XBStart 2.1.9 stable - navigate Windows 8.1 with an Xbox controller

oomek

I have a small problem with the latest version of XBStart and the standby mode of Windows 8.1 x64. XBSTart does not start correctly after waking my machine from standby.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Boot up computer with XBStart autostarting

2. Send computer to standby

3. Wake computer -> I get a message "XBStart is already running" -> Result: XBStart is not running at all

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi there. Just wanted to say, your software is the best controller input out there, by a long shot! I don't know why, but no one else seems to have really cracked this, I tried using other software and the input would simply disappear as soon as I opened the on-screen keyboard, or even nvidia drivers page. For some reason, your program just always works, it's super consistent. And the other day, I plugged in my ds4 via bluetooth, and suddenly it's communicating with xbstart, it's wonderful. I have had no bad surprises with it, I think it's amazing and please keep up the good work. 

I will be making a small donation (can't really afford much these days) very soon.

I see people are making requests here, I feel bad because I already feel spoiled by how good xbstart is, and the fact that it's free is just fantastic, I really wish there more people like you on the internet; but if I could make a couple suggestions: would it be possible to get the chatpad working? There are drivers knocking about the internet, which work but don't seem to cooperate with xbstart. Another one: if we could have the option to rearrange some of the macros when using mouse mode, that would be awesome; I would also like for the directional pad to be the arrow keys, and to have a backspace button for when browsing chrome. Just a few things you may want to tinker with, I don't know.

My last thing: Will you be working on support for windows 10? I am not joking when I say this will determine whether I even update to windows 10 at all, as I cannot go back to using the mouse and keyboard, when I get home, I simply sit on the couch, turn on the pc and pick up my xbox or ps4 controller, it's the best setup imaginable.

I still do not understand why microsoft has not implemented this yet, they really are not listening to their users!

Again, thanks so much for verything you do, man. I can't say it enough, I am eternally grateful for your work. Xbstart is a way of life for me, never going back.

Edited by Hopelscotch

I'm glad you enjoy using XBStart.

Regarding your suggestions:

1. I keep an eye on that unofficial chatpad driver and as soon the wireless gamepad is implemented I'll make sure it works with XBStart.

2. I can think about remapping the buttons in the mouse mode, not a bad idea.

3. I'll start working on the Windows 10 compatibility in about week time. Not sure about how I'm gonna do it yet as I don't really like the fact of removing the start screen by Microsoft. Personally I don't see that new start menu working as a launcher. Maybe I will make a clone of the Windows 8.1 start screen, no promises though.

Microsoft has no vision and they are very chaotic. Recently they are trying to please everybody, but that is simply impossible.

I completely agree, trying to create an OS that would work on a tablet and on a PC, was stupid. Now they want to make an OS that is inviting to gamers, but I bet they won't be adding native navigation for gamepad and chatpad. They really are a bit rubbish.

This new fullscreen Start Screen gives me cancer. Just look at this. They limited the width to 3 middlesize blocks in a group. Forget about using it as a launcher. It just drains me of my energy. I can't code looking at this monstrocity.

7ttaPDn.png

Hi Oomek, I installed this last night, and what a game-changer. This has revolutionized the way I interact with my HTPC. Thanks so much for your efforts!

It looks like the project to get the chatpad working on Windows has made some significant progress, though I don't think much has happened lately. Any chance you're planning on picking up on the development/integrating it into XBStart?

https://code.google.com/p/xbox360wirelesschatpad/

Hi Oomek, I installed this last night, and what a game-changer. This has revolutionized the way I interact with my HTPC. Thanks so much for your efforts!

It looks like the project to get the chatpad working on Windows has made some significant progress, though I don't think much has happened lately. Any chance you're planning on picking up on the development/integrating it into XBStart?

I replied about the chatpad integration a few posts back, scroll up and check it out.

I replied about the chatpad integration a few posts back, scroll up and check it out.

Wow, I'm an id***. I saw that post but thought it was much older. What do you mean by "as soon as the wireless driver is implemented"? It seems they've gotten a working version.

It looks like the project to get the chatpad working on Windows has made some significant progress, though I don't think much has happened lately. Any chance you're planning on picking up on the development/integrating it into XBStart?https://code.google.com/p/xbox360wirelesschatpad/

Wow, I'm an id***. I saw that post but thought it was much older. What do you mean by "as soon as the wireless driver is implemented"? It seems they've gotten a working version.

It's on the frontpage of their page:

"Currently, only wired controllers are supported. Future plans include investigating support for wireless XBox 360 controllers."

It looks like the project to get the chatpad working on Windows has made some significant progress, though I don't think much has happened lately. Any chance you're planning on picking up on the development/integrating it into XBStart?https://code.google.com/p/xbox360wirelesschatpad/

"Currently, only wired controllers are supported. Future plans include investigating support for wireless XBox 360 controllers."

I think we're talking about two different projects. Are you talking about the Chatpad Super Driver project? That one is only available for wired. But the project I posted has this on their front page:

This application will allow you to use your Xbox 360 Wireless Controllers + Attached Chatpads on a Windows PC cordless through an Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver.

Some users have reported success, others have had some trouble.

I think we're talking about two different projects. Are you talking about the Chatpad Super Driver project? That one is only available for wired. But the project I posted has this on their front page:

This application will allow you to use your Xbox 360 Wireless Controllers + Attached Chatpads on a Windows PC cordless through an Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver.

You are right. I was only aware about the chatpad super driver. I'll look into it, but first I need to get a chatpad.

You are right. I was only aware about the chatpad super driver. I'll look into it, but first I need to get a chatpad.

I admit I know nothing about programming/coding, drivers, etc., but I think it may be a simpler solution than that. Is there a way for a non-XBox360 controller to use XBStart? Windows sees the controller as a "vjoy_raw_device_00" so it would seem that if XBStart could be controlled via that device, it would work.