Latest UDC compressed file will not open

GideonK

Well, I figured out the problem. The author of the file ebedded a zip file within a zip file this time around. So, prior to the 12/10/13 release it was:

UDC Zip file ----> UDC folder.

Now, it's UDC zip file ------> UDC zip file ------> UDC folder

Look at at attachments.

post-362625-0-98467500-1386985736_thumb.

post-362625-0-95497900-1386985765_thumb.

I don't know when you got this but yesterday the download was a folder in a zip file, not a folder "in a zip file in a zip file". Maybe you downloaded it too soon and then he corrected it. Anyway this shouldn't have "file corrupt" as consequence, neither unpacking the file or running the batch.

Ponch, I'm baffled. The situation is unchanged for me. Downloaded on Sunday Dec.15 at 22:00pm EST and the posted zip file stil contains another zip file by the same name, without the zip extention.

Any Ideas? This is where I get it from:

http://xdot.tk/updates.html

The file corrupt or invalid error came about because my default app for zip files was the internal windows tool. Once I used 7Zip to open it the error was gone.

• 1 month later...

I had this problem too - and after some discussion on another thread we discovered the cause.

The server was set to offer GZipped versions of ALL files - which can dramtically reduce server download bandwidth

The receiving browser is supposed to transparently un-GZip the file and return it to its original format

However when using older versions of Internet Explorer a downloaded ZIPfile remains GZipped - which baffles most UNZIP utilities.

Downloading using Chrome or Firefox should work OK - the file is saved as a plain ZIP file as expected.

Apparently this was a known issue with IE6, IE7 and IE8 - but was never fixed. Supposed to be fixed in IE9 and newer
Documented by MS as a fast published "emerging issues" article (2009/2010) - but no fix was ever implemented.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2002350
The two offered resolutions are basically:
Option 1 - Disable HTTP (GZIP) compression for .ZIP files on the web server.
Option 2 - Change the MIME type for .ZIP files on the web server from application/x-zip-compressed to application/octet-stream.

Also discussed here:
http://serverfault.com/questions/77740/corrupt-zip-file-when-downloaded-from-apache-with-internet-explorer

GZipping compressed files - such as ZIP files - is generally a waste of CPU time, for no significant reduction of filesize.
Edited by DougCuk