Best Free Office Suite for Windows 81.

tlcmd

Some advice would be appreciated. My wife just purchased an HP laptop with Windows 8 which she has upgraded to 8.1. Currently she is using a really old version of Word Perfect and wishes to upgrade to an office suite (preferably free). I have used both Open Office and currently have Office Libre on my Linux computer. Both of these are available for Windows 8.1. Any recommendations for an office suite would be appreciated. She does enjoy writing and has writen several short stories and a couple of novels. She has also used Open Office to assist our high school grandson with a thesis. Both of the aforementioned office suites are Microsoft Word compatible.

Her other programs are Malwarebytes, Microsoft Security Essentials, and CCleaner (for files only). Other suggestions.

She's still switching between her desktop with Windows XP SP3 and her new laptop and tearing her hair out over some of the Windows XP security updates. One of her worst problems is that the 2013 Turbotax will run on XP, Vista, 7, and 8, but (from the mouths of Microsoft) not on 8.1, but an update fixed that ...apparently.

Thanks for any suggestions,

tlcmd

Not sure about it being the best or not since I'm using MS Office but you could give KingSoft Office free edition a try:

http://www.ksosoft.com/product/office-free

It's pretty lightweight (about 40MB) and compatible with MS Office. Although the 2013 version has a ribbon interface, you can dig around the net for some old versions featuring classic toolbar (in case your wife has already been familiar with Word Perfect interface).

Thank all of you for your replies. I know that Office Libre is in German, but has an English version which comes on Linux Mint as I am switching from Windows to Linus Mint Debian Edition. This switch was re-inforced by my wife's problems with Windows XP and her current experiences with Windows 8.1. Right now my 7 year young computer is in the shop getting a new sound card, so I'm using "Oldie." Oldie has a 1.4 GHz Athlon Chip, 1500 mb of RAM, and a 320 HDD. I've partitioned it so I can run a dual boot of Windows Xp and LMDE. LMDE runs relativly fast while XP is slooooooow. So she had to buy a new computer while I'm still chugging along on 7 and 14 year old ones. Also have an ancient IBM Notepad my son bought me as a joke about 4 years ago. It has a 1.1 MHz chip and runs LMDE well and Windows XP, really slowly. I'm using it to keep an alpha-numeric list of my 700+ DVD movies. The battery life is down to less than one hour but it stays plugged in so I have no need for the battery.

Have a Happy Harmmmmonious Christmas (I'm a barbershop singer),

tlcmd

Having just installed the trial of Office 365 (desktop applications), and having had it port my complex set of Outlook 2003 configuration settings quite well, I'd be interested to know if any of the competitors even try to port Microsoft Office settings during setup/startup. I have to say, it's been a more pleasant experience than I expected to get this going, but I'm not committed yet. :)

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

• 2 months later...

I have bought Microsoft Office 2013 for students etc. (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote). I think the original thing is the best, of course it cost me 129 Euros. Office 365 must be much - much more expensive.

I like Office 2012/2013, but it sure does install tons of bloatware, even when you tell it NOT to install particular (Skydrive Pro, Sharepoint services, etc..) items and it ends up installing peices of it anyway.

Well, it didn't even gave me the option to choose what to install. :} Maybe it has to do with the fact that I installed it from a disc (after downloading the ISO from Microsoft website)?