Editing UEFI nvram

mraeryceos

Does anyone know where to get an EFI program that will manage the boot-loaders-list in nvram?

I have a macbookpro2,1, and I've put a new blank hard drive in it, and I don't have os x. I have XP running. Plop boot manager is the only way to boot USB, but it does not have keyboard drivers, so no luck getting a keyboard for using menus on any boot menu. I am out of optical media for the moment. Parted Magic does not have efibootmgr. Also can't use Shell2, which has another command, because the mac's efi is 32 bit.

I have heard of nvrboot.efi, but I haven't found it anywhere (supposedly in XP 64 bit and Server 2003, but I couldn't find the file on either). Any other suggestions?

I suspect your Macbook Pro 2.1 has a 64bit UEFI 2.3.1 firmware that is modified to prevent 64bit code to run on it. I've seen other manufacturers make their BIOS work this way to prevent their systems to be used for things they do not support. For example, by default, some ECS embedded motherboards come with this type of BIOS.

Either way, the tool you are reading about (nvrboot.efi) is for the Itanium platform. So you would find this file in an Itanium edition of Windows. Unfortunately, Itanium's EFI boot code is incompatible with the current UEFI 2.3.1 hardware. Even forcing Itanium or IA-32 boot roms to run on a modern EFI system will result in a hard lock of the system.

According to; http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1237?viewlocale=en_US
for that MacBookPro model 2,1 the EFI is (at most) [Apple] EFI 1.5.1

Also refer to speculative listing regarding EFI for that MacBookPro model 2,1 , i.e.;

Mac----------------------------------------------Processor---EFI---Boot

MacBook Pro "Core 2 Duo" 2.33 17"-----------64-------------32-----32

at; http://www.everymac.com/mac-answers/snow-leopard-mac-os-x-faq/mac-os-x-snow-leopard-64-bit-macs-64-bit-efi-boot-in-64-bit-mode.html

Edited by buyerninety