Where should I start?

I'm rather new to programming (only done Batch scripting and 'raw' HTML before) and I thought I might want to try C. Yeah, I know it's kinda a big jump. What would you recommend as a good source of tutorials and what sort of dev environment should I use?

• 2 weeks later...

Well if your going to do hardcore, or real programming you need to start with the assembler language ( or any low-level langauge for that matter ). Going to college they will feed you crap about using the high level language but do not listen. Assembler for the most part is what you will run into, when you need that math power.

More importantly you are going to be practicing math alot until your happy with it. Trigonometry, Astro-Physics, etc. Their will be tons of times where you will encounter asolation ( that is the right word ). Think about the imagery and how it displays on screen to accomplishing it's primary goal. That is how all programming is like.

Low-level langauges = anything that talks directly in machine code, and thus is faster. The lower the language the more faster the program will run

High-level languages = anything heavy on resources and is a quazi-language ( correct me if I am wrong ) that is for people who do not study math enough ). If you see statments and words using big words, continuously, you are working with a high-level language. The reason why you might not see the difference in compiling between a low-level compiler is that your computer is too fast for you to notice the difference in performance. You can even see a difference in compiled file sizes. Even if it all translate to machine code, i

Machine code = what all computer brains read. If I could talk in machine code, I would be able to make powerful programs run on slow machines.

Assembler = one of many low-level programming langauges, micro-controller, BIOS type of langauge

You cant read machine code, then assembler is your buddy.

C = short hand for assembler. Meaning you want to do something that would be a big statement in assembler. It is still the same statement but the file size might be bigger, because it might take longer to

process.

C++ ( is a low level language with high level moves ( that is why people are using it constantly ) ) They get the result from assembler without having to deal with assembler, but of course is the rule of machine

Java = C for the internet

Action script = sorta like Java script but with flash, and other imagery programs.

Finally on a side note is server based programming, basically those people who operate high end servers are dealing with command lines.

Their is no best way to practice programming, people usted to have to do it in a notebook and then go to the command prompt, and save and run. But thanks to GUI it should be easy.

Assembler, and assembler is what you will run into no matter what. You can use assembler commands in some instances when you must include the resource ( whatever that name is again ), when it is needed, but their is no way around not using math and dealing with assembler type language.

Java is also great but like flash it is always changing, preventing compiling of the previous versions of that compiler. So you have to pay attention. After you have master the lower-level languages the higher ones should come natural to you and your goals. Which is why Java annoys people, but older codes and scripts of Java still work, ( as a standard ).

HTML5 ( the alternative to Flash or Java ) seems to have many people talking, as you can make a game inside it. Keep in mind, their are 3d explorer games.

Visual basic 2005 ( the spin-off from BASIC, at least that is how I see VB ) is also another thing to look into. I think this is Microsofts personal programming langauge platform???

About programming for non-PC-Mac-Unix etc. You still have to learn assembler because in order for these machines to do great leaps of faith a huge procentage is machine code langauge.

That is my input. Personally I am still stuck at hello world and multipications and if statements. You need an instructional manual with all the differnt commands you use to make things do what you want.

Edited by ROTS