Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

[SOLVED] Win XP Pro SP3 freshly installed won't update

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

pigdrive

pigdrive
  • Members
  • 1 posts

I've recently tried reinstalling windows XP on a system that crashed. When I go to Windows Update, I don't get prompted to install an Active X component for Windows Update (I think there is one), and my system keeps stuck on the "Checking For Update" screen. It just keeps scanning and scanning, nothing happens. Anyone have any suggestions? I've even tried downloading the IE8 offline update and even when that is installed nothing...

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developers
  • 13,407 posts

See if this helps:

http://www.msfn.org/...update-trouble/

jaclaz

Ponch

Ponch

MSFN Junkie

• Patrons
  • 3,181 posts

I faced same problem yesterday, installed a french ACER recovery (Ghost image from the manufacturer) and applied french SP3 on it. After that Windows update would just display an error code for which MS help site was "not available" (are they just too busy "prepping"?). The download (from -X-) linked by Jaclaz above did unlock the situation.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developers
  • 13,407 posts

The download (from -X-) linked by Jaclaz above did unlock the situation.

Still, this is a very unofficial way:

http://www.msfn.org/...uble/?p=1048617

Possibly the "more official" method summed up by submix8c here:

http://www.msfn.org/...uble/?p=1064521

will do as well, without needing to download from mediafire a file from a "stranger" (mind you, the file is "OK" :), and - X - is a known and highly reputed member for us that know him since a looong time, but he may appear not like that to a new member of the Forum :ph34r:).

jaclaz

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 3,888 posts

The Mediafire file's Script Code is exactly (AFAICT) the same as the UDC Script Code, so you should be fine using it. I believe -X- was just trying to help in that one instance. The link to my post "basically" indicates you -also- should/could use the additional other two. That's the intent of the "Needed for Windows Update".

JFYI

P.S. - I had thought of "stripping" the WUA Code and uploading myself (with instructions about getting the three programs), but didn't want to step on -X-'s toes. ;) I do believe the "last version" of the Script (before -X- incorporated it in UDC) is still here on MSFN.

Five pages of reading material -

http://www.msfn.org/...on-do-you-have/

Maybe the Script part of the Mediafire Link could be put in a Last Post there along with "where to get the 3 programs" and have done with it, forever pointing folks to it.

Side note - Member "pigdrive" seems to have disappeared. Wonder if it worked for them too? :unsure:

Ponch

Ponch

MSFN Junkie

• Patrons
  • 3,181 posts

without needing to download from mediafire a file from a "stranger" (mind you, the file is "OK" :), and - X - is a known and highly reputed member for us that know him since a looong time, but he may appear not like that to a new member of the Forum :ph34r:).

Well... now that I see that your name appears in the batch that's in the zip, I'll be more cautious with -X-'s files. :lol:

dencorso

dencorso

Adiuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Super Moderator
  • 5,549 posts

Donator

For the record: 've just installed another XP machine afresh (using slipstreamed SP3 with driverpacks.net CPU, Chipset, LAN and Mass Storage drivers) -- and duly got the expected "Error number: 0x8024D001"

So I:...and it just worked!

So I'm marking this thread [Solved], since the OP disappeared but the problem is already solved. :yes:

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developers
  • 13,407 posts

Well... now that I see that your name appears in the batch that's in the zip, I'll be more cautious with -X-'s files. :lol:

Naaah:

:: PARTCOPY info courtesy of jaclaz and dencorso

:: PARTCOPY no longer needed. Using split instead

my little (and possibly bad :w00t:) influence has been eradicated from it ;).

jaclaz

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 3,888 posts

BAHAHAH!

Read that thread, particularly post#95 (rationale)...

Also this (post #42): In the Full UDC Script...

:: Windows Update Agent by submix8c!
:: WUA files info courtesy of ricktendo64 and 5eraph
:: SFX and XVI32 info courtesy of WildBill
:: PARTCOPY (split) info courtesy of jaclaz and dencorso

Don't count on the Stand-Alone, which is not necessarily widely distributed, unlike the Full Script. It was largely a group effort. :yes: :thumbup

"One thing leads to another..." (a song in there somewhere)

5eraph

5eraph

Update Packrat

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 1,102 posts

Donator

"[I've] seen [my] name on the walls..."

Ponch

Ponch

MSFN Junkie

• Patrons
  • 3,181 posts

Whohoo, a music clip without booty shake... so 80s :thumbup ! Blast from the past !

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN