Black viper safe preset issues

markbegley

I recently re-installed windows and have the black viper "safe" preset applied. I noticed two issues. The first one being, although the "Safely remove hardware and eject media" icon showed in the task bar, when selecting it expecting a dialogue window to appear with my attached devices, no such dialogue showed. The second issue was the battery icon didn't update unless I restarted explorer.exe.

I thought these issues were because of the "safe" preset and when I applied the "default" preset I was proven correct as the issues went away. Has anyone had the same issues before and know which ones I should exclude from the safe preset?

Thanks for any help. And Happy new year!

The "Safely Remove ..." icon in the systray ...

If you left-click it, the dialog should immediately offer to eject any removable devices and defaults to favoring the most recently inserted/installed ( at least that's been my experience ).

If you right-click it, there should be a small selectable box that says "Safely Remove Hardware" and clicking on that should bring up the full dialog with the device tree that I believe you are expecting.

Maybe I am not understanding, what do you mean by "selected" the Safely Remove icon, was that a left or right click?

There are definitely some strange things in the way Windows handles the notification area though, and it has gotten worse in Vista/7. It is needlessly obfuscated and the settings aren't intuitive. On Windows 7 for most systray icons I always have them set for "(always) Show ..." but it doesn't always seem to work out ( though on XP it works 99% of the time just by unchecking the old "hide inactive icons" ).

I'm not sure what the Black Viper "Safe" preset actually changed, but from what I remember most of his registry scripts just incremented or decremented simple DWORD values probably from 00000001 to 00000002 or something like that. If you really want to get to the bottom of it you can compare his registry script to a ( hopefully ) saved registry export you might have, locate the difference and just play around with that one registry value.

It could also have been a small error on Black Viper's part. None of us are infallible. I would post it over on his site. In my experience he has usually been quick to fix any problems reported.

Cheers and Regards

• 2 weeks later...

If you click on the systray USB icon with either button nothing happens? Nothing at all?

Hmmm. That's pretty interesting. Trying to remember such a thing but I do not think I ever saw that.

I don't have time right now to chase this down but it seems to me that would certainly be a very searchable string for Google ...

"click SysTray USB icon nothing happens"

Lots of hits. Look at the ones at SevenForums, they look promising at first glance.