Problem - "The specified network name is no longer available"

Recently I had to move big folders inside and to my NAS D-Link DNS-345 and often the process ends with this error. Other components are router TP-Link WR740N and PC with XP 32 bit, connected to the router trough PCI LAN-card 10/100. I use regular cat. 5 cables that the guys from my ISP kindly left me. :) I can't see particular pattern for this error - usually it appears while transferring 10-20 GB folder, but yesterday I tried to copy 1,7 GB folder with small files(web pages, small pictures) and again got this error . In the Event Viewer I don't see nothing related, in the log of the router also. I have Comodo IS(free) and I don't see something blocked there. How to define the source of the problem?

And second question - because the router is 100(150) Mbit - can I connect my PC with NAS with additional LAN cable directly? The integrated LAN port on the PC isn't used now and the NAS has second LAN port, but I don't know how to configure the parameters and is this possible in that way.

• 2 months later...

first off, its not possible to use 2 connection to same router and expect double speed! ive seen it being done for internet connections via an specific router but not in lan, at least i havent heard of such thing.

second, the first step to troubleshoot your problem is to rule out software issues so reboot into safe mode and see if the problem still occurs and report back.

first off, its not possible to use 2 connection to same router and expect double speed! ive seen it being done for internet connections via an specific router but not in lan, at least i havent heard of such thing.

This is a feature known as NIC Teaming. I use it for Link Aggregation. It also requires specialized hardware to be used properly.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831648.aspx

That isn't going to help the OP at all. The error itself is refering to the "network name" which probably is related to NetBIOS and/or the Master Browser on the network. I would recommend doing transfers using IP addresses and not friendly names to see if the problem still occurs.