It's a simple app which provides one functionality to Windows 8 about which Microsoft apparently forgot in a hurry.
It allows to use your Xbox 360 controller to open the Windows 8 start screen using the guide button, navigate and launch games, and apps.
It also adds some of the Xbox One's sound effects.
By holding the guide button you can power off the wireless controller.
By holding the back and start buttons for 2 seconds you can add an app which you want to control with XBStart
Up to 4 controllers are supported.
Just unzip the file, save it to a folder of your choice and select "Run with Windows" from the system tray icon.
It's free to download from my website.
08 Jul 2014 - Version 2.0 beta 2 released
- added navigation of other apps
- added on screen keyboard
- added mouse pointer control
- added volume control
- added tab, close and menu buttons
- added option in settings to auto power off the controller on system shutdown
- added option in settings to disable XBStart sounds
- added option in settings to deactivate XBStart when Steam Big Picture is running
- added button in settings to pin Big Picture to Start Screen
- added installer
- fixed interference with DirectX runtime installers
- reduced CPU usage by 90%
- reduced memory consumption
- added option to select number of active controllers (1-4), by default controller nr 1 is active
- added autoupdate
- Initial version released
Q) How to activate XBStart in a specific modern app?
A) Launch an app, press and hold Back+Start for 2 sec, when notification appears confirm with button "A"
Q) XBStart sometimes crashes 5sec. after startup.
A) Update to 2.0 beta 2.
Q) XBStart crashes every time.
A) If your account is not an admin, try to run XBStart as an administrator
Q) XBStart crashes with an error HRESULT: [0x80040154]
A) One of the DirectX libraries is not properly installed. Try to install a full DirectX Runtime using the link below:
Edited by oomek, 10 July 2014 - 04:28 PM.