bigmuscle

Gentlemen

Am up and running with AeroGlass following a clean install of Windows 8.1 x64 and all is well! Just one question: I've disabled AeroGlass on battery power in the registry but it still seems to be active.

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM

DisableGlassOnBattery DWORD 0x1

How can I tell if AeroGlass is running via the TaskManager? The DWM.exe process is listed as running via DWM-1 both on AC and battery power. (Injection provided at startup using the registry entry rather than the AeroHost task, which wasn't working for me). The symbols seem to be loading correctly and there are no errors reported in the debug file.

Thanks!

dwm.exe process is responsible for desktop composition and it always must be active. The only difference will be that running on battery should disable transparency. If it does not work and windows frames are still transparent on battery, it can be because your battery does not correctly report its status (it means system receives "AC power" or "unknown status" instead of "on battery").

OK, thanks bigmuscle...looks like it is working since transparency is lost on battery power. However, I've now started getting the black boxes everyone else is reporting, along with an error message in the debug file. Will go back to Windows 7 in the meantime (Windows 8 was running hotter and at times refused to shut down properly as well, so I have the feeling Windows 7 is more reliable anyway).

A friend of mine donated but it's not loading his donation key, just gives error 5. Assuming that number is a error being returned. I tried to help him and he's reinstalled several times without any luck. Any ideas as to what could be the reason? He's also generated the key several times.

Had the same problem with black box. Even though my Windows isn‘t localized. And I only got that box in standard user account. Not sure if immediately after logging on or after several hours, because I wasn‘t using it. When I switched back to the admin account (my admin account was left turned on), black box was no longer seen.

Edited by MainDeJustice

bigmuscle, I think I figured out why the blackbox issue is happening.

It looks like "fast boot" feature brings your hooking out of whack. Restarting (= no fast boot) doesn't lead to the blackbox issue and the task is also correctly delayed. However, shutting down, then fast booting leads to blackbox issue.

@Soukyuu You seem to be right. (I commented a few posts ago it seems happen on the first boot of the day for me, which is not a restart.. but cold boot)

I just finished about a dozen full shutdowns to test the theory.

If I disable fast boot, No black box on cold startup.

If fast boot enabled- it happens almost every time.

Now we need a proper solution.

bigmuscle, I think I figured out why the blackbox issue is happening.

It looks like "fast boot" feature brings your hooking out of whack. Restarting (= no fast boot) doesn't lead to the blackbox issue and the task is also correctly delayed. However, shutting down, then fast booting leads to blackbox issue.

Could have something to do with why it kept working when I was restarting, but when I shut down for the night and then turned it on the next morning it wasn't showing transparency.

bigmuscle, I think I figured out why the blackbox issue is happening.It looks like "fast boot" feature brings your hooking out of whack. Restarting (= no fast boot) doesn't lead to the blackbox issue and the task is also correctly delayed. However, shutting down, then fast booting leads to blackbox issue.

Thanks for the tip, I've just realized I had Fast Boot disabled. Now my pc stats in 6 sec but with a permanent black box.

A friend of mine donated but it's not loading his donation key, just gives error 5. Assuming that number is a error being returned. I tried to help him and he's reinstalled several times without any luck. Any ideas as to what could be the reason? He's also generated the key several times.

I'm having this same issue. I've tried everything I can think of, generating new keys, forcing 'Read Only' off, forcing Aerohost.exe to run as admin etc but no matter what I try it won't take my license key.

Maybe someone finds this useful but I had an issue with fresh install of Aero Glass for Win 8.1. 1.0. Installed it to default location -> C:\AeroGlass, where I a put my donation key in. Whenever I would restart the computer it would take approximately ~25seconds after booting into desktop for the aero glass effect to set in.

I noticed that folder “symbols” was missing in the “C:\AeroGlass” so I thought maybe it’s some sort of network issue at the boot that does not allows symbols to download. What I can’t understand even after fixing this issue is how could aero glass set even if “symbols” weren’t there even after those ~25seconds?

I fixed this issue by enabling option to enter password when logging into the computer (by default I have password removed through “netpwliz”). So after I enabled password for the user, the aero glass was loaded (symbols were downloaded and folder "C:\AeroGlass\symbols" was present) as soon as I reached desktop after the login screen. After it was done I removed the password again and no longer it takes the mentioned time for the aero glass effect to set in since the symbols are there in "C:\AeroGlass" sub-folder.

Edited by RoberttDeNiro