[Ongoing] Win XP Problems with MS Update

Monroe

From what I'm reading the XP updates for Dec can only be had if you first get the Dec Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Windows XP (KB2898785) ... just like November, install and then go back to the update site to get the rest of the Dec updates.

Here is the Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Windows XP (KB2898785)

if anyone needs it to get all the updates ... I'm taking a pass on this month's updates but I haven't checked them yet to see if there is really anything I need or I could just wait till Jan or Feb.

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Windows XP (KB2898785)

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=41404

I always assume everyone is using IE8 with their XP setup but for anyone using IE6 here's the link:

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer for Windows XP (KB2898785)

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=41458

Edited by duffy98

I have made a discovery with the Dec 2013 updates ... there is a December 2013 Cumulative Time Zone Update (KB2904266). The last Cumulative Time Zone Update was in August 2013. In October I decided to delete some older updates including some of the older Time Zone updates since they always have the word "Cumulative" in the description but today after looking at the December TZ Update and reading the fine print under the "Important" paragraph ... I now read that the "older" Time Zone Updates probably should not be deleted ... Cumulative has always meant to me that with a newer update, everything has been carried forward from older updates into the newer update but this doesn't appear to be so with Time Zone Updates.

This is from the December 2013 Cumulative Time Zone Update "fine print" ...

This update supersedes and replaces the update that is described in Microsoft Knowledge Base (KB) article 2863058, which was released in August 2013. All additional time zone changes that were released as hotfixes after update 2863058 was released are incorporated in this update.

If you have already deployed update 2863058, read the descriptions of the specific time zone changes that are addressed in this article to determine whether you must deploy this update immediately. If no systems are directly affected, you can schedule deployment at the next available opportunity.

We recommend that you deploy the most current Windows cumulative time zone update to guarantee the consistency of the time zone database on all systems.

Important

* Cumulative time zone updates contain only data that has changed for a specific region or

that was added to maintain parity with other operating system versions. Therefore, if a

time zone key is deleted, some original values may not be restored after you apply the

cumulative zone update.

Note: We do not recommend that you delete any registry keys that are related to time zones. On a computer that has incomplete time zone keys, first restore the time zone keys from a known good backup. Then, apply the update.

Just like to have some input from others ... I am reading that maybe older Time Zone updates should NOT be removed even though a newer TZ Update has the word Cumulative in it's description. Just keep adding newer future releases to all the older updates or am I missing something?

I have just searched back to where I removed the older updates and have downloaded all the updates that I need to reinstall.

This description for the October 2012 Cumulative Time Zone Update does indicate that it is replacing two earlier TZ Updates ... December 2011 and August 2012 so that is where I will start to get current to December 2013. Do others read this the same as I'm reading ... like I said, some input / thoughts more than welcome.

KB2756822 - October 2012 Cumulative Time Zone Update

10/08/2012

This update supersedes and replaces update 2633952, which was released in December 2011

and 2732052 which was released in August 2012 through the Download Center. All additional time zone changes released as hotfixes after update 2633952 are incorporated in this update.

If you have already deployed update 2633952, read the descriptions of the specific time zone changes that are addressed in this article to determine whether you must deploy this update immediately. If systems are not directly affected, you can schedule deployment at the next available opportunity.

We recommend that you deploy the most current Windows cumulative time zone update to guarantee the consistency of the time zone database on all systems.

Important

* Cumulative time zone updates contain only data that has changed for a specific region or

that was added to maintain parity with other operating system versions. Therefore, if a

time zone key is deleted, some original values may not be restored after you apply the

cumulative zone update.

We do not recommend that you delete any registry keys that are related to time zones. On

a computer that has incomplete time zone keys, first restore the time zone keys from a

known good backup. Then, apply the update.

Important

* Cumulative time zone updates contain only data that has changed for a specific region or that was added to maintain parity with other operating system versions. Therefore, if a time zone key is deleted, some original values may not be restored after you apply the cumulative zone update.

We do not recommend that you delete any registry keys that are related to time zones. On a computer that has incomplete time zone keys, first restore the time zone keys from a known good backup. Then, apply the update.

It's OK! Don't worry... you're good. Unless you did go chasing and deleting entries inside the registry, whatever you've deleted is no problem. The MSKB text is crystal clear you oughtn't to delete any key_related to timezones, however old that might be (then again, to determine the date of a registry key is not an easy task, so...).

Well all I actually did was uninstall those older Time Zone Updates using "Add - Remove" in the Control Panel. I didn't go into the registry unless when you uninstall an update using "Add - Remove" that will possibly remove items from the registry. Being that I have an image backup with the XP Nov updates I may experiment reinstalling the older Time Zone updates up to the current Dec 2013 TZ update and I will just try installing only the new Dec TZ update and not bothering with the older TZ updates that I have already removed.

Thanks for the input ... I just saw the word "Cumulative" and really didn't read all that extra information.

Well I was just as the M$ update site for XP and I see M$ released a new update yesterday ... Dec 12th.

Just a heads up for anyone that installed updates on Tue Dec 10th or Wed Dec 11th, you better run an update check again.

This is the new update showing up for me:

Security Update for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 (KB2917500) ... 12/12/2013

I keep checking every so often and always a day or two before the new updates are released on Update Tuesday.

That's funny ... "a centimeter is a centimeter" and so forth ... but maybe not !

Microsoft PowerPoint uses an invisible grid. The grid's conversion ratio from inches to centimeters is:

1 in = 2.4 cm

This is different from the accepted standard conversion ratio from inches to centimeters, which is:

1 in = 2.54 cm

In any case, if you are on the States (or in Brazil) and you local time and Summer time, what difference does it make to you whether your desktop fhas got a misconfigured Mid-Atlantic time (I think it has been deprecated, BTW) or, say Sumer day-light saving time (was there ever such one... BTW, did the sumerians have clocks)?

BTW, did the sumerians have clocks)?

Naaah.

They had sundials, and two hours hours :w00t: ....

http://allmesopotamia.tumblr.com/post/7757242292/the-sumerian-clock-the-sumerians-used-sundials

... they needed no friggin' time zones nor Daylight saving times ....

... and they liked it! ;)

http://tinyapps.org/blog/misc/200702250700_why_in_my_day.html

:lol:

jaclaz

Yesterday I asked dencorso about maybe changing the title of this thread to something mostly just dealing with XP updates. I started the thread in November when I was having problems with the MS November updates and then found a solution. However, it is now December and with the new updates just released, it seemed like November was "old news" ... plus there have been many people reading the thread. I thought maybe this would be a good place to come for all future XP updates to talk about update problems or news that all of us might have an interest in. Make it easy for everyone to keep informed on any problems or solutions.

Edited by duffy98

That's funny ... "a centimeter is a centimeter" and so forth ... but maybe not !

Microsoft PowerPoint uses an invisible grid. The grid's conversion ratio from inches to centimeters is:

1 in = 2.4 cm

This is different from the accepted standard conversion ratio from inches to centimeters, which is:

1 in = 2.54 cm

I'm not a Microsoft employee but the most probable explanation is that the guy that typed this didn't press the "5" key strongly enough and didn't notice it. :whistle:

Also cumulative is cumulative, the mentioned Microsoft KB articles say not to delete any timezone related registry keys, they don't say anything about old updates.

That's an undocumented behaviour, in any case... I mean, whether removing old timezone updates actually removes/unmodifies the registry keys they added/modified or not. It would be necessary to experiment, using Regshot 2.0 Unicode for Win XP to compare the registry before and after adding such an update and then before and after removing such an update. AFAIK, nobody ever did that, so we really don't know.