Motherboard Won't POST

Torchizard

I have built a PC and got up to the "Bare Bones" stage when I decided to check if it works with the following hardware configuration:
- Corsair 500W PSU

- GIGABYTE GA-8I865GME-775-RH rev 2.0

- Core 2 Duo E4500 (2.2Ghz)

- 256Mb RAM

The problem is that the PC turns on (lights and fans) but does not POST and I can't figure out what seems to be causing this. Any ideas?

I fixed that problem myself by removing an extra stand-off which I guess was shorting the motherboard.

Now I am having another problem. the motherboard is beeping repeatedly (short beeps) which according to the manual is a power problem. The PC has a completely new power supply and both the 20pin ATX and 12v connectors are connected.

Edited by Torchizard

1. That shortcircuit might have irreversibly affected the board - keep that in mind

2. Get yourself a multimeter/voltmeter and check all voltages at the ATX socket with the board powered on. ATX pinout can be found at pinouts.ru, for instance.

3. Make sure the beep code refers to PSU and not RAM, CPU, videocard or anything else;

4. Remove extra RAM, HDD, floppy or other non-compulsory peripherals

5. replace/remove videocard

6. Check 'clear CMOS' jumper position

7. Make sure CPU fan is connected to its designed socket and not to case fan socket

I tried a few more sticks of RAM and the motherboard POSTed successfully so the motherboard was probably beeping the wrong beepcode or something :huh:

Also, if it works now, would it mean that the previous short didn't do anything major or can shorts have cancerous\impending doom results?

Also, if it works now, would it mean that the previous short didn't do anything major or can shorts have cancerous\impending doom results?

Unfortunately, it depends on what exactly was "shorted", what it was shorted to, how long it was shorted, were any parts already stressed in any way, did the short physically damage the board at all such as damaging a trace or solder joint in some way, etc, so it is impossible to say. You could run a system stress test which might give you more confidence that it is working fine now, but I'm not sure what else you could really do.

Cheers and Regards