[solved] can't install XP, nor boot BartPE

Dogway

I updated my above post, the secure boot setting being on enabled was just a display issue. I just don't understand what he means with "clear keys".

edit: actually, if I set "Other OS" I get UEFI+NoSecureBoot, alright, but boot is not on UEFI mode because I recall changing a bunch of settings to Legacy OS, so I might indeed have LegacyOS+NoSecureBoot, then where is the problem? Probably the "Secret boot enabled" rather than being a display issue was actually locked. I might give it a go again and see if I can by some mean force it to OtherOS.

Edited by Dogway

@dogway, at the very bottom of the page you linked to, is the comment:

... EDIT 2: Figured out the "Secure Boot State: Enabled" thing. Had to re set it to 'Windows UEFI' (enabled), clear keys, then back to 'Other OS' (disabled), and now it reports "Secure Boot State: Disabled". ...

Does that work for you?

EDIT: Sorry, we cross posted.

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

Thanks bphlpt! I actually edit-quoted that line on my above-above post. I'm still wondering what means "clear keys".

I'm gonna switch computers and follow the thread over the smartphone.

edit: Ok, I managed to clear keys, those are the by default loaded *secure boot* keys. I just deleted them and now secure boot is disabled. I cross fingers, I'm gonna install XP.

BTW a quick question, does XP documents and settings folder needs to be on drive root? I was trying to install it to "D:\Profiles\Documents and Settings (XP)" byt by default it sets to "D:\Documents and Settings (XP)", same (and actually more importantly) is this the same with Win7, it has many profile folders I don't want spread on D:

Edited by Dogway

OK, update:

Managed to Install XP on IDE mode.

So the problem is on AHCI drivers, either Fernando's modded drivers are faulty, or I did a mistake when slipstreaming.

Now I can either try to change from IDE to AHCI on my current XP, or try to slipstream AHCI drivers from scratch to an unattended IMAGE, and cross my fingers it will work.

I'm using a i5-4670k CPU, on LGA1150 socket, Which I think corresponds to:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8C02&CC_0106.DeviceDesc    = "Intel(R) 8 Series/C220 Chipset Family Desktop SATA AHCI Controller DEV_8C02 (added by Fernando)"

Using the very first link of this page called:
Universal 32bit Intel RST AHCI & RAID driver v11.2.0.1006 mod by Fernando
or the first link of the c) section of this other page (still wondering why there are 2 threads) with the same filename.

edit: and as a side note, do I need to slipstream these drivers to BartPE too in order to boot it?

Edited by Dogway

edit: and as a side note, do I need to slipstream these drivers to BartPE too in order to boot it?

not in order to boot (which I guess you do from CD or from USB) or run BartPE, but in order to see your partitions on the HDD; yes.

not in order to boot (which I guess you do from CD or from USB) or run BartPE, but in order to see your partitions on the HDD; yes.

It's strange because it doesn't want to boot, what can be the reason? now WinXP can boot after I set SATA mode to IDE... Maybe I will open a thread on the next months for this.

Regarding AHCI, I tried to convert from IDE to AHCI manually. I had the two entries of "Intel 8 series SATA Controller" 8C08 and 8C00, and updated the drivers to the modded ones, then went to BIOS, set to AHCI, but didn't want to boot. I think I can't be thickhead enough to fail here, and also slipstreaming the drivers at the same time, so I think Fernando's drivers might be faulty. I will try to contact him if he knows something, or if someone has made them work.

edit: I'm actually experiencing the same issues as this guy here except I can't make it work adding the drivers manually as he did. One thing is certain, the guy made them work so the drivers seem to be OK, then I must be failing somewhere¿?

Edited by Dogway

Finally managed to install AHCI drivers manually. I think that by some reason, slipstreaming AHCI drivers won't work anymore, I don't know whose fault, if new controllers, nlite, the modded drivers... anyways, it's not too far fetched for this to occur since IIRC this is the first AHCI controller to don't support XP natively.

cheers, let's drink a beer : D

I'm searching for it but is there any list of these evil mobos? You can't sell a mobo where you can't install most of linux distros, anything before WinVista, and an array of different OS that makes up of over 50% of population and yet not warn it anywhere. These are punible practices from ASUS and microsoft standpoints.

Its all in the UEFI 2.3.1 specifications. Any hardware with UEFI 2.3.1 only supports 64bit Vista, 7, x86 or x64 Windows 8, x64 Linux/other stuff. Its in the spec. Everyone agreed to stop caring about 32bit (remember when there originally wasn't going to be a 32bit Windows 8?) and since XP is EOL in the OEM Channel, it didn't make sense to bother keeping up the support. As far as the Intel platform goes, pretty much anything starting at the 6 series will have UEFI 2.3.1 and doesn't support XP anything... You might be able to get XP x64 on them but it doesn't seem to be very common.

Except an issue with seven now everything is ok.

I'm not sure what you want to say, I finally managed to install XP on a UEFI mobo, right, not in UEFI mode but all is fine now.

What I see is that the only company (apart of Microsoft) eager to bury XP is Intel, it's the only one I couldn't find drivers for my integrated LAN (217-V), the one who didn't make a USB3 driver, or allowed QuickSync to work in XP, and if it wasn't for Fernando, AHCI drivers either. Luckily there are workarounds for those, but that is what happens when you let a single company rule the world of a market.

This is my last system with XP, the good thing is I have until 2020 to pick the lesser evil and get used to it.

PD: XP "ends" life in April, everything *SHOULD* be normal til then. But some people mistook 2014 with 2013 as it seems.

• 6 months later...

I too have a new desktop. The motherboard is an ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1. It has the dreaded UEFI. I want to install my Windows XP Pro 32 bit onto one of the 3 hard drives. The system came with Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit installed onto one of the 3 hard drives.

I have Fernando's modded driver nlited. 

Just incase, I also have created an F6 floppy with Fernando's modded drivers. I would use this floppy if the nlited CD would not work

Could you please state the conditions which allowed successful XP run and install?

I had to take out my notes as I might forgot steps, the key settings are these, specially the first, beware the you must clear the keys, I had a hard time trying to figure this out:

Secure Boot to Other OS (after clearing keys on UEFI setting)
CSM enabled (this is default IIRC)
SATA to AHCI mode
Intel xHCI -> Auto (on Advanced/USB, loses USB3 but otherwise no USB power on reboot from 7 to XP)

Then you boot to 7's install disc, but on the install screen Shift+F10 to open CMD. Here you will have access to diskpart from 7 DVD.

Format HDD's to NTFS. Exit, put XP disc and install on desired partition.

I did a bit more than that, I installed a dual boot: XP in partition 1, 7 partition 3, and data in partition 2, with both OS profile folders in partition 2, and both OS being C: on their own system. It's a bit long but track my posts from late last year, jaclaz helped me a lot to get to that.

Finally managed to install AHCI drivers manually. I think that by some reason, slipstreaming AHCI drivers won't work anymore, I don't know whose fault, if new controllers, nlite, 

A few months ago I slipstreamed my AHCI drivers into my XP iso. Worked flawlessly, so it's not nlite.

On another note for those with a dual XP/7 setup, you will want to read this.  B)