Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Aero Glass for Win8.1 1.2.5

Final release for Win8.1

• Please log in to reply
2011 replies to this topic

NoelC

NoelC

Software Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Seems that every hour, its reporting DWM using high CPU regardless of what I'm doing.

I see those messages logged too.  They seem quite bogus to me, almost along the lines of the snake oil marketing that tries to get you to buy this or that cleaner program.

Only time they stop is when the monitors are off (sleeping, i.e., zero desktop use). 

For what it's worth, everything is instantaneous, and my System Idle process shows numbers like 99.52% just sitting here running Process Hacker, which refreshes every second, and it might go all the way down to 98.28% idle if I do stuff like minimize/restore windows continuously or move windows around.  There's certainly no CPU overutilization.

-Noel

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

raiden89

raiden89

Junior

• Pip
  • 81 posts

Yep thats pretty much what I'm seeing. CPU usage is low all the time unless I'm actively doing something to bring it up. Just thought it strange to see those logs created every hour. Getting idle of 95-98% with mIRC, Cyberfox, Process Hacker, Outlook, Teamviewer, BitTorrent Sync, MBAM Premium, and Pulseway. Definitely no problems here.

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

Aero Glass for Win8 developer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts
For me, it seems happen everytime the display is turned off on inactivity and I turn it on again. I will try to find a place where this thing is logged. Maybe it is some performance thing in DWM which I could fix.
  • slimrock and rocky like this
Aero Glass for Win8.x --> http://www.glass8.eu

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 5,985 posts

Donator

DWM.exe process consumes excessive CPU resources after a lock screen display time-out occurs

http://support.micro...b/2957979/en-us

Posted Image

NoelC

NoelC

Software Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

I'm really never at the lock screen.  My monitors go to sleep on inactivity and awake right back to the desktop.  If my CPU usage DID kick up I imagine I'd hear the system fans speed up.  I do not.

And many times the messages are logged at almost perfect 1 hour intervals.

Plus I've seen those warnings logged while just working steadily, at times when I know the monitors haven't gone to sleep at all in the past hour.

-Noel

raiden89

raiden89

Junior

• Pip
  • 81 posts

I dont use the lock screen or put the PC to sleep ever. I let it go to screensaver which is a Matrix one so it does take up GPU. However, I notice that the logs are generated every hour regardless of whether I'm using screensaver or using the PC normally.

The log for the CPU over-utilization is shown in Event Viewer -> Applications and Services Logs -> Microsoft -> Windows -> Diagnostics-Performance -> Operational in case you want to look into where they're coming from. Doesn't give a lot of info as to what causes the over-utilization tho.

NoelC

NoelC

Software Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

I'm thinking it could be a half-baked self diagnosis and tuning feature that was underway but abandoned when the "leadership" at the time decided to emasculate Windows 8 and turn it into a half-baked toy.  Maybe in their haste to delete desktop Aero functionality they cut something out that would have made the events reasonable.

Think how distant some obscure performance events in a log are from the toy Windows 8 actually became.

-Noel

dhjohns

dhjohns

Legend in My Own Mind

• Pip
  • 92 posts

I'm thinking it could be a half-baked self diagnosis and tuning feature that was underway but abandoned when the "leadership" at the time decided to emasculate Windows 8 and turn it into a half-baked toy.  Maybe in their haste to delete desktop Aero functionality they cut something out that would have made the events reasonable.

Think how distant some obscure performance events in a log are from the toy Windows 8 actually became.

-Noel

Calling Windows 8/8.1 a toy is an opinion that I do not share with you.  My opinion is that Windows 8.1 is simply the best OS that ever graced this fine earth.

f23948

f23948

• 34 posts

September Server Payment

MSFN server running out of money, can anyone donate to MSFN?

http://www.msfn.org/...server-payment/

mikedigitize

mikedigitize

• 17 posts

"My opinion is that Windows 8.1 is simply the best OS that ever graced this fine earth."

Really??

Edited by mikedigitize, Today, 12:34 AM.

daveo76

daveo76

Junior

• Pip
  • 77 posts

My opinion is that Windows 8.1 is simply the best OS that ever graced this fine earth.

If you think it is the best OS then you wouldn't be using Aero Glass. The best windows microsoft had done is Windows 3.11, Windows 95, Windows 98SE, Windows XP, and Windows 7. If bigmuscle didn't do Aero Glass and others didn't do Start menu's and Windows 7 theme for Windows 8. I still be using Windows 7. Now with Windows 9 Preview coming out in 1 month time hope it be better then Windows 8

Edited by daveo76, Today, 04:16 AM.

• MagicAndre1981 likes this

meimeiriver

meimeiriver
  • 9 posts

My opinion is that Windows 8.1 is simply the best OS that ever graced this fine earth.

Um, not really. Windows 7 was, IMHO. Windows 8.x was basically one huge error in judgement, trying to treat everything like a smartphone/tablet. And the guy that came up with the brilliant idea of removing the start-button should receive the 'id*** of the Year' Award.

8.1 tries to undo some of the judgment errors of 8.0, but the whole Metro/Desktop switching remains a convoluted hack.

12 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users

Kelsenellenelvian, meimeiriver

How to remove advertisement from MSFN