WIn8.1SE

ChrisR

Win8.1SE640x480.jpg

Win8.1SE640x480_01.jpg

Download Server win81se.cwcodes.net

Win8.1SE project is based on PE5 environment and will use a Windows 8.1 DVD and supports both x86 or x64 architectures.

It is better (recommended) to have the DVD copied in a folder on your hard drive.

Win8.1SE is Based on the experienced organisation and reliability of Win7PE SE and Win8PE SE. It comes as a base with only a minimal of applications.

Take pleasure to personalize it and to add your components and applications.

2 types of constructions are possible in Win8.1SE.

- OS in RAM: to build a lightweight Win8.1 OS in RAM with the Administrator login and the full Windows 8.1 registry. This is the default option.

Noted that the startup and the administrator logon is faster on a real computer that on Virtual Machine, in any case for me, tested with an usb2 stick.

- PE in RAM: to build a PE5 environment based on Windows 8.1 with the Sytem account.

Some features may not work as desired in PE build type due to security restrictions in Windows 8.1.

The most annoying and not bypassed for now, is the taskbar which is locked. You need to switch between applications by using Alt+Tab.

By cons, the options "Refresh / Reset your PC" of the recovery environment works in the PE Mode but not yet in the OS build type.

* Be careful with the option "Refresh your PC", there are a lot of posts about it on the net.

Thank you very much to sp_star for his idea and his great work on Win8.1 RamOS and to Doberman for all improvements provided on his Win8.1 RamOS :thumbup:

Sources of inspiration shared with a mutual respect :)

Required Files: They Will Be Only ONCE downloaded (6MB) DURING build by using JFX GetWaikTools

History:

A big thanks to the precursors on Win7PESE: Yahoouk's and JFX's.

Besides JFX continued help on numerous critical PE3 building cases and on PE4 as with WoW64 (running 32bit programs in a 64bit environment) and others... :) We are happy to see him around.

A huge thank you to those who have actively supported the Win7pese and Win8pese project JFX, Lancelot, Galapo, 2aCD and ALL others :thumbup:

Thank you very much to ALL who help to make live this project and to make it better :yes:

Happy Building, Testing & Using. Have Fun, I hope you like.

:)

With one word of summarize it is "Awesome" :thumbup

It is good you keep it clean this time. Looks like not many garbage code. Will keep it in my achive in case of it can get its way lost again. It is the new generation and very different from all other winbuilder versions previously created. We see first time full registry hivs get used without much modifications as i was adviced years beforethat. It were be much and much better if it were untouched except some must to touch keys. I always prefer to keep microsoft untouched and if there will be modifications they should be kept out of core with the users wishes. I want to make a very long comment. All are just ADVICES and you developers will go on your ways as always so please keep calm and do not blame me as a winbuilder enemy. (If it is, it could be because of diffiulties to get lost in scripts for to make little changes and maybe because of it keeps users does not give it is deserved value and in winbuilder forums we mostly see just developers create and answer their topics) Hope to see it get populer from now and deserve it's value. After i see it builds errorless last two builds (very surprising as a novice like me). I decided that it can at least get easy my winpe works with little changes. As i am writing comments same time i will try to modify scripts as my needs. Line numbers maybe change because i am modifiying it.

Shell&Config Script

1-)DelOpenWithProgIds.reg can be removed and let the user overrite the values with his own desired associations later with other app scripts. Maybe users want to use windows defaults. (keep untouched)

2-)Why removed PintoStartScreen? not works? (keep untouched line 244-251)

3-)After resetting ownerships on all the hivs, why need to change ownerships again on some places. (Line 280) I do not know if ownership can be taken with registry. In there ownership means to change some keys or to change really the ownership? What is the advantage of "appinfo" and "profsvc" registry changes? In (Line 282) there is a tcpip service registry change also. It comments the reason

4-)It is better to keep unwanted service start 4 and not to delete. No harm with 4 some of them can get work for extreme modding.

Line (311-339)

RegDelete,HKLM,Tmp_System\ControlSet001\Services\hwpolicy -> RegWrite,HKLM,0x4,Tmp_System\ControlSet001\Services\hwpolicy,Start,4

5-)Comment outed lines

//RegDelete,HKLM,Tmp_System\ControlSet001\Control\WMI\Autologger\PEAuthLog

can be made start 4 without deleting with other unwanted keys. (keep keys)

RegWrite,HKLM,0x4,Tmp_System\ControlSet001\Control\WMI\Autologger\PEAuthLog,Start,4

Middle note: Keep registry changes minimum and make another script and comment and code we changed this key values. Also users can see what changed over untouched registry. On main script only do C:->X: conversion,

6-)There is "RegWrite,HKLM,0x4,Tmp_System\ControlSet001\Services\i8042prt\Parameters,EnableWheelDetection,2" line 2 times in the script. (Line 418 and 284)

7-)What changes made over SAM hiv? Enable Administrator account and ? Did you give a password to it also?

Edited by Kullenen_Ask

modify Pintool Source - Test Version

support win7, StartisBackplus, Classicshell 4.0.2

Deleted - http

New Pintool 1.2.2.1 - Test Version

Classic Shell - Boot - Start Pin - Not Action - Solved

Pre-generated Folder

.....\AppData\Roaming\ClassicShell\Pinned

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2lB3I3Ze6UXY19nb0dsd0Vpbjg/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by neon2m

@Kullenen

Happy that you like it :)

For other PE, I do not agree, It does not match you probably because we start from boot.wim hive and not from the full software hive.

But the architecture of the project remains similar in Win7pese, Win8pese or Win8.1SE ;)

I give you a quick answer. The topic here in msfn is mainly for announcement and a little support.

We have whole forum for such things that deserves a topic and would help others to find easily in future.

It would be too difficult for me as well to move from one forum to another. Come on.

I do not really see the need for OpenWithProgIds in PE, we do not need to associate multiple apps.

If I remenber, it avoids having entries without the associated program in the contextMenu.

It is also easier to create traditional associations

PintoStartScreen works, but not the startscreen (only Apps view works without adding too much modern files) so it is unnecessary to have the entrie in the contextMenu.

Otherwise pay attention to the variable %BuildType% (PE or OS) when you look at the script

"appinfo" and "profsvc" are written only in PE build type (boot.wim system hive)

and EnableWheelDetection is written for PE in Config_System_RegistryPE section and for OS in System_Registry_OptimizeOS section

RegDelete Services --> Start,4

it is already done for others service, Why not. It's just important to be sure they do not start.

And as you saw in additon to the Administrator account in Sam registry there is the ability to have a password for logon and lock screen).

Predefined by default to 8181 (numeric for not having keyboard worries) but I am not able to change it easily, So it is hardcoded.

for further technical questions it is better to move around ;)

for info, I am quite busy until the end of this year with other things to do if I do not answer.

:)

modify Pintool Source - Test Version

support win7, StartisBackplus, Classicshell 4.0.2

I had done it too, without much change to the existing au3, just ;)

If @OSArch = "X86" And FileExists("%SystemDrive%\Program Files\StartIsBack\StartIsBack32.dll") Then
local $hInstance = _WinAPI_LoadLibraryEx("%SystemDrive%\Program Files\StartIsBack\StartIsBack32.dll", $LOAD_LIBRARY_AS_DATAFILE)
ElseIf @OSArch = "X64" And FileExists("%SystemDrive%\Program Files\StartIsBack\StartIsBack64.dll") Then
local $hInstance = _WinAPI_LoadLibraryEx("%SystemDrive%\Program Files\StartIsBack\StartIsBack64.dll", $LOAD_LIBRARY_AS_DATAFILE)
Else
local $hInstance = _WinAPI_LoadLibraryEx("shell32.dll", $LOAD_LIBRARY_AS_DATAFILE)
EndIf

But I looked quickly your mods, it looks very good :)

PinToTaskbar and PinToStartMenu gather in same section with. InitSystemVars seems really good also.

and great to have pin available for Classic Shell .

Nice works :thumbup thank you.

I try as soon as possible and I'll put it on server with the old/original pin script.

Following these changes the separate process seems required for explorer, to see all drive. I do not know why!

RegWrite,HKLM,0x4,Tmp_Default\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced,SeparateProcess,1

It is really great to have pinned programs at startup :)

Hi Chris;

I compared the registry with install.wim and winpe.wim. And i see a problem that setupacl makes unwanted changes when it taking ownerships of the hivs. Especially at "Properties" keys thats belongs to system user. Corruption is in the attached files new.reg and deleted.reg. Also there is a hiv that shows what changes made on the original hives. As you can see corruption also exist in the hiv. I tried another tool subinacl and also it made same corruption on the hives :( Normally you do not make so many changes on the hives but i see it a problem in my side. I also think that it is not necessery to change all permissions on all over the hives. I do not know where that necessity comes from. I only had problems on "Classes", "Network List" about premissions. Other problematic keys already exist in the corrupted part (i call it corruption maybe it is not. we can call it undesired changes). I do not know If your premission changes solves all problems about "Access denied" because maybe trusted installer or system or any other program does not let changes after boot.

There is a mistake (i think) that you are trying to go on your past experiences about winpe. This is not a winpe and winpeshell is not used so things that help and works on winpe does not works in here always. That should be kept in mind.

Forexample because of somebody says "this registry key does not let this one to work" and you remove it. But that key can be needed for some other things to work. If you remove one service any other service depends on it can not start, any other, any other one and this will let a feature lost in the future. Without changing premissions of "tcpip" or removing "qos" winpe can works ok. This behaviours will let the corruption of the pure hivs in the future because everybody will say something and scripts will change. Everybody can make his changes with heir own scripts. I do not want to say nobody can do changes, they can but prefer out of the main shell script because we need some/have to changes sometimes.

http://www.datafilehost.com/d/d52a0ce8

Edited by Kullenen_Ask

There is a mistake (i think) that you are trying to go on your past experiences about winpe. This is not a winpe and winpeshell is not used so things that help and works on winpe does not works in here always. That should be kept in mind.

There are two possible constructions, PE with boot.wim hives and the OS build, which is not really a PE Indeed (administrator, cmdline, Winpeshl...). I must do for both of them but it does not simplify the work.
The OS building seems to me a great progress, I prefer, I think for you too ?
I have not seen for the undesired registry changes, I'll look but time is running out, Other things to finish (not PE) and then Christmas holiday.
About Take Ownership and Grant full access, for example, I can not enable the administrator account if I do not do it before for SAM hive.
There are some worries about dism /Add-Drivers, with Win8pese on XP host, if I do not Grant full access to drivers hive.
I do not have examples in mind now for software (yes Classes) and sytem hive.
It seemed easier to give a full access without seeing disadvantage only the time to do it when building.
I have well understood for deleted services and there is no reason to remove others.
for QoS, I think you're right.
And for start=4 (not to be started under any conditions) instead of RegDelete, I just need timeeeeee to test.
Please on the TheOven ;)

I have not seen for the undesired registry changes, I'll look but time is running out, Other things to finish (not PE) and then Christmas holiday.

Ok, I just saw and reproduced manually in regedit on this key (one exemple)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Tmp_System\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{1264760F-A5C8-4BFE-B314-D56A7B44A362}\Properties

Right clic > permissions > Add "All Users" > give the full access

it creates automatically the following binary key.

"Security"=hex:01,00,0c,90,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,14,00,00,00,02,\

Is it annoying, I am not sure but I don't know.

Making - Classic Shell 4.0.2 Test

Problems.

Need Help!

I poor English.... Please understand

-----

Start Button Not Clcik - Action is not 'Pin to Start menu (Classic Shell)'

Start Button Clcik - After - Action is Ok 'Pin to Start menu (Classic Shell)'

-----

EX)

Boot Done - Exploer - Select Item (exe, lnk) - Pin to Start menu (Classic Shell) - Not Action

Boot Done - Start Button Clcik - Exploer - Select Item (exe, lnk) - Pin to Start menu (Classic Shell) - Action OK!

----

So,

Operation is not pintool during boot.

Need Help and Opinion!

This Script - Classic Shell 4.0.2 Test

----

Temporary Problem Solving

Pre-generated Folder

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2lB3I3Ze6UXY19nb0dsd0Vpbjg/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by neon2m

Recommend Shortcuts Timing!

Pecmd.ini

_SUB Shortcuts

EXEC =%SystemRoot%\system32\shortcuts.exe -f %SystemDrive%\Windows\System32\Win8.1SE.cfg
EXEC =%SystemRoot%\system32\PinTool.exe -debug %SystemDrive%\Windows\System32\Win8.1SE.cfg

--->

PecmdInit.ini

Sorry

_SUB PreShell

_SUB Shortcuts

EXEC =%SystemRoot%\system32\shortcuts.exe -f %SystemDrive%\Windows\System32\Win8.1SE.cfg
EXEC =%SystemRoot%\system32\PinTool.exe -debug %SystemDrive%\Windows\System32\Win8.1SE.cfg
Edited by neon2m

Hi neon2m,

I poor English.... Please understand

Do not worried about English (use google translator or other), mine is not good either ;)
If there is a concern for understanding, we'll tell you and then try turning your sentence in another sense.
What is your country ? I saw Koreen

This Script - Classic Shell 4.0.2 Test

Thanks for sharing your ClassicShell 4.0.2 script Test.
For info: There is an older version in win7pe_se, and this one improved by Fuwi, Version 3.6.2 inside..
There is many options to customize, perhaps too much for some.
I do not know if there is much change in registry, ini in the latest Clasic Shell version.
I'll use yours to test Pin to Classic StartMenu :)
Edited by ChrisR

Temporary Problem Solving

Pre-generated Folder

I already put the previous one on server (Config, pin, Explorer script needed), it works great with StartIsBack and it is already fine :thumbup:
I'll try, if I found time to help you test the newer version with ClassicSHell.
I would make a new update when it will be OK.