Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Chkdsk and RAM

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Torchizard

Torchizard

Junior

• Pip
  • 81 posts

So I ran CHKDSK with the /f and /r parameters and when I went into task manager to end a unresponsive program, task manager said that CHKDSK was using around 3Gb of RAM... is this normal?

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 5,942 posts

Donator

yes, open the 32Bit CMD.exe and run chkdsk here. All users run into this EXCEPT Microsoft:

This week a report on a blog described a crashing issue in Windows 7. The steps to reproduce the crash were pretty easy (1) run chkdsk /r on a non-system drive then crash after consuming system memory. Because it was easy to “reproduce”, the reports of this issue spread quickly. Subsequent posts and the comments across the posts indicated that the issue seemed to have been reproduced by others—that is the two characteristics of the report were seen (a) consumption of lots of memory and ( B) crashing.

Like many of you, the first thing I did was try it out. And as you might imagine I did not reproduce both issues

http://blogs.msdn.co...bug-report.aspx

Posted Image

Octopuss

Octopuss

I am the walrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Donator

Jesus, so much arrogance and idiocy... But I am not surprised, it's Microsoft.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,942 posts

Donator

it was Sinofsky, Mister arrogance and idiocy. So what have you expected? His arrogance and idiocy lead to the Win8 crap.

Posted Image

vinifera

vinifera

<°)))><

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts

so there is no fix for this ?

I see article is from 2009  :blink:

If you want true Windows user experience
try Longhorn builds: 3718, 4029, 4066

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,942 posts

Donator

I doubt this. MS treats Win7 as old an outdated system. You can only use the 32Bit CMD workaround. Here the memory usage is limited to 2GB RAM (32Bit limitation).

Posted Image

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,033 posts

Let me remember to file this under "64 bit system advantage". :whistle: ;)

jaclaz

Octopuss

Octopuss

I am the walrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Donator

Would using third party software help in this case, or are they all working off some generic API (like defragmentation does for example), which is bugged?

Edited by Octopuss, 13 January 2014 - 04:18 AM.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,942 posts

Donator

I have no idea. Try the 32Bit CMD Workaround.

Posted Image

vinifera

vinifera

<°)))><

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts

I doubt this. MS treats Win7 as old an outdated system. 

this is lame, 7 along with vista is BOUND to get major bugfixes

bphlpt

bphlpt

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts

It might be lame, but MS has proven by their actions, or lack of action, that they do not plan to do anything for "older" OS unless they are forced to.

Cheers and Regards

Posted Image

bookie32

bookie32

• PipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Hi guys!

We seem to be having a dig at Microsoft....lol can I join in.... :yes:

I would like to see the day when Microsoft actually listen to those that actually buy it....

I get annoyed to think that companies that want to offer alternatives to computers with their crap preinstalled on them...I know there are those that have Ubuntu etc...thinking of the suppliers that have a blank computer so you can decide what you want....

I have seen several go bust because Microsoft just wants us to use their crap...

Don't you just love Microsoft.... :realmad:

bookie32

bphlpt

bphlpt

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts

... 7 along with vista is BOUND to get major bugfixes

Also, just because 7 and Vista are BOUND to get major bugs found, unfortunately this does NOT mean that MS is bound to fix them, again, unless forced.

Cheers and Regards

Posted Image

vinifera

vinifera

<°)))><

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts

actually they are bound :)
but as that article by mvp(?) said, it wasn't reported enough times

and I read few weeks ago article from one of developers from early vista(longhorn), how they do development & bug fixing
and IF certain team didn't report on time the bug, they leave it unfixed even if they are aware of it

they leave it unfixed for next version of winblows

so either they fixed this in w8, and if vista doesn't have this bug then it is limited only to w7 users

which explain above situation

Edited by vinifera, 14 January 2014 - 03:15 AM.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,033 posts

Would using third party software help in this case, or are they all working off some generic API (like defragmentation does for example), which is bugged?

As a side note, I would be interested in "third party" software that is intended to replace CHKDSK (i.e. that can fix NTFS filesystem errors). :unsure:

jaclaz

vinifera

vinifera

<°)))><

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts

maybe if someone ports over Protogon/ReFS :P

Octopuss

Octopuss

I am the walrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Donator

As a side note, I would be interested in "third party" software that is intended to replace CHKDSK (i.e. that can fix NTFS filesystem errors). :unsure:

jaclaz

There are lots of programs for disk checking out there. Not sure where are you getting the intent part, because I am not aware of anything presented as such :P

P.S. I just remembered Norton Utilities back in Win9x days. Loved those.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,033 posts

There are lots of programs for disk checking out there.

Good :), can you name any program (please do list all the ones you know) that has the same (or similar features) to CHKDSK (which, JFYI does NOT check the disk, but rather checks the filesystem of a volume and attempts to repair it - again the filesystem, NOT the disk).

Particularly I would be interested in one that can analyze and repair NTFS filesystems.

jaclaz

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,510 posts

actually they are bound :)

In case of Vista the mainstream support ended 2 years ago. MS is only obligated to release security patches. When it comes to pure bug fixes, they may release them but don't have to do it.
post-47483-1123010975.png
Unofficial Service Pack 5.2 for MS Windows 2000 <- use this topic if you need help with UURollup, Update Rollup 2 and other unofficial packages

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,942 posts

Donator

no, you still get hotfixes for Vista because Server 2008 is still in Mainstream support.

Example:

Noncritical disk volumes are included incorrectly in the system state backup image when you use the -allCritical option in Windows Vista SP2 or Windows Server 2008 SP2
http://support.micro...b/2895635/en-us

Posted Image

dencorso

dencorso

Adiuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Super Moderator
  • 5,782 posts

Donator

There are lots of programs for disk checking out there.

Good :), can you name any program (please do list all the ones you know) that has the same (or similar features) to CHKDSK (which, JFYI does NOT check the disk, but rather checks the filesystem of a volume and attempts to repair it - again the filesystem, NOT the disk).
Particularly I would be interested in one that can analyze and repair NTFS filesystems.

jaclaz

Some presumably existent implementation of fsck for ntfs (or maybe even perhaps Tuxera Recovery?)...  is there really any such app available at all?    dubbio.gif

Then again...  :(

No open source NTFS checker is known to have been developed, so there is no point in requesting such a check.

Source: <http://www.tuxera.co...3g-faq/#ntfsck>

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,510 posts

no, you still get hotfixes for Vista because Server 2008 is still in Mainstream support.

Example:

Noncritical disk volumes are included incorrectly in the system state backup image when you use the -allCritical option in Windows Vista SP2 or Windows Server 2008 SP2
http://support.micro...b/2895635/en-us

Extended Support doesn't mean that they absolutely cannot release such bug fixes :P They don't have to do it though.

If you look at the situation of Windows 2000, the last hotfix for it had been released in May 2010 which was just before the system went EOL. However, the vast majority of the other hotfixes were produced between 2000-2005 during the mainstream support phase, and only a small number between 2006-2010 during the extended support period.
post-47483-1123010975.png
Unofficial Service Pack 5.2 for MS Windows 2000 <- use this topic if you need help with UURollup, Update Rollup 2 and other unofficial packages

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,033 posts

Some presumably existent implementation of fsck for ntfs (or maybe even perhaps Tuxera Recovery?)...  is there really any such app available at all?    dubbio.gif

Waiter, come taste the soup .... :whistle:

http://www.imdb.com/...?item=qt1099763

jaclaz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN