Format flash drive

jaclaz,

98 to ME was enough FAT32 for me. Thanks, but I do not like using FAT as any FAT file system is very old, outdated technology. Mind you, NTFS is not the only MFT file system around as you might already know. I do not want to go into the what could be when the current powers disagree.

Thanks, but I do not like using FAT as any FAT file system is very old, outdated technology

Sure :), the wheel also is very old, simple technology, just as an example traveling on an air cushion is definitely superior, yet the number of hovercrafts around is surprisingly low.

"Old" not necessarily means "outdated", and as a matter of fact the most recent (new, updated) technologies, which are EFI/UEFI and GPT, strangely enough make use of a FAT filesystem in order to actually boot a PC:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EFI_System_partition

Mind you, NTFS is not the only MFT file system around as you might already know.

No, I am unaware of these other filesystems. :blushing:

Which other options do we have? :unsure:

jaclaz

I do not understand these responses. I expected something better, jaclaz. I am not sure if you are joking or being serious.

Technology is withheld. Vehicles that can run on water and emit H2O out the exhaust as waste, or can run on air i.e. free energy etc. that go missing. So a expensive hovercraft that runs on fossil fuels is the comparison? Tesla military weapons based on technology about a century old are just being utilized. Something very odd is going on.

GPT is the solution to the 32 bit bios limit of 2TB. What has the FAT file system got to with that? <sarcasm>Making FAT work with GPT, oh, a miracle</sarcasm>. I hope the sarcasm is not an insult to you, but a wake up call. The 2TB barrier was bound to be breached no matter what file system is involved. Technology usually follows the flow of like a water tap that drips. Just a gradual change, just for a nice gradual profit.

Have a look at other file systems. FAT is as old as Win 9x kept alive by a corporation. Profit! Profit! Profit! Did I assert the word Profit enough? I am guilty of sarcasm again with the profit thing though profit is good, right? Good logic must be bad in comparison perhaps.

Your options could be to sacifice what you usually want, to be different. I choose my path, not well liking to my desire though you can too. You mentioning the wheel seems to have little relation in a reply to me with this particular topic of technology. Donuts instead of wheels could have been used. I am guilty of sarcasm again. You may have tickled me some to have brought it on.

Personally I use mostly NTFS filesystems on my machines/devices, when/where I see a good use for them, but do avoid spitting on older FAT filesystems and actually use them when there are reasons that justify their use.

I mean BOTH filesystems are not (and cannot be) a one-size-fits-all solution for *any* problem.

If you could provide some suggestion for other MFT based filesystems, as I already asked you, I am willing to experiment with them. :)

From a purely theoretical standpoint, I would like to have an alternative "simpler" filesystem (for storage only) with only some of the "good" (imho) features of NTFS, such as having the $MFT (and hence the possibility of really fast file searching) and larger than 4 Gb filesize without the (still IMHO) unneeded overhead, like permissions, quotas, "ownership".

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

From a purely theoretical standpoint, I would like to have an alternative "simpler" filesystem (for storage only) with only some of the "good" (imho) features of NTFS, such as having the $MFT (and hence the possibility of really fast file searching) and larger than 4 Gb filesize without the (still IMHO) unneeded overhead, like permissions, quotas, "ownership".

Me too. You want some features without the extra stuff. Most modern file systems do this and more i.e ZFS, NTFS, EXT 2,3,4, BTRFS, REISERFS... I am not sure if quotas are as low level as the file system. As for ownership as you quoted is interesting, as each file created is stamped with a number for that user for purpose of "ownership", permissions, quota etc could be nice if you did not want to be tracked local, by intranet or by internet. The number is supposedly unquie worldwide. Like a digital fingerprint. I am not aware of any file system that does this tailored exact to your specifications.

I would say that quotas are intrinsically part of the filesystem and low-level enough, but I may well be wrong on this.

Still no suggestions for alternate MFT based filesystems. :(

jaclaz

A cousin of mine has a USB hard disk that is roughly 1/3 NTFS, 1/3 FAT32 and 1/3 EXT4, even handier. :yes:

The downside is that (statistically) you end up with 1/3 of the free space in each partition and that can potentially be an annoyance when your drive fills up and you need to shift big amounts of data.

If it was not clear :unsure:, that cousin is a fictional character that I invented only to reply to the purely anecdotal contribution by NixFix. :whistle:

I knew that. My point was about the partitioning, not about your fictional cousin. :whistle: