Install Disks question.

tlcmd

My son has brought me 3 not working well computers. One I fixed by re-installing the original Windows XP Home Edition. Unfortunately, one of the others has XP PRO and that install disk is scratched. I have the install Key Code (from Magic Jellybean). Is there a way (site) to download an iso of XP so I can copy it to a cd and re-install it using the original Key Code?

My son's computer is running Vista Premium and he has lost the install disk. We do use Magic Jellybean and so we have the Key code. Is there a way to download this free from a download source as an iso file and copy it to a cd? Then I can re-install it using the original key code.

Thanks,

tlcmd

To my knowledge, unfortunately no, there is nowhere to legally download such an ISO. For both cases you might try finding a disc on eBay or other such sites. Just because the disc you purchase in such a manner comes with its own Key Code, at least it better, there is nothing to stop you from using the Key Code you already have.

Cheers and Regards

Vista and 7 both are distributed with all various editions included on the disc ( in the WIM's ) so any genuine distribution disc for Vista will work, except ... it is differentiated by 32-bit or 64-bit ... and also by service pack ... but NOT by edition.

Just get any real Vista disc, borrow one or if you are careful go to digital river and locate correct bit size and correct service pack ISO and burn it. Select the Home Premium Edition and use your genuine key.

re: The "internal" key:

For XP Pro - you will need the "oembios.XXX" files (4 of them) from the Current Hard Disk, compress them, then replace in your "obtained" CD, while also changing 'SETUPP.INI" on the CD to have "Pid=nnnnnOEM" (where "n" is the first five #'s). SLP1.0 BIOS + OEMBIOS.xx_ (compressed) + SEUPP.INI + Internal Key = OEM Install. Otherwise, the COA (not internal) key on the "sticker" will work, PROVIDED the "SETUPP.INI" file is changed, will work just fine (AFAIK). A "generic" OEM Pro CD (not brand specific, i.e. Dell, HP) will allow for using the COA (sticker) Key (AFAIK).

For Vista, you will also need the Certificate, sometimes found in an "OEM" folder within "Windows\System32", named "something.xrm-ms". SLP2.0 BIOS + Cert + Internal Key = OEM Install. Otherwise, the COA (not Internal) key on the "sticker" will work just fine (AFAIK). (Hint - install without providing the key, then look for the SLMGR.VBS instructions to first install the Cert, then the Key.)

The "internal" keys, along with the above changes, allow for an OEM Activation (i.e. you are Pre-Activated, no calling the MS Phone# or Activating via Internet). This is a perfectly legitimate process. Otherwise, the COA Sticker Keys (as stated above).

HTH

edit - a Tip for the "scratched' XP CD - try going to your local DVD Movie Rental place and see if they have a "cleaner" (aka "Disk Doctor", or buy one?) that may "clean" it to where the CD/DVD Reader will read it. If it does, I suggest you IMMEDIATELY make a backup copy (Disk-To-Disk) on your XP Home PC.

Edited by submix8c