Thinkpad X230 and Ericsson H5321gw WWAN

Cyker

Recently got my hands on a cheap Thinkpad X230 to replace my X121e - Very cool system and so much more powerful!

However I'm having trouble with the WWAN module; Does anyone else here have one?

The problem I'm having is this:

The GPS and card appear fine until you put a SIM in.

With the SIM inserted, you can connect, but instead of showing EE or T-Mobile it displays Unnamed Network. More annoyingly, if you open Access Connections or any kind of Status utility to check signal strength etc. the card stops working and actually disappears from Device Manager and Network Connections, where it keeps reappearing and disappearing until you close the offending utility, at which point it reappears and stays!

Would you lean more towards driver/firmware issue (Both are latest) or some odd hardware fault? It's just weird that it doesn't recognize the cell network it's connected too, and very annoying that it dies when the signal status etc. is queried, yet is able to connect just fine if these things are avoided!

I'm going to pull the WWAN module from my X121e and see if that works this evening, but I have a feeling the Thinkpad BIOS block may stop it working...

Annoyingly but predictably, my X121e's F5521gw wouldn't work in the X230; Damned BIOS lock wouldn't even let the lappy boot (Why do they do this!?)

However, was able to manually download an older driver from http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/g1wo07ww.exe and that has at least stopped the WWAN from crashing when I access the Lenovo Wireless Connection Status or Access Connections' "Mobile Broadband Settings" tab.

Everything still appears as Unknown or Unnamed Network but it works so I'll take it!

Edit: Linefeeds! Omnomnom

Edited by Cyker