Using XP on a VM running and running way too slow

Rhetro

Hello everyone.

I'm using a 64 bit MacBook Pro with 16 gigs of ram and using Parallels as a VM.

I posted earlier about using XP since it had a smaller footprint on my hard drive. I was looking into making it even smaller with some of the help that I found here. However, I needed to get xp up and running and have run into a situation that renders xp virtually unusable. No point in shrinking XP if I'm having problems with it. I'm thinking it may be time to upgrade? I'm not sure. I won't upgrade if I don't have to. But if necessary, I'll get Windows 7 and sacrifice the disk space for usability.

Now, I'm using Office 2007 in XP to access a network, but perhaps this is where my problem is.

I'm figuring:
1) it's that I'm accessing and manipulating files with Office 2007 that are on a network via a wifi signal that are causing things to run slowly on a virtual machine (running XP)
2) that I'm using XP which is too old and too slow to do the above
3) a combination of 1 and 2.

Thanks for your time!

Among "data transfer" options/connectivity Wi-Fi is one among the slowest ones, and it's speed is not usually connected with the OS in the VM, but rather to the kind of Wi-Fi standard in use and on the actual drivers (in this case could be the drivers of BOTH the "host OS", i.e. in your case the OsX ones and those in use by the Os in the VM).

It seems to me like the non-issue is the actual XP, however you may want to follow the advices here to see if there is a misconfiguration of some kind:

http://kb.parallels.com/it/8978/?show_at=en

jaclaz