bigmuscle

My opinion is that Windows 8.1 is simply the best OS that ever graced this fine earth.

If you think it is the best OS then you wouldn't be using Aero Glass. The best windows microsoft had done is Windows 3.11, Windows 95, Windows 98SE, Windows XP, and Windows 7. If bigmuscle didn't do Aero Glass and others didn't do Start menu's and Windows 7 theme for Windows 8. I still be using Windows 7. Now with Windows 9 Preview coming out in 1 month time hope it be better then Windows 8

Edited by daveo76

My opinion is that Windows 8.1 is simply the best OS that ever graced this fine earth.

Um, not really. Windows 7 was, IMHO. Windows 8.x was basically one huge error in judgement, trying to treat everything like a smartphone/tablet. And the guy that came up with the brilliant idea of removing the start-button should receive the 'id*** of the Year' Award.

8.1 tries to undo some of the judgment errors of 8.0, but the whole Metro/Desktop switching remains a convoluted hack.

Um, not really. Windows 7 was, IMHO. Windows 8.x was basically one huge error in judgement, trying to treat everything like a smartphone/tablet. And the guy that came up with the brilliant idea of removing the start-button should receive the 'id*** of the Year' Award.

8.1 tries to undo some of the judgment errors of 8.0, but the whole Metro/Desktop switching remains a convoluted hack.

Removing the Start Button was the best achievement for Windows 8!  I hated that thing.  The Metro/Desktop switching is a godsend!

Edited by dhjohns

If you think it is the best OS then you wouldn't be using Aero Glass. The best windows microsoft had done is Windows 3.11, Windows 95, Windows 98SE, Windows XP, and Windows 7. If bigmuscle didn't do Aero Glass and others didn't do Start menu's and Windows 7 theme for Windows 8. I still be using Windows 7. Now with Windows 9 Preview coming out in 1 month time hope it be better then Windows 8

I can use whichever enhancements I choose.  I would use Windows 8.1 regardless.  Actually 3.11 was good, 95 was bad, Windows Millenium, was awesome, as was XP, and 7, but 8.1 blows them all out of the water!

The best part is when he says "My opinion...." and you guys quote it and then argue with him anyway. Good job cluttering up the thread with useless bullsh*t.

If he said, "Windows 8.1 is the best OS" as if it was a matter of fact, then it would make sense. But arguing with him on his opinion is like arguing with him over his music choice.

genius-photo.png

And I agree with you 100% that it is your opinion.  ;)

Perhaps we can both agree that we hope new versions will just keep getting better and better.

-Noel

It has always been 'my opinion' that the odd numbered versions have been best. 3.11, 98, XP, and 7. Always built on new bases. 8.1 is better than 8, but if MS is true to form, version 9 should be a winner. We will just have to see.

It is interesting to learn how "98" is an odd number, and that as well "XP" is not only a number, but an odd one :w00t:.

I believe that in the case of Wndows 98 also "Second Edition" is considered an odd number.

And of course I have rarely seen a such vast "common base", entirely unlike "new", as between Windows 95 and Windows 98 and between Windows 2000 and Windows XP. :whistle:

BUT, you may be interested in the moves of the short-sighted bishop and of the limping knight ;):

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/155290-windows-8-deeper-impressions/page-11#entry996327

jaclaz

It has always been 'my opinion' that the odd numbered versions have been best. 3.11, 98, XP, and 7. Always built on new bases. 8.1 is better than 8, but if MS is true to form, version 9 should be a winner. We will just have to see.

Windows OS favorability oddly follows the similar trend of Star Trek movie favorability. I wonder what other products alternate between :w00t:  and :puke: releases.

It is interesting to learn how "98" is an odd number, and that as well "XP" is not only a number, but an odd one :w00t:.

I believe that in the case of Wndows 98 also "Second Edition" is considered an odd number.

And of course I have rarely seen a such vast "common base", entirely unlike "new", as between Windows 95 and Windows 98 and between Windows 2000 and Windows XP. :whistle:

BUT, you may be interested in the moves of the short-sighted bishop and of the limping knight ;):

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/155290-windows-8-deeper-impressions/page-11#entry996327

jaclaz

LOL, 98 is even and so is "second."  Actually, Windows Me was the third permutation of 98.  Three is an odd number, and Me was the quickest, prettiest, and most customizable.  I had far less problems with Me than I did with any of the others in the 98 series. 

Now to "bake your noodle" a bit...

Imagine that Microsoft itself notices these market trends where their roughly alternating releases do better or worse...  What do you suppose they do to act on that?

Imagine sitting in a cubicle planning along these lines:  "...Well, we're making money hand over fist now, so what ditzy/risky projects can we undertake while times are so good?..."

It's pretty clear - and has been since about 30 minutes after the Windows 8 Developer Preview was released (obviously longer inside Microsoft) - that Windows 8 won't be a giant success amongst business users (my own adoption notwithstanding).  So it's clearly been time to play.  Then comes the time the poor, poor executives are cut loose and the next round of serious work begins.

Now re-imagine that these alternating success stories are now not the whims of the market, but they are being made on purpose.

-Noel

Imagine sitting in a cubicle planning along these lines:  "...Well, we're making money hand over fist now, so what ditzy/risky projects can we undertake while times are so good?..."

Sure, how do you think they could otherwise ever have thought of making Microsoft Bob? ;)

Still the difference was that it was an alternative shell (i.e. not like removing the Windows 3.x or 8x/NT interface altogether and forcing Bob on all users):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Bob

jaclaz

I was going to add Aeroglass to a new machine and the web site appears to have moved or it was taken down. Is there a valid URL to download the installer and generate a new key? Windows 8.1 is just a nasty, butt ugly OS without Aero.

...the web site appears to have moved or it was taken down ...

I can access it fine from here :unsure::

http://www.glass8.eu/

jaclaz

Thank you. That did not come up in my Google Search and the links I had saved to the previous URL (berlios.de web domain) were no longer valid. Got it installed on the new system. Looks much better now.