WinPE 4 and Windows 7 storage driver (critical) problem

toaste

WinPE 4 and Windows 7 storage driver (critical) problem

Hi @all

i'm triyin to create a universal staging platform. As base i want ot use a WinPE 4 x64 image which gets delivered via PXE and then start the setup process in unattend mode from a network share.

The installation works fine on VMWare or machines where the hardware is already supported. i've only a problem with hardware which needs driver included.

The setup starts but stops with the Error
"Windows cannot locate the disk and partition specified in the unatted answer file's <ImageInstall>. Make sure the setting references a valid partition and restart the installation"

Further investigation shows that the setup needs a driver to continue the installation. The same behaviour is shown if i use a DVD as installation media. After providing the driver Required, the installation will complete without any interruptions. But i would like to do this in unattend mode.

The logfile "setupact.log" shows me the installation cannot continue because of the missing driver:

2013-12-18 11:01:56, Info IBSLIB DiskRegionSupportsCapability:Disk [0] is BLOCKED against capability [CanInstall] for the following reasons...
2013-12-18 11:01:56, Info IBSLIB LogReasons: [bLOCKING reason for disk 0: CanInstall] Windows needs the driver for device [intel® C600 Series Chipset SATA RAID Controller]. Click 'Load Driver' and load the required device driver.
Usually the driver needed for the setup are taken from the boot.wim. As using WinPE 4 for booting, the drivers are incompatible to the OS getting installed. Injecting the Win 7 drivers into the WinPE 4 image will cause the WinPE stop from working (stuck at boot).

What i've tried so far:

- including the dirver in pass "windowsPE" <driverpath> ...
--> setup start and "expands Windows sources" but fails with error: "windows cannot continue because a reqiuired driver could not be installed"

setupact.log says:
2013-12-18 13:45:37, Error [0x0602a9] IBS CallBack_AddDriverPackageIntoDriverStore:Failed to install the driver package [c:\drivers\storage\iaAHCI.inf]. Driver package is [Critical]. Error code is [0x32][gle=0x00000032]
2013-12-18 13:45:37, Error [0x0602ab] IBS CallBack_AddDriverPackageIntoDriverStore:An error occurred while installing the driver package [] offline GLE is [0x32][gle=0x00000032]
2013-12-18 13:45:37, Info [0x0640ae] IBSLIB PublishMessage: Publishing message [Windows installation cannot continue because a required driver could not be installed.]

- inject the driver into install wim
--> failed - same error

- combining both steps above

--> fails too

Is there any possibility to provide the drivers needed for the installation?

thanks!

Edited by toaste

thanks for your reply

the driver injection works whithout any error. But after the bootfile ist transferred, the winpe won't boot correclty. the windows 8 logo shows up and get stuck with the circle turning ... forever.

searched a while for another driver and found one whiche has both information NT5.2 and NT6.2 but it didn't change anything.

meanwhile i've found another approach which gives me a workaround.

i exchanged the windows 7 setup files with the ones from the windows 8 DVD but still used the install.wim from the windows 7 sources. et voilà

the only thing to do is to incllude the the controller drivers in the install.wim

this workaround may not be officially supported but it works ;)

meanwhile i've found another approach which gives me a workaround.

i exchanged the windows 7 setup files with the ones from the windows 8 DVD but still used the install.wim from the windows 7 sources. et voilà

the only thing to do is to incllude the the controller drivers in the install.wim

this workaround may not be officially supported but it works ;)

Maybe if you actually describe in detail the workaround you found, it would be useful to someone else.

What do you mean by:

i exchanged the windows 7 setup files with the ones from the windows 8 DVD but still used the install.wim from the windows 7 sources.

can you expand on the exact procedure you used which exact files are involved, etc.?

jaclaz

basically, its just the windows 8 setup source with an modified windows 7 install.wim including the drivers.

Tested with Windows 7/8 Enterprise sources. i don't know if its working with multi language wim's but i assume that the setup mechanism of windows 8 is almost the same beside of some minor adapations. so it should work too ;)

Here's a step by step guide:

1. copy the complete content of the Windows 8 DVD into your install source directory

copy DVD:\*.* C:\InstallSource\OS\W7x64

2. Copy the install.wim from Windows Windows 7 source to a temp directory

copy DVD:\sources\install.wim C:\temp\install.wim

3. Create a directory for the drivers to include and save them there (e.g. c:\temp\wimdrivers)

4. Use DISM to mount and include the drivers

dism /Mount-Wim /WimFile:"C:\temp\install.wim" /Index:1 /MountDir:"C:\temp\wimtemp"dism /Image:"C:\temp\wimtemp" /Add-Driver /Driver:"C:\temp\wimdrivers" /Recurse /ForceUnsigneddism /UnMount-Wim /Mountdir:"c:\temp\wimtemp" /Commit 

5. Now copy the updated install.wim back to the installation source (overwrite the existing

copy C:\temp\install.wim C:\InstallSource\OS\W7x64\sources /y