Opera 15/18/20 Rant, Rave thread

epic

• 2 weeks later...

epic,

maybe you are taking tomasz86's reply the "wrong way", before accusing someone of trolling

jaclaz

Hmmm, not really. He really sounds like another Pesala from the Opera forums. Pesala is a total buffoon.

Opera founder von Tetzchner: It's all gone to crap since I quit

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/02/07/opera_founder_its_all_gone_to_crap/

Right, he knows it.

Developers moving on to rely on Chromium as the Opera engine are total idiots. Not only that, it proves the fact that these developers are nothing but lazy s***bags. They've dug Opera's fate into the ground, by listening to, single minded drones, Pesala, and not the actual users of the software.

Presto is/was awesome, if Opera had listened to the consumers Presto would still be around and BUGS FIXED and full of USABLE features.

Edited by epic

• 3 weeks later...

Notice the waste of monitor space (white space)... no need to have settings horribly spread out.

I have not yet seen anybody complain about this, apart from me. But that is true. The Settings 'page' also covers the entire screen, and doesn't allow me to review the issue on the tab underneath it, as a compact dialog 'window' would.

But there is a deeper reason to the white space: The guys on the photo are jumping off a cliff, and need to feel light and unconstrained.

A few people on the now defunct Opera forums felt licensed to proclaim that this new UI is "life" that everyone has to "deal with", and the new wasteful Metro/Web UI is replacing windows just because.

one my personaly favored ALSO based on webkit is QtWeb, that one is light, portable

My favorite WebKit browser still is the new Opium, because it's portable unlike Chrome, and there isn't an alternative that felt native on Windows, using dialogs instead of slow (or extremely) web pages for everything. Such as the Sleipnir Browser, which dialogs and menus opened so slowly on single core, that I forgot the command that I was looking for, being accustomed to browse through all the dialogs quickly.

No alternative.. yet. For those who haven't heard, Otter Browser, a WebKit based product aiming to implement most functionality found in Opera, is in development. It's not usable yet.

Edited by j7n

• 5 weeks later...

I have no faith in all the webkit-spinoffs. Remember when firefox was new on the web? Until the 3.x-version there were dozens of mozilla-powered browsers. They popped up everywhere. Now, a few years later, there's almost nothing left. Most projects are discontinued. I miss konqueror with good ol' konqueror-engine. Opera getting chrome-code included is no surprise at all. They made a mistake 10 years ago already, when joining with google. It will destroy the project. In the end two google-browsers will be "too much for the users".

Edited by whocares02