VirtualBox Windows 98se step by step

Thanks Kurt! Just curious if you have experimented using 98 USP3 in an installation inside VirtualBox? If it worked, it would seem that it might save some installation time and possibly add some features? (Just a wild thought with nothing to back that idea up. :) )

Cheers and Regards

Moved the Intel gigabit Ethernet driver to the optional drivers section

Added Realtek AC97 audio drivers to the optional drivers section

It was a host problem corrupting the audio on one of my Linux boxes, apparently VirtualBox doesn't like dual audio output on the host, so on my home theatre box where I was sending Audio to both the HDMI (TV) and analogue (headphones) outputs screwed it, weird as videos play just fine with dual output

bphlpt - no I haven't tried 98se USP3 in VirtualBox, for one thing I was unaware that it had been resurrected from the dead, although looking at it, it seems to be more work for the average end user than Auto-Patcher as Internet Explorer 6, DirectX 9c and Windows Media Player 9 aren't included

Changed the monitor to Super VGA 1600x1200, it doesn't matter which one you pick as long as it's Super VGA, the allowed resolutions are always the same

Rewrote the installation batch files so that the first one calls the second after the reboot

Found a working command to install Open Office that registers the file associations properly

• 4 weeks later...

Switched from VLC to K-Lite as that installs pretty much all the various codecs that games use

Added a link to the extracted ActiveX Flash player and an archive of the smaller patches

Added a torent of all the patches (it will be quite slow though)

Added usability tip on game CDs

• 1 month later...

Hi Kurt, thanks for the very detailed tutorial. sdd-win-7.0.0.340-BETA.exe leads to a broken download link, I found an alternative via just copy and pasting in Google. If it works, and I get that far without messing up, I'll link it.

SciTech Display Doctor link fixed, the other items (while interesting for historians and developers) would likely just be confusing to those this guide is targeting.

Edited by Kurt_Aust

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you Kurt_Aust. I struggled to do some things here or there because I just didn't know or understand, but the steps you took were so good and simple I eventually got it running. Just want to let you know how grateful I am for your thread here.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the great instruction Kurt_Aust. I am now very happily running some 16 bit programs on my Windows 7 64 bit machine.

Like nicklxxxiii, I had trouble with sdd-win-7.0.0.340-BETA.EXE. My virus scanner didn't like it so the version my original CD image file wouldn't run.

I had to disable Avast, then I download it from http://www.ulozto.net/x2feFxE/sdd-win-7-0-0-340-beta-exe

I checked the MD5 hash at http://www.isthisfilesafe.com/sha1/3B673F6892F68DD59C521489E7DCAD4A2524A3BA_details.aspx which also gave me some confidence that the file was safe. All was good once a new CD image was made.

Also, file sharing seems problematic with Windows 9x guests. I have found that sharing over the network works well. I got the basic instructions from http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/virtualbox-network-sharing.html

I now have a folder "shareddocs" on my host desktop (to the IP address of the guest, in my case 10.1.1.23) which is accessed in the guest via Network Neigborhood / "computer name" / shareddocs

Thanks again for you great instructions.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Does anyone know why the mouse scroll wheel is not working for me?

I tried installing IntelliPoint 4.12 drivers from Microsft and it didn't help.

Creating a USB filter works, but then I can't use my mouse outside of VirtualBox.

Changing to PS/2 mouse causes VirtualBox to abort the VM during boot.

Also, I was able to temporarily access Samba shares on my Linux box by following these instructions: https://support.microsoft.com/kb/239869

I also installed DSClient.

I say temporary because it stopped working after a reboot for some reason :( Looks like maybe DSClient broke it, as uninstalling seems to have it working again.

Edit: Disabling mouse integration seems to make the scroll wheel work. The downside is that you then have to use Right Ctrl + C or + I to break the mouse free from VirtualBox.

Edited by HunterZ

Mouse integration is not perfect, as the guide notes the biggest impact is in games, some of which can effectively be unplayable unless mouse integration is disabled.

As to the scroll wheel not working when mouse integration is on, that is expected behaviour, at least that's what happens to me.

In regards to Samba shares I haven't had any problems accessing my (Mint 17) HTPC and as for DSClient I've never even considered connecting to active directory (not that I could test it).

I ultimately had to change the authentication settings on the Samba server to get reliable connectivity.

Turns out that Win98 in VirtualBox isn't an amazing option for me anyway, though, because 3D acceleration is not supported. It may be useful for non-3D games, but it looks like I'd have to set up a Win2K VM for 3D ones and hope that they work better than they do in Win 7.

No, I don't have any specific games in mind at this time. It was just an experiment because I had the pieces laying around :)

Graphics capability looks like always being a problem with Virtual Machines, not least because the big money in virtualization is for servers.

Why would you need more than 8MB video memory anyway? /Server mentality

Edited by Kurt_Aust