• Announcements

• xper

MSFN Sponsorship and AdBlockers!   07/10/2016

Dear members, MSFN is made available via subscriptions, donations and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, become a site sponsor and ads will be disabled automatically and by subscribing you get other sponsor benefits.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tlcmd

Help, comments, sneaky tricks, suggestions

4 posts in this topic

Happy New Year Y'all,

I've received a Windows 7 computer from a relative who has upgrade to 8.1 and also will be picking up a Windows 7 64 bit install disk tomorrow afternoon. I am not a gamer, and this fell into my hands by default.

My question: has anyone any suggestions,comments, or sneaky tricks to make regarding a new install of Windows 7 onto a 3 or 4 year old computer with an AMD Athlon 64x2 dual core processor 4800 2.5 GHz with 2 Gigs of RAM and a 320 HDD?

I plan to install Microsoft Security Essentials, CCleaner, Malwarebytes (the free one), GS photo as a screensaver (also free) and Bing. I will also be installing JRivers Media Jukebox 8.0.400 as the only proprietary software. Any other suggestions?

Thank you,

tlcmd (aka Dick)

What will the computer be used for?

IMHO your RAM is only problem, especially if you are putting 64bit windows on it

increase it to +1 GB and you won't need any tricks for OS :P

now unfortunately increase page file so your HDD covers the shortage of memory

Edited by vinifera

I have been running vista and win7 on a laptop with 2GB RAM without major issues (before I upgraded to 4GB), unless you plan to do a lot of RAM heavy stuff, you should be fine.