we can install just that one instead of the whole K-Lite package, if we can find it.

Can you believe they actually put a password to the K-Lite codec pack so it can't be extracted manually?! :(

Funny thing rev4464 is not listed in the available versions at SourceForge. I'm gonna try 4466. Currently I was trying the very latest 4525 manually but it may be more than just a ffdshow issue on my system. That darn GOM error is getting on my nerves.

K lite codec Pack 6.40 (14,6MB) works, too. There is no error message during installation (comp. mode Win2k).

Changelog:

* Updated Media Player Classic Home Cinema to version 1.4.2543
* Updated ffdshow to revision 3574
* Updated madFLAC to version 1.9 <= key reason?
* Updated Haali Media Splitter to version 1.10.262.12
* Updated Codec Tweak Tool to version 4.5.0
* Updated Win7DSFilterTweaker to version 3.6
* Updated MediaInfo Lite to version 0.7.35
* Minor changes

So in terms of VLC 2.0.8 - for 24-bit/192 khz it doesn't matter if I have output module set to "Default" or "Waveout" or "DirectX", because Waveout will always be used (according to Module Tree output in message window) and I will hear silence unless Waveout device is set to Microsoft SoundMapper. Float32 for DirectX or Waveout can be on or off - it makes no difference.

Properties for Win32 Waveout have 2 choices for output device (Microsoft Soundmapper / C-media Wave Device ($1,$64). I hear silence (no audio output) if I select C-Media Wave Device. If I select Microsoft Soundmapper, I can hear the music. Properties for DirectX have 2 choices for output device (primary sound driver / C-Media Wave Device).

Now, when it comes to playing 16-bit, 44 khz flac files, things are different. If I force the output to use DirectX, and set float32 to ON, playback is noisy for a short time and I get blue screen errors and even if I get the desktop back, the system is unstable. I haven't tried, but I think I get the same (blue screen) if I set float32 on and set output to Waveout.

My audio drivers are:
- C-Media cmuda.sys (5.12.01.0042.6).
- audio3d.dll + a3d.dll (Sensaura) 4.12.01.2008a
- cmids3d.dll (c-media) 1.0.0.0
- cmirmdrv.exe (1.0.0.11)
- cmuda.dll (5.12.1.135)
- udaprop.dll (1.0.2.2)

Also - Media Player Classic (6.4.8.2) and Windows Media player 9.00.00.3349 don't play the 192khz sample file.

I give up. No matter what I do, it won't play. I installed madFLAC 1.10 from here, changed and mixed settings in ffdshow, MPC-HC and GOM, to no avail. Uninstalling oggcodecs left some media subtypes uncovered because it didn't delete those registry keys.

The author of madFLAC says it's both a source filter and a decoder so it doesn't need ffdshow (read the Doom9 forum topic).

I'm at a loss and would rather use my time on something more meaningful. Sorry...

I'm at a loss and would rather use my time on something more meaningful. Sorry...

Of course, it isn't very important to play this specific flac file.

Gomplayer:

madFLAC isn't the key reason. The decisive factor is to set "Process uncompressed audio PCM" from disabled to ffdshow during the installation of the K-L codec Pack! I'll check again. Latest Test on 98SE, SB 128 PCI, Gomplayer 2.1.50, K-Lite codec Pack 7.70 full, P 640 Prescott.

VLC Player:

I never read that SSE2+ is mandatory required for vlc. I read in the changelog "Support for SSE3 and SSE4 capabilities in some codecs" (since version 1.1.0).

K-lite codec Pack:

Is it possible to open the config Panels (ffdshow, Haali...) of version 6 and higher on 98/ME? missing shortcut...?

@Nomen

If I select Microsoft Soundmapper, I can hear the music.

Did you find a possibility to play the flac file?

Edited by schwups