Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

OldNewExplorer - make your 8.1 explorer work like Win7/8 one

test version

• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts

Donator

What is it?

OldNewExplorer is the Windows 8.1 (and Windows 8) shell extension / tweaker which can undo "improvements" to file browsing made in newer Windows version. Everything is optional for your liking.

- Restore devices / drives grouping

Everything is 'Devices and drives'. That's stupid! O-N-E can restore grouping which made sense in Win7/8.

- Restore libraries / remove folders

Remove all those folders which were unoptionally added into Windows 8.1 This PC folder and put the libraries back to their place, without registry hacking / breaking apps.

- Restore command bar / remove Ribbon

Because some people consider it an abomination.

- Restore details pane at bottom

Same reason; reclaim useful horizontal space.

- Improve styling

Get rid of some Win7 stuff here and there; improve styling with some built-in visual styles.

For themers / skinners, O-N-E can help to override a lot of hardcoded styling in Windows 8, maybe even Start screen!

cream.png

Download

http://tihiy.net/fil...NewExplorer.rar

TEST VERSION READ BELOW

100% FREE

Stupid FAQ

- This is a TEST version, no installer. Potentially dangerous too!

- This is for Windows 8.1. Also should work for Windows 8 as well, though 8.1 options do not apply there;

- All but class drive grouping is not enabled by default. If something does not apply, try logging off / restarting explorer.exe;

- Install is for all users, settings are per-user.

For long thoughful posts use email.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts

Donator

reserved for dark secrets

demetris

demetris
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Hehe! With one tool you took care of everything. :-)

I am testing now on Windows 8.1 Pro x64 and everything seems to work fine.

xpclient

xpclient

XP was my idea. 3rd party apps make NT6 my idea.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

More fixes for a broken OS which aren't so easy to do! :w00t:  Always welcome. Thanks!!

vinifera

vinifera

<)))><

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

removing ribbon is best feature one could make

demetris

demetris
  • Members
  • 8 posts

An interesting side-effect:

Enabling the second tweak (“Use libraries; hide folders from This PC”) makes Firefox crash when trying to save a file. The crash happens just right before the point when the Save As dialog is supposed to open.

Happens in both Firefox 26 Beta and in the latest Firerfox nightly, on Windows 8.1 Pro x64.

Can anyone else confirm this?

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts

Donator

Enabling the second tweak (“Use libraries; hide folders from This PC”) makes Firefox crash when trying to save a file. The crash happens just right before the point when the Save As dialog is supposed to open.

Fixed.

MrGRiM

MrGRiM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Donator

Awesome work mate, this is the best tool Windows 8 could ask for, this will make Windows 8 the best OS of all time :)

Thought I should show how I managed to use OldNewExplorer without needing to modify a single system file and all completely loaded on the fly at the click of a button in the personalization menu :)

9xdbwi444kcl5xtfg.jpg

Edited by MrGRiM, 22 November 2013 - 09:07 AM.

ace2

ace2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 280 posts

Could only get it to work when i extract OldNewExplorer.rar to a Folder named OldNewExplorer :crazy:

bphlpt

bphlpt

MSFN Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts

And what did you expect to have to do?  It specifically states in the first post that there is no installer.

Cheers and Regards

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 5,761 posts

Donator

cool. I'll try it later :)

:thumbup :thumbup :thumbup

ace2

ace2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 280 posts

And what did you expect to have to do?  It specifically states in the first post that there is no installer.

Cheers and Regards

It specifically states in the first post that there is no installer, But it didn't specifically states install to OldNewExplorer Folder did it. :P

Edited by ace2, 23 November 2013 - 09:08 AM.

YourNumbr1Fan

YourNumbr1Fan

• Members
  • 17 posts

It's working 100% flawlessly on my system, love it!----No issues or bugs whatsoever, at least yet. Store apps download/install fine, no black screens, loads quickly after re-boot..... :w00t:

I hope the final version will include some of MrGrim's additions also..... :thumbup

Great work Tihiy! :yes:

NoelC

NoelC

Software Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

I applaud your efforts to bring usability back to Windows 8.  It's through efforts by 3rd party developers like you and the others here that Windows 8 will actually survive, despite Microsoft's efforts to stop people from taking it seriously.  Microsoft has lost the plot.

A minor note:  Personally I would suggest avoiding the use of Libraries, because they're not rigorously implemented (by Microsoft).  People see failures to have the screen update after file moves/deletions, that sort of thing.  Explorer in general always works much better if you just use real folders on the PC.

And a suggestion:  As long as you're augmenting File Explorer, figure out the machinations needed to get it to use the List control to display files instead of the implementation it uses by default.  A tool called Folder Options X does this now, and xpclient has a set of registry tweaks that can do it as well.  An advantage to doing this (among others) is that the items in Details View are closer together, so that you can get more work on screen.  That can matter to power users.

-Noel

PandaX

PandaX

Panda X

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Out of curiousity could you add Libraries to This PC instead of the user folder? I'm sure it's possible via the registry but I was wondering if it'd be possible for your app.

DarkKnight

DarkKnight
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Get Error 403 forbidden when I try to download it :no:

Hey Grim ....... when are you going to release that badass HUD Red theme for Windows 8 / 8.1?   :whistle:

helmutcheese

helmutcheese

Junior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Thanks, I can finally move the details pane to bottom without messing with critical system files than can mess with other things.

Also good to get drives back in groups.

Edited by helmutcheese, 22 November 2013 - 09:37 PM.

Aloha

Aloha

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Thanks for sharing your tool, Tihiy. It's pretty nice. But is there any other name nicer for it? Would like to see something laconic on the title bar when opening it. 

PS. Never notice before that I can drag the detail pane to change its size! Cool to see the pane around again but decide not show it for sure! 

Edited by Aloha, 22 November 2013 - 11:42 PM.

xpclient

xpclient

XP was my idea. 3rd party apps make NT6 my idea.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

My WinRAR 5.00 64-bit crashes silently with OldNewExplorer64.dll registered as shown in Problem Reports. As soon as it is unregistered, it runs correctly. Can repro?

Update: WinRAR issue fixed in latest build. Thanks.

At the moment, the tweaks I use are 'Use command bar instead of Ribbon' and 'Show details pane at bottom'. Don't use Classic grouping as it adds a scrollbar to This PC at my resolution, I want to avoid scrolling  :D . Also, I use Libraries without hiding all folders from This PC, but do hide select folders using Winaero's This PC Tweaker. And I use the status bar from Classic Shell as it shows more useful stuff. :)

But the 2 tweaks to disable ribbon and move the details pane are absolutely invaluable. The name is very fitting for the product as it allows you to choose a mix of old vs new functionalities. :)

Edited by xpclient, 25 November 2013 - 04:30 AM.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 5,761 posts

Donator

nice tool :) I keep the Ribbos to have the QAT, but the other "fixes" are fine :)

rocky

rocky

Junior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

nice Tihiy, love it.

I couldn't run it from the inside of "Program Files". Why?.

It also couldn't be deleted after I uninstalled it while Firefox still opened. Why?

What happened to Ex7forW8?

sorry for many questions. I hope someone could answer them for me.

pushkar

pushkar

• Members
  • 14 posts

Bitdefender detects it as a virus!

helmutcheese

helmutcheese

Junior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Hmm I do not get all the issues.

AV may see it as a false positive, report it to your vendor to get it whitelisted.

WinRAR does not crash for me.

I extracted it to " C:\OldNewExplorer " then ran the install file and accepted the system warning then it worked instantly.

Aloha

Aloha

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
I also keep the ribbon because I like it. I don't let it display the detail pane. The area showing folders and items will be narrow if both the ribbon and the detail pane are enabled.

Tihiy, how about just calling this tool "Explorer Tweaker"? 

newhappy

newhappy

• Members
  • 24 posts
When I change my visual style,IE will crash,but if I unregister OldNewExplorer,the problem will not appear.
PS:the software cannot run in program files,I think you should modify regsvr32 DLL to regsvr32 "DLL"

5 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Yandex (1), atShelter

How to remove advertisement from MSFN