Size of .PST vs. size of actual mails

Ponch

I recently moved 70Meg of mails to a purposely created pst (Outlook 2010). Those are a big amount of small mails (typically 3kb) in about 15 sub-folders, so the info "about" the mail might weight more compared to the mail itself, OK, but still... ... The bastard was 350MB big, this is exactly 5 times the size of the mails as shown by Outlook! Then I thought "of course... a non unicode capable pst will surely be smaller". So I moved those mails to a new pst. The bastard was still 255Meg. After compacting (a new pst needs compacting? It doesn't cost a penny to try), it's down to 220Meg.

My question is: is this normal or is this Microsoft helping hardware manufacturers with Outlook 2010?

I moved (drag & drop) 6 folders ("2012_06" to "2012_12") straight inside a new "2012" folder in the new pst. I did them one by one because I didn't know how long it would take and I didn't want to lock my outlook for more than 5 minutes at a time (the Exchange server is not on this location). But it went quite quickly. Then from the 2nd to the "non unicode" pst, I did it in one go.

Now Outlook shows the "Total Size" inside the pst as being 165Meg. This is ridiculous as I moved them following a warning that the mailbox had just passed 150Meg (so I moved about half the mailbox and Outlook was then seeing 80Meg remaining, now it's grown just a bit more).

Tain, Yes, when you empty a pst, you can compact it, but this is not my case. I don't want to delete items, I sort of filled a new bag which should be the size of what's in it.

Well, how big are the actual .pst files on the filesystem? :unsure:

AFAIK, the difference between the "normal" format and the "unicode" one is in the addresses, that are 64 bit instead of 32 ("ealrier" vs. 2003/2007):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_Storage_Table#Formats_and_size

I don't think that there are much differences between 2003/2007 and 2010 :unsure:

jaclaz

The pst is now on a network drive and is still 220MB (the other one I deleted). In there outlook sees 165Meg of mails. I could try reimporting them in the mailbox to see if it's back to the original 70Meg but I don't see what to do next in any case.

Update: Tests are not conclusive. even worse I would say.

I tried with one folder containing 1681 mails, Outlook says it's 7.9 meg, i make a new (non unicode) pst and copy the folder to it.

... Outlook now sees 12.7 megs of mail and the file is now 14.7Meg.

I move the folder back to the same mailbox (at an other place)

... Outlook now says it contains 4.1 meg. (still same 1681 mails :wacko: )

I compact the now empty pst which goes back to ~750k and copy the folder (4.1 meg) back to it.

...Outlook now sees 12.8Meg of mail and the file is 16.2 Meg.

I create a new (non unicode) pst and move my folder from the mailbox (4.1 meg) to it.

.. Outlook now sees 16.2 Meg in it and the file is 18.1Meg. :rolleyes: There is nothing to understand here. :puke:

Edited by Ponch